FebNoWriMo!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
February is here, and so it's time for a new thread. And goals. We all have goals, so share them (and your progress) here!

My goal is to finish editing TEC and start submitting it to agents. After that, start editing something else. Also, finalise my short story and submit it. And try to read more.

I go back to Uni in March, so February is an important month. I need to strike the right balance between being productive and relaxing.

So what are your goals? 50k words like a normal WriMo? Anyone doing FAWM? Or do you just want to edit?

Go!

electroweakstar

Just keep swimming...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
electroweakstar.wordpress.com
My friends and I are doing a thing I came up with called 28K/28D ( #28K28days ). 28K in 28 Days doesn't sound like much but the goal is to work on a variety of "finishing" or short-form things as opposed to dropping 50K on one new novel.

I'm actually doing 28K/28K/28D. The middle K is Kilometers (running). ;-) 'cause I'm silly.

So.. those are my goals!

ucf612

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I think I might try that 28K in 28 days thing. I have one novel I'm almost finished with so I could wrap that up and then spend the rest of the time either working on finishing my first novel (which is currently trunked) or rewriting my 2nd novel, or a combo.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Working on my first novel, I had set myself a goal of writing 25K.
Now I think I might get in on this 28K/28D business. Nice idea, electro!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited chapter 19/27 on TEC just then. Hooray!

Wound up adding a grand total of 3 words... I wrote about 200, but cut just as much. Clunky dialogue and not enough characterisation.

8 chapters to go! Eek! Going to have to start bracing myself for submitting this thing. Up to page 68/91.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Goal for February: Finish my big, bad, ugly edit for Part III (the final section). It's a total of about 35k words, so I really need to figure on about a chapter a day.

I'm at that point where I'm not sure if I love or hate my novel, but if there's one thing I am, it's determined (or just stubborn?) so I figure once I get through this edit, I can re-evaluate. Though, I'm really thinking it's just a phase. I really do like my story. (No, I don't. Yes, I do.)

Also, I finished a draft of a query that *might* actually work. Though I am afraid that it might be a bit on the long side (294 words without including the salutation or closing/contact info). Only a few more posts until I can venture into SYW. (Scary!)

MeganJoWrites

Superpowers: Making babies, writing
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote this in another thread, but I'm going to treat Feb as NaNoWriMo. I worked better with deadlines (it's my reporter roots). And once I have an idea, I write fast.

So, I'm going for 50K this month on my WIP. I'm excited! The characters are really coming at me fast and clearly want to be heard, so I think I'll make my goal.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited chapter 20/27, adding about 40 words. It was a long chapter, and took a long time, but it didn't need to be improved very much. Well, one scene I'm not sure if it should even be in there, but it has some merits, so I didn't delete it. :)

7 chapters left to go, 7 days till my family gets back from their holiday. I've edited 5 chapters these last 2 days, so I think I can get it finished before they get back. Hooray!

I feel like playing a game right now, but my desktop's disc drive is all wonky (needs new drivers, but I can't be arsed finding them right now) so it'll have to be on the laptop. I've never gamed on the laptop before... I imagine it'll be more difficult without a proper mouse. But yeah, I'm in the mood for it, so why not?

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I'm aiming to finish the draft I started in January and do a whole lot of character profiles and outlining for my Major Project. 40k on the WIP and whatever it takes on the planning.

I also need to explore the best way to make plunger coffee. Any hints from the community?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The game I wanted to play won't work in Windows 7. Ack!

I have a rather small number of games, actually, so I don't have many options. But the one I wanted to play... It was a game plus 2 expansions, and I adored that game, but yeah, if it doesn't work on Win7, then it probably won't work on Win8 either. So I can never play them again. :(

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Is it too new of an OS for the game, Cliff? I had an old game that I used to play when I was about 10 that only worked for Windows 98 and below and wouldn't play on my Vista computer, so after the 98's sound crashed I couldn't play it anymore... I got it to work just fine on my 7 computer somehow, though. Might be worth looking into seeing if there's something you can do to get it to install. :)

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
It installed fine, but said there was a compatibility error with Win7. So I did some searching online, and it seems everyone's encountered this problem, with no ready answers for how to fix it.

So instead of gaming, I've been watching Charmed. :D I've seen the entire series once before, and a number of seasons on TV years ago, but decided to rewatch them.

This is why I buy DVDs instead of renting them though! I rewatch things a lot. It might cost 2 or 3 times the money upfront to buy instead of rent, but then I can watch them as many times as I want. :)

*looks over at massive DVD collection* Yeah, if I ever buy more DVDs, I'm going to need more storage units and more space... :tongue

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
First 1K down! 27 to go. :)

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I have two short stories I want to finish this month. I wanted to try something different for one story, so I asked some people I know on Livejournal to give me two of the most absurd writing prompts they could think of.

One of my favorite authors did this, and I thought it sounded like fun. So, I thought I'd give it a go.

So far I've gotten two response, an Egyptian scarab and Cheerios, and Rice Krispie treats and volcanoes.

Yeah...it's worked wonders. I've got just over 1K written already. :D

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I went to check in on the January thread, and then realised it wasn't January anymore. I'm having a hard time keeping track of things :tongue

Anyway, to actually set some specific goals for this month:

• Finish getting the cut-through pass into the computer
  • Finally revise the stack of stories I have from W1S1 last year, and get them submitted
  • Start plotting the new novel (I don't generally plot, so I expect this to take time)
  • Keep on top of my chores (I am really bad at this, so it needs to be a goal :))
  • Find a way to pull off exercise and writing, instead of one of the other
I expect some of those will be repeated next month :tongue

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Another day, another (just over) 1K.

TMCan

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to whip my tush into shape and start doing more than the occasional writing. So, though it isn't much to most people, my Feb goal is to write at least 500 words a day (the more the better). This would give me a good chunk of writing since my over all 2013 goal is to finish my two in progress novels.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
My goals for January didn't work out so well. Too busy.

In February, I want to:

*keep up with my school work (the obvious goal...)
*read... 5 non-school books... (tentative goal... not sure about the number)
*write SOMETHING not-school related. ANYTHING not school related. I don't care if it's just ONE SENTENCE. just something.
*not spend so much money on food/Boyfriend/books/other (Boyfriend lost his iPod for several weeks, so I ordered him a new one two nights ago for an early birthday present, purple and engraved and pretty... And then somehow the old one turns up later that same night after being gone for so long... >.> Oh well. Too late now. Just a shuffle, so it's not like I spent a couple hundred dollars or so on something he doesn't need...)
*play video games at some point. have no idea how I didn't manage to do this one last month.
*oh yeah, and finish two scholarship applications that are both due in the middle of the month.

That's all. For now. :D The first and last of those are the only essential required ones, but I'm going to try to do the other ones too.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I have an iPod Shuffle. It's awesome. Much better than the generic mp3 player I had been using before that. :)

Ugh. Haven't gotten anything done yet today. I spent a good chunk of the day in bed. I've had a headache that's kicking my arse... Needed to lie down in a dark room for a while.

Headache's still there, but not quite so severe.