Not open for further replies.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
This has been bothering me for some time. I hope some AWers can help me on this, or we can get a good discussion going.

Over and over again, I'm reading people stating that paperbacks and hardcover books are real books. That they need to hold a real book in their hands, turn the pages, etc. I get that. I get that many need the tactile feel of paper. But that's not what's bothering me, and I'm asking for help.

How can an ebook not be a "real" book? It's written by a human being, it's published either by that person or a publisher, and, by definition, if you look up the word "book," it includes ebooks.

People who post in comments sections of online newspapers or news sites, keep referring to hardcopy books as real books, and actually give thumbs down if someone says that ebooks are real books.

Am I missing something here?

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
They're using the term as physical. Like I have many "real" movies on my entertainment center, but I own a few movies on Amazon as well.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
If I own a print book, with proper care I and my descendants can own it for decades, even longer. If I own an ebook, it's gone as soon as the hardware dies or the cloud owner goes out of business. That's the fundamental difference to me. An ebook is more of a long-term loan. Amazon may not be around for my grandkids, but my childhood copy of Goodnight Moon probably will be.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
In the accounting world, they are not known as real accounting records, but hardcopies. The electronic version is the softcopy. Hardcopies are a requirement for legal procedures.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the accounting world, they are not known as real accounting records, but hardcopies. The electronic version is the softcopy. Hardcopies are a requirement for legal procedures.

Yup.

MM

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I can do you one better. When I told my parents I had a phone call with an editor, I was asked if it was a "real" publisher, which they explained as one that prints physical books.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, "real" means that the person speaking can relate to it as being that way. Lots of people haven't experienced ebooks, so that's not a real format to them. Lots of people (I daresay everyone, but that's too inclusive for the entire world) have experienced printed paper books, and those have been standard for centuries.

Give it another 10 years or so. I remember when cell phones and home computers weren't real to most folks. I can even remember when calculators weren't, so it's just a matter of time for the perceptions to change.

Deleted member 42

There's also a related issue; they're identifying the container as the "book," not the contents. Books have been written on stone/clay, bark, silk, vellum/parchment, and paper. They've been "contained" in tablets, scrolls, gathered leaves, and codices.

A file and silicon aren't all that different.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I can imagine "book" as referring exclusively to physical books. But then there's no such thing as "fake" books, just books and not books. Either way what you have in an ereader is a "real" novel or a "real" anthology or a "real" biography, because those are terms based on content, not physical form.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, "real" books are ones you read and enjoy.

It doesn't matter what format they're in so long as you read them and enjoy them.

But I do understand why people call print editions "real" books: it's what they're used to. It's wrong, but it's what they're used to.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
"Physical" or "hardcopy" would be less judgy terms.
What's funny is that I wouldn't have considered real book to be a judgement to get upset about. The reason is in what Hapax Legomenon said:
I can imagine "book" as referring exclusively to physical books. But then there's no such thing as "fake" books, just books and not books. Either way what you have in an ereader is a "real" novel or a "real" anthology or a "real" biography, because those are terms based on content, not physical form.
To me, the term book has usually referred to the format. I don't know if I do consider ebooks to be real books. They're electronic files. They contain real content, yes, but are they real books? That's harder to say. They're real ebooks because ebook is another format. I'm kind of divided on this one. No doubt in the future the term book will mean ebook as well, but right now I still think of a book and an ebook as different forms. No value judgement. Just different formats.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I guess the thing is that I listen to a significant amount of audiobooks, and would probably NOT consider those to be "real books", even though it's like reading a book. I mean I think the problem isn't whether it's linguistically a "book" or not but we put so much of a value judgement on "books" as opposed to all other formats and that's not helping anyone.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
They're using the term as physical. Like I have many "real" movies on my entertainment center, but I own a few movies on Amazon as well.

Yeah, I have Real Life friends and I have Online friends. "Real Life" is often used to distinguish from electronic goings on. :Shrug:

OP: Do you think people value e-books less than "real" books?

There's also a related issue; they're identifying the container as the "book," not the contents. Books have been written on stone/clay, bark, silk, vellum/parchment, and paper. They've been "contained" in tablets, scrolls, gathered leaves, and codices.

A file and silicon aren't all that different.

I'm glad you mentioned that, because it's a concept I first encountered here at AW and have puzzled over.

I'd never heard "book" used in that way before. I guess I would have referred to the contents as text, or manuscript, or writings, or something similar.

I grew up with "book" being the container. And the various types, being descriptors. I remember in school being told to call a long story a novel, not a book. That "book" was a generic term for anything bound and printed (excluding magazines, newspapers etc.). An anthology was a book of short stories.

I wonder if "book" in the vernacular means one thing and to scholars it means another. ?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I have been over this time and again with friends and family. I now refer to versions of a book when I am asked it I have got this or that book.

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
People are just using the word "real" to mean "physical" or "not digital". It's probably a careless use of words, really, but understandable enough?

Deleted member 42

There's already a specific name for what many mean by a "real" book:

Codex.

Codex describes the binding; leaves, gathered together at the spine.

If you want to specify printed (rather than hand-lettered) you can say printed codex book, or even printed book.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Writers have been using the term book to describe content rather than the packaging for a long time.

For example, The Lord of the Rings is a single novel made up of three volumes each containing two books (it is six books total).

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the driving pup (and btw, is that really a good idea? Is he licensed?). We use 'real' to denote 'not virtual/electronic' in a number of areas. I don't think it's judgmental or book-specific.

Friends in rl as opposed to friends online doesn't denigrate the online.

If you wrote your grandmother a letter and specified 'a real letter,' I'd know you meant a physical letter, on paper, sent by snail mail. I think real is interchangeable with physical for people in that kind of context.

:Shrug:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Before spouting out an opinion, e.g. "only paper books are real," people need to ask themselves a question. Will this make others, "people who write and read digital books," feel rotten and crummy? If so then plz stop a moment and consider not saying what you have planned. Is it really necessary? Is your opinion really worth making others feel bad? (My 2 cents.)

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't think that "real" is actually a distinguisher to digital. Note, when you refer to fleshspace friends, you say real-life friends, not "real" friends. Your online friends would probably be offended if you called only your real-life friends your real friends.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The friends you find
In the wild world
are fleshspace friends.
The liaisons on-line
you talk to with type
are electric eclectic,
wonderful wits
you spar or spare