Dr. Sophia Yin dead at 48

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I never met her, though I've frequently visited her web site and watched her training videos. She's been very influential in changing the way many people handle and train companion animals. Her legacy will live on, but it's so sad that she's gone. The death appears to have been a suicide, and it's a sad reminder of how devastating and invisible depression can be.

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/Animal-Behaviorist-Sophia-Yin-Dies-at-48/

DVMWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I had the privilege of hearing Dr. Yin speak at a few veterinary conferences. She was as engaging, approachable, and funny as you might imagine from her many YouTube videos. Dr. Yin was truly a pioneer in the field of low stress handling for animals and in bringing about much needed change for how all of us (from veterinarians, to trainers, to groomers, to pet owners) should interact with, understand, and guide the behavior of our companion animals.
Her death is a devastating loss to the world. Sadly, studies have shown that the suicide rate in the veterinary profession is 4 times greater than most other professions and twice that of MDs. I lost a friend and vet school colleague to suicide only 4 months ago, so the sting of Dr. Yin's loss is especially keen for me even though I did not know her personally. I don't know if there were other mitigating factors in her decision or whether we will ever learn what her reasons were for taking her own life. I can only hope that she is now at peace and that, perhaps, part of her legacy might be that others who are similarly suffering might realize that they are not alone in their despair and will reach out before it is too late.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
Such a profound loss. I was always able to refer to her for information, for backup in an Internet argument, for something intelligent and in-depth on nearly any animal (dog) topic I could think of.

I never had the privilege of hearing her speak, and I wish I had. I got into the game too late, I guess.

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sophia Yin was such a great influence, developing and promoting positive approaches to dog training and donating her time and expertise without credit to many organizations and individuals including myself. She will be missed.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
RIP, Dr. Sophia Yin. I am at a loss for words beyond hoping she is at peace. She will be very much missed.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Depression plagues so many people, myself included. I am always horribly sad to hear that we've lost another bright and wonderful mind. I hope she is at peace now.