The 10 worst pieces of advice on writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
The write what you know thing always confused me. Is Stephen King writing about things he knows? Gosh, I really hope not. What about fantasy and dystopia? I certainly hope all the crime novels from the points of view of the killer aren't written by people who know how to kill or what a killer is thinking on an intimate level!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The write what you know thing always confused me. Is Stephen King writing about things he knows? Gosh, I really hope not. What about fantasy and dystopia? I certainly hope all the crime novels from the points of view of the killer aren't written by people who know how to kill or what a killer is thinking on an intimate level!

I've always taken it to be about emotion and perspective rather than facts and information.

Even when writing from a different perspective, you have to find a part of it in yourself to write it effectively.

It's what comes from you that makes your writing powerful.

Think of "know" as being about heart rather than mind.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Writers discussing such things in forums love to discuss how "show, don't tell" is allegedly such bad advice, and adduce endless counter-examples. Meanwhile, "telling rather than showing" is probably one of the commonest reasons for agents rejecting slush-pile manuscripts within the first page or two.

I've seen a substantial number of agents' twitter complaints about that on #tenqueries, etc. Definitely one of the top reasons they choose to #pass.

That's my issue, what exactly does show not tell mean? In one how to write book, it means showing everything that happens in a scene you see. In yet another situation, it meant using showing adjectives.

To me, it's good to show the interesting or dramatically compelling bits - when long-lost siblings reunite, when boy meets girl, etc. - and then tell the boring bits - like getting ready for work, going from a to b, or anything that's not that important to the story. If it's not interesting, there's no need to go into detail about it.

A long time ago I read a book that met a far wall several times, and it did the reverse. Everything with dramatic potential was exposition, and the dull, routine bits were in action and dialogue. I see it as lazy writing, personally.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Yesh, 'write what you know' is terrible/good advice. It also encompasses 'write what you imagine' and write into your work the little experiences you've had and make them large.

I wrote a story about a Selkie once and I pulled on the experience of having touched a seal skin coat in an antique store once, to describe the seal pelt. Very often, it's just these little things that help. People also act like you have to be living some grand adventure travelling the world, getting super drunk and partying all the time in order to write. Which is ridiculous.

I also just read Gabriel Garcia Marquez book- and mind blown! The whole book is a lot of telling with showing, and a little bit of dialogue, and my GAWD it was the most compelling thing I've read in ages! But everything lies in the execution. Which is also what people don't always understand. You can do anything if you can do it exceptionally well, and honestly, how many of us can write like GGM?

Last edited:

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score

"Know" doesn't necessarily mean having "personal experience." Lots of people have never had the "personal experience" of being in space, but they can still work for NASA. Most homicide detectives have not had the "personal experience" of committing first degree murder, but they are still considered experts in their field. I think "know" is just a way of saying "do your damn research." If you're writing a criminal procedure story, then "know" about criminal procedure.

Even when it comes to fantasy and dystopias, there are still aspects you can do research on to make sure your world is internally consistent. And you still need to "know," to some extent, "how will humankind/these characters react in this situation."

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Think of "write what you know" not as a limitation about what you can't write about, but as a way to make your writing more powerful.

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
1. Always make sure you write in a crowded noisy room. You're out to capture humanity, right?
2. Mum knows best. If she likes it you've got a bestseller.
3. Instead of walk say perambulate. The readers are paying for words they do not know.
4. Always be clear how the speaker is feeling. Don't say "I'm angry," Bob said; say "I'm angry," Bob exploded!!!!
5. As above make sure the audience know the exciting bits, always use plenty of exclamation points!!!!!
6. If your character has a strong regional accent make sure you show it. "Wot is it yo is doin' innit." This is especially true for other ethnicities and nationalities.
7. Txt spk is in. Use it.
8. Plot is unimportant. The modern world is all about how you feel. Make sure the reader knows how you feel. Feel free to insert your opinions into characters' mouths.
9. Don't say, "Bob was angry," say, "Bob was angrily furiously apoplectically incandescently enraged." Let the reader know.
10. One draft should always do it. When finished send it immediately to an agent. But copyright it first in case they steal your idea. Always send photocopies on onion skin. Keep it cheap and send it fast. Keep it HOT HOT HOT!!!!!

Your bestseller awaits, what are YOU waiting for???!!!!

