• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Curtis Brown, Ltd. (USA)

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Samara, have you checked Ginger's Twitter feed? She usually sends out a tweet about whether or not she has caught up with her queries.

Thanks for the tip (and thanks to Sage too)! I didn't think of Twitter, but that's really helpful. I'll head on over there and have a look. :)

I really need to sign up for Twitter myself too...

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Just found the following on Ginger Clark's Twitter page: I am caught up on emailed queries as of 2/18/11 at 11:59 pm.

Looks like this one was a 'no' then... ;)

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
eQuery Returned Unanswered (merged with Curtis Brown USA thread)

Hi All,

Last week I queried an agent at Curtis Brown and this morning I saw a response. On opening the response, it doesn't have any kind of comment.

It got there and came back with a hit return action and no comment.

What shall I make of that?

:Shrug:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,
Last week I queried an agent at Curtis Brown and this morning I saw a response. On opening the response, it doesn't have any kind of comment.

I would forward the blank email back to them with a little note like, "Hi! I received this blank email from you on {date}--wanted to let you know in case there are technical issues on your end."

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your advise I am resending it now with a note. Fingers crossed.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I think this got merged into the wrong spot. Is there a mod handy to make the move?
I figured the thread needed some fresh air. *shifty eyes* (It was a Monday and a half yesterday, lemme tell ya.)

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Question-- I sent my Full to Sarah Lapolla at the end of January. She said to give her 4-6 weeks. Friday was 6 weeks and I haven't heard back. I know that most agents can take much longer than 6 weeks to read a full so my question is when should I nudge her? Should I give her more time or nudge her per the time period she set?

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Equeried Sarah LaPolla on 9th April. Request for a full received 15th April.

Ms LaPolla was kind enough to acknowledge my manuscript had been received okay and advised on her response times (four to six weeks).

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

:Shrug:
Your submission left them speechless? ;)

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Fingers uncrossed. Rejection today! Sigh, ah well. I did just change my beginning a few days ago. Guess that'll teach me to send out pages when I'm not 100% happy with them!

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Just received a rejection on my full from Sarah LaPolla. This one was hard to take, as she said so many nice things about my work but ultimately didn't offer rep. She asked to see a revision, which I know is a good sign, but I don't think I can make the changes she's requested without an offer of rep behind it.

Basically, aside from a few minor changes (changes to names and ages that could be sorted out in a couple of hours) the one thing she asked me to change is something that another agent praised and really loved about the novel (they didn't offer rep for a different reason). So I know that what Ms LaPolla wants changed just comes down to a matter of personal taste and character preference and not a problem with the novel. And as the change she's requested would have a knock-on effect on the plot of the novel (which she praised) I don't really want to take this forward at this stage and end up rewriting a novel that doesn't need such a major rewrite.

Obviously if I was to get the same criticism from another agent, I'd have a re-think. But when one agent loves an aspect of a novel and another agent says that's the one thing about a novel she didn't like, it's hard to know what to do and all I can do in this case is rely on my instinct which says to leave it alone. I still have six fulls out there, so I'll wait on the feedback from those before making any changes!

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it disheartening when agents praise a writer's work so much but don't offer rep. If an agent likes an author's work that much, surely they'd be willing to work with an author on revisions after offering rep? This has happened to me a few times now, so I'm feeling quite frustrated!

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Just received a rejection on my full from Sarah LaPolla. This one was hard to take, as she said so many nice things about my work but ultimately didn't offer rep. She asked to see a revision, which I know is a good sign, but I don't think I can make the changes she's requested without an offer of rep behind it.

Basically, aside from a few minor changes (changes to names and ages that could be sorted out in a couple of hours) the one thing she asked me to change is something that another agent praised and really loved about the novel (they didn't offer rep for a different reason). So I know that what Ms LaPolla wants changed just comes down to a matter of personal taste and character preference and not a problem with the novel. And as the change she's requested would have a knock-on effect on the plot of the novel (which she praised) I don't really want to take this forward at this stage and end up rewriting a novel that doesn't need such a major rewrite.

Obviously if I was to get the same criticism from another agent, I'd have a re-think. But when one agent loves an aspect of a novel and another agent says that's the one thing about a novel she didn't like, it's hard to know what to do and all I can do in this case is rely on my instinct which says to leave it alone. I still have six fulls out there, so I'll wait on the feedback from those before making any changes!

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it disheartening when agents praise a writer's work so much but don't offer rep. If an agent likes an author's work that much, surely they'd be willing to work with an author on revisions after offering rep? This has happened to me a few times now, so I'm feeling quite frustrated!

I went through this with an MS. The agent gave me crit and some line-by-lines and asked for a revision. I spent several months working on them, brought it back to her. Ultimately she said she really loved what I'd done with it but there was one major plot element she wasn't feeling and she did say it was entirely her personal taste and thought I had a strong MS.

Anyway, point being, keep your chin up. ;) Six other fulls out there is a great thing. You'll find an agent who gets your work the way you want them to. Good luck!

