Registered
Reaction score
@Hillz: Oh YES. I *did*.

;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I'm 10 points from 10,000 rep points. You folks love me. You really really love me.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love you guys :heart:

(5 points to go. Someone is worth more than 1 point a rep!)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And here's to obsessive rep checking because now I'm at 10,004 points :D

:banana:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
@Eye- What's next on the watch list? Um. I have The Hunger Games lined up for the fall. Are there any good summer releases?

And glad you enjoyed it.

@Ali- Whats so hard about Black Sheep?

Which movies?

:Hug2: Want a acupressure trained massage smibble?

On the bright side, I'm not planning a war.

sorry for the ad in front of it, but this gives me so much of happiness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKnF26qFFM

Well that's to be expected living on Dagobah.

My home this is!

And here's to obsessive rep checking because now I'm at 10,004 points :D

:banana:

Don't be greedy - I gave you lots of 'em! :) hee hee!

oh and the movies I watched yesterday, as I was asked:
What's your number
The Hangover
Star Trek
Cabin in the Woods
Love Actually

I was not jokin' around with the movie watching.

And the baby ducklings are sitting up on the bank w/ mama and papa duck! I wanna squish em they are so kewt!

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Bettie, you went to town on the movie watching. Which of yesterday's binge was your favorite?

Yesterday I watched This Means War, which I kept saying I wasn't going to watch. One of my friends loved the movie, though, so I caved and it was actually fun.

Then hubs and I re-watched Shaun of the Dead for the zillionth time. It is always a good pick.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
If that's what floats your steampunk dreadnought, you really need to get into China Mieville. Pretty much any part of his oeuvre, but I recommend his Bas Lag trilogy (Perdido Street Station, The Scar and - most politically and astutely - Iron Council) for a set of superbly written, politically sophisticated, subtle and nuanced urban fantasies. The guy is my favourite living novelist, bar none, and that's as much for how he writes as what he writes about. If you haven't read any of his stuff, prepare to have whole new vistas blown wide open in front of your living brain. He really is that good and I cannot recommend him highly enough to anyone who will listen.

I have heard much about china mieville. I was undecided on whether to have a go, mainly because I have heard that sometimes he can get caught up in the fanciness of his words.

I'll have to give it a go now.

Otherwise, good morning all :)

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
So hard to pick CAM....I can quote whole verses of The Hangover... but does that make it my fave, or just quotable? I have such a soft spot for Star Trek, esp. with the new one coming out.... and What's Your Number and Love Actually are my fave rom coms, and I pick those carefully.

I just can't pick....maybe I'll go watch Star Trek again just to see ... :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for duck family watching! And I'm not greedy, just obsessed :)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I was told in real life I'm pretty much like the fat bearded guy from The Hangover, minus the drugs.

I second the China Miéville recommendation! Perdido Street Station is one of the most memorable books I have read.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have heard much about china mieville. I was undecided on whether to have a go, mainly because I have heard that sometimes he can get caught up in the fanciness of his words.

I wanted to like Perdido, I really, really did.

I just could not carry through with it, and much of it was the "gee, aren't I clever" - ness of it all.

You may have better luck, and frankly I want to make a second go of it, as it reminded me somewhat of reading Hal Duncan's Vellum, which took me a second try to get through (but was very much worth it when I did).

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

I just could not carry through with it, and much of it was the "gee, aren't I clever" - ness of it all.

You may have better luck, and frankly I want to make a second go of it, as it reminded me somewhat of reading Hal Duncan's Vellum, which took me a second try to get through (but was very much worth it when I did).

This was pretty much my take, too.

I really wanted to like it much more than I did...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I just watched Dune for the first time... please tell me the novel it's based on is better. Anyone?

Which movie? The David Lynch one (which was cut from the length it was supposed to be, and if you can get your hands on the 4 hr bootleg is honestly much better), or the mini-series, which I found gorgeous and faithful and yet a little lacking in the epicness the novel requires.

And the novel is, at any rate, far more complex than either of them. It was one of the first "adult" novels I read, and along with Tolkien it remains one of the few series I consistently pick up once a decade or so and re-read.

Though, fair warning, there are only 6 books. Whatever else the library or the bookstore my try and tell you. Only SIX.

Trust me on this.

I'm the exception then. I thought it was a so-so Lawrence of Arabia ripoff :p.

:Wha:

Then you have badly misread/miswatched one or the other of those, if not both entirely.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score

Then you have badly misread/miswatched one or the other of those, if not both entirely.