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. Always make sure you write in a crowded noisy room. You're out to capture humanity, right?
3. Instead of walk say perambulate. The readers are paying for words they do not know.
4. Always be clear how the speaker is feeling. Don't say "I'm angry," Bob said; say "I'm angry," Bob exploded!!!!
5. As above make sure the audience know the exciting bits, always use plenty of exclamation points!!!!!
6. If your character has a strong regional accent make sure you show it. "Wot is it yo is doin' innit." This is especially true for other ethnicities and nationalities.
8. Plot is unimportant. The modern world is all about how you feel. Make sure the reader knows how you feel. Feel free to insert your opinions into characters' mouths.
9. Don't say, "Bob was angry," say, "Bob was angrily furiously apoplectically incandescently enraged." Let the reader know.
10. One draft should always do it. When finished send it immediately to an agent. But copyright it first in case they steal your idea. Always send photocopies on onion skin. Keep it cheap and send it fast. Keep it HOT HOT HOT!!!!!

^ Wins the internet. :D

He's writing about Maine. :D

Actually I believe that may have some truth to it. I heard somewhere along the line that King sought out a town to move to that had a good reputation for being haunted, presumably because it would be a good environment for his work.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

And this is how a lot of new writers interpret "show, don't tell."

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I've always taken it to be about emotion and perspective rather than facts and information.

Even when writing from a different perspective, you have to find a part of it in yourself to write it effectively.

It's what comes from you that makes your writing powerful.

Think of "know" as being about heart rather than mind.

That makes so much sense. I don't always write about experiences I've had, but I definitely add something of myself or others I know to each character. There is always something personal in each one.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
How I usually interpret it is, instead of he was enraged. "He balled up his hand into a giant fist, shook it all about. And then tossed at stone at the pillar." So yes I have some trouble.:p

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score

ALSO.

-Keep count by page numbers, not words.
-...because you are allowed to use adverbs, but only on prime-numbered pages.
-If you have a child or young adult character, remember real children and young adults won't be able to relate to them if you don't use their slang, which you needn't bother looking up because it can't be that different from the slang you used when you were that age. Why wouldn't a modern teenager describe something as "totally radical" or "wicked sweet?"
-Exclamation points are the ideal punctuation, but don't forget about interrobangs!
-If your character has some kind of specialized knowledge, you need to include all of it, even the parts that have nothing to do with the story. If they're a dressmaker, you need to list the patterns they're using. If they're a demolitions expert, you need to describe the chemical reactions in detail, down to the specific molecules involved. You don't want agents to think you're writing what you don't know, do you?
-If you use a said bookism, make sure it begins with the letter J.
-To better suspend disbelief, make all your characters wear suspenders.

Relayer

Registered
Reaction score

Funny

How I usually interpret it is, instead of he was enraged. "He balled up his hand into a giant fist, shook it all about. And then tossed at stone at the pillar." So yes I have some trouble.:p

lol

I go back and check all my lazy writing. Sometimes it means I have to show when I was telling and sometimes I have to tell when I was showing. The trick is to know when to do which.

Worse advice I ever received - read and emulate your favorite author. Now I read nothing when I'm in the middle of a project because I'm afraid of making that mistake again.

Another one I hate is never bore the reader. That's way too subjective - what is boring to one is fascinating to another. I focus on not overtaxing the reader, which can be done by too much showing or telling.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
What's especially challenging is how to show in fewer words though.:/

Relayer

Registered
Reaction score
However, overtaxing your audience can include too few adjectives as well as too many.

Diversity, short and long sentences, verbose and sparse language etc. keeps the audience from getting tired of your prose or poetry.

JimHeskett

Writers gon write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jimheskett.com
Any piece of writing advice is bad if you interpret it to be immutable. Show, don't tell, is good advice in most cases. But bad advice if you say it must always be followed. Same with rules about adverbs, kill your darlings, yadda yadda yadda

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I always like to think of language and writing rules/advice as tools in a toolbox. You use what works when you need it, and you keep the rest away until it's time to use them.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Make your work grammatically perfect.

I am fond of a Churchill story, that he wrote a speech and a very proper secretary typed it up and corrected his grammar, and wrote a note saying that you could not end a sentence with a preposition.

Churchill wrote next to it "This is pedantry, up with which I will not put."

Last edited:

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
It's the art of thinking, infinitely ambiguous, and plagued by its misnomer, as if skill were only the pen at the paper, by human who nay exhibits the enchantment of an endless mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.