Quick question about dedications

Status
Not open for further replies.

irenadel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
teobath.blogspot.com
Would it look terribly unprofessional to put a dedication "To Such and Such" at the top of my short story manuscript when I send it out for consideration?

Should I wait until I get acceptance to add anything like that?

Thanks for the help!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Wait to get accepted first. It really has no relevance to the submission, nor is it going to make them like your story more or less.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Wait until it's accepted, and then talk to the editor. I have dedicated a couple of short stories, but the dedication essentially replaced the "about the writer" blurb that followed the stories.

If the magazine doesn't use such blurbs at the end of a story, you'll just have to ask the editor, and see what can be done. Like jaksen, I don't remember seeing such dedications on short stories anywhere.

Though if you should manage to publish a collection of your stories, it's a whole new deal. There you have the room to do what you like.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Wait until it's accepted, and then talk to the editor. I have dedicated a couple of short stories, but the dedication essentially replaced the "about the writer" blurb that followed the stories.

Agreed. You can put a dedication in the author by-line at the end if your story is accepted.

irenadel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
teobath.blogspot.com
Thanks a lot for your answers! I'll wait until acceptance then.

I've published a couple of short stories but they've been with a friend's indie publishing house. So I get away with a lot more because she trusts my work XD. I had done a dedication before, just something really short "For John Doe" write below the heading.

But best play it safe with the other magazines. Thanks again for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.