I can see the parallels in the base plot: a young man "going native" from a familiar culture into an exotic nomadic one. But there's a whole lot MORE there, on both sides. Very different characters and narratives.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Which movie? The David Lynch one (which was cut from the length it was supposed to be, and if you can get your hands on the 4 hr bootleg is honestly much better), or the mini-series, which I found gorgeous and faithful and yet a little lacking in the epicness the novel requires.

And the novel is, at any rate, far more complex than either of them. It was one of the first "adult" novels I read, and along with Tolkien it remains one of the few series I consistently pick up once a decade or so and re-read.

Though, fair warning, there are only 6 books. Whatever else the library or the bookstore my try and tell you. Only SIX.

Trust me on this.

Only six!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina.

If that's what floats your steampunk dreadnought, you really need to get into China Mieville. Pretty much any part of his oeuvre, but I recommend his Bas Lag trilogy (Perdido Street Station, The Scar and - most politically and astutely - Iron Council) for a set of superbly written, politically sophisticated, subtle and nuanced urban fantasies. The guy is my favourite living novelist, bar none, and that's as much for how he writes as what he writes about. If you haven't read any of his stuff, prepare to have whole new vistas blown wide open in front of your living brain. He really is that good and I cannot recommend him highly enough to anyone who will listen.

I'll have to give it a go now.

Admittedly I haven't read the three Bas Lag novels, but I have read The City & The City and Embassytown because I have been reading the BSFA Best Novel shortlist since 2009*. I wasn't overwhelmed by City and REALLY didn't get on with Embassytown, which I would have given up on if I wasn't the kind of masochist who rarely doesn't finish what I start reading. No characters, just names. And a distinct whiff of naked emperors to me.

*I sometimes shudder at the thought of the 2001 shortlist, when the two major contenders were Perdido (about 250k words) and Mary Gentle's Ash (about 450k). I read the latter to, in and from Australia in 2010, otherwise it would have taken me about two months to get through - was worth it though.

Himself has updated the driver for the computer wireless dongle. It flashes now. Everyone go Oooo at the flashing dongle.*

:D

* because I know you just can't resist the innuendo.

I have a memory stick that flashes on insertion.

I love you guys :heart:

(5 points to go. Someone is worth more than 1 point a rep!)

We love you, Fenika!

I don't know how many points my reps are worth...

oh and the movies I watched yesterday, as I was asked:
What's your number
The Hangover
Star Trek
Cabin in the Woods
Love Actually

Not seen the first two, have seen the others. Something puts me off The Hangover (there's a Part III on its way) for some reason, but that may be my loss.

My watching so far this weekend:

Black Sheep (Lovefilm Instants streaming)
The Facility (cinema)
The Look of Love (cinema)
The Evil Dead (original from 1982) (DVD)
The Help (Lovefilm rental Blu-ray)
first two episodes of Doctor Who: The Visitation (DVD review checkdisc)

And lined up for today: Somersault (Lovefilm Instants streaming - to be rewatched as reviewing prep for the same director's new film Lore, which is out on Blu-ray and DVD later this month)
Holy Motors (Lovefilm rental Blu-ray)
and the rest of The Visitation

I'm watching that movie, YA on Amazon, and it's making me really uncomfortable. Like I don't know what this crazy bitch is gonna do or say.

And maybe how accurate the ennui is ....

And the music is terrible.

If that's the movie Young Adult, I liked it a lot, though as it's a very black comedy it won't be for everyone. Charlize Theron should have been Oscar-nominated for it.

Interesting that her character name is Mavis - that's somewhat of an old-lady name in the UK. Maybe it's not in the US? (And her surname is my first name...)

Good morning again. Coffee and breakfast beckons.

Last edited:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning :Sun:

I went to bed with a headache and I woke up with one. I guess it's not the same one but it makes me grumpy all the same. It won't help that I have to sit near a computer for most of the day. At least i get to talk to you gais.

I have been 2 points away from 1700 forever. Actually, I'm happy to stay that way. don't rep me.

:Coffee:

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ALL THE NOISE.

I underestimated how crazy this would make me :eek: I am totally on edge and trembling :Wha:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Hang on in there, 10s :Hug2:

And a :Hug2: to Ali for a banished headache.

Right, another coffee and time to read the paper and watch the second half of a Dr Who serial before lunch...

Status
Not open for further replies.