AntheaL

Mostly Cheerful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anthealawson.com

Aw, bummer, Samara! Trust your gut on this one. And I SO hear you about the frustration point. One R I got on a full started "This is a tough decision, but..." Dang, if it's so tough, how about you just say 'yes'? :)

Keep on keeping on. Obviously you're doing something right, to have so many fulls out~

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
Samara - I totally know how you feel! I have gotten so many personalized rejections on fulls and almost every single one has said something completely different that they didn't like or want revised - and every single one said I was an "extremely talented writer" or that my work had "beautiful turns of phrase" etc. One didn't like the dialogue. Another didn't like the plot. Another said the plot was fabulous but the main character was lacking. Another said the main character was amazing but the supporting character needed work. Another said the supporting character is amazing but the main character needs work. At a certain point you are like, WTF???

I would totally revise if I felt I had one thing that everyone agreed on...It could drive you mad. You feel like - well - if it's that close and the writing is that good then offer me rep. and we'll work on it - anyway whatever editor it ends up with is going to have totally different opinions, right?

Hang in there. I also have about 8 fulls out right now and keep hoping that one will offer rep. - one is all you need, right?

Chin up! And keep us posted on your progress. We've all been there...

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
Samara, I've done almost too many revise-and-re-submits to count. None of them ended in offers of rep. One of the revisions I really really didn't want to do, but I so loved the agent--30+ years in the biz, numerous big-time authors --I went ahead and did it. For that one, I ended up getting . . . (the memory's still oh-so-fresh and painful) . . . a two-line form rejection on the revision. The agent had just changed agencies and wasn't taking on any new authors at that time.

None of the revision requests were the same. They all wanted something different. So I think you're doing the right thing here.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score

Aw, Samara, I'm so sorry. It sucks to know that you were so close, but it's great that you have so many other fulls out there. I hope someone will adore it as is! And if you do decide to make those revisions, it sounds like Sarah is very interested!

Goldfish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.felizadavid.com
If an agent likes an author's work that much, surely they'd be willing to work with an author on revisions after offering rep? This has happened to me a few times now, so I'm feeling quite frustrated!

I can't blame you for being frustrated. Heck, I'm frustrated just sitting here, reading about your situation. The fact that other agents have said great things about your novel is both encouraging and supremely frustrating.

For the record, I think you're great for following your instincts. If you don't 100% love the revision ideas, then perhaps your vision of the book doesn't align closely enough with the agent's. (Not that I presume to speak for Sarah.) Your relationship with your literary agent is going to be one of the most important business partnerships you'll have as a writer, so it pays to be certain you guys really get each other.

Oh, and, for what it's worth...

Again, not speaking for Sarah, but she did tweet earlier that she doesn't ask for revisions often. The exact tweet: "I request revisions, but only if the potential is significant. It's hard to reject if I sense the writer is able to realize it."

So, you know... I mean, yeah, that's not an offer. It's not even a quarter 'til an offer. But I hope it makes things sting a little less.

Last edited:

Big Bear

Registered
Reaction score
Samara
I received that same reply for Ms. Lapolla back in September. She was on the fence about my novel. She loved the suspense, the characters, the plot but in the end she felt it needed a major rewrite into something I never intended it to be. (This was after a short revise she suggested to help the pace of the book)
I thought for weeks about the rewrite and disappointment. In the end I decided to listen to my gut and have not done the rewrite because even after doing months of work (which I'm not afraid to do) she still may not have offered to rep me. To this day I am grateful for her input and feed back but it is an awful feeling getting so far and then being turned down. It's even harder watching other writers getting representation while still reworking their book with the agent
You are not alone.
I know what I've written is good and it's the story I wanted to tell. Someday an agent will feel the same why.

Big Bear

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone who replied to my last post. Your words of encouragement have helped me so much, as this latest rejection really bothered me. I think the worst thing about it is that the feedback I received has made me doubt my own work. I was feeling really confident about the novel before and believed it was ready to go, but now, not so much! :cry:

It's not that I can't see what this agent is saying - I can and I'm very open to feedback and to making changes. But in this case, the changes involved would alter the novel a lot, so I'd have to be sure I'm doing the right thing before going ahead with them. If I get the same feedback from other agents, then I'll get to work on those changes, but I can't risk ruining what's good about the novel at this stage.

Every time I have doubts, I'm trying to remind myself that this is just one person's opinion and other agents will (and already have) have different likes and dislikes about the manuscript. And I can't keep them all happy - that would be a lot of rewrites! ;)

But having said all this, I would recommend Sarah LaPolla to anyone thinking of querying her. She clearly took her time reading my work and provided me with detailed feedback, which she didn't have to do. And when I emailed her back to explain some of my choices for the novel, she replied again with further thoughts on the work and more fully explained some of the points she'd already made, which was really helpful. For anyone lucky enough to have her as an agent, I'm sure she's wonderful to work with!

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Samara - I totally know how you feel! I have gotten so many personalized rejections on fulls and almost every single one has said something completely different that they didn't like or want revised - and every single one said I was an "extremely talented writer" or that my work had "beautiful turns of phrase" etc. One didn't like the dialogue. Another didn't like the plot. Another said the plot was fabulous but the main character was lacking. Another said the main character was amazing but the supporting character needed work. Another said the supporting character is amazing but the main character needs work. At a certain point you are like, WTF???

:roll:

I'm sorry. It's not funny at all, but this really made me laugh! I can definitely relate to this. I've had the same problem with my last two manuscripts. I was hoping this one would be different, but it seems there's no pleasing some people...