Lonely Senior Cat

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 16-year-old cat (very healthy), whom I've just taken from our family home to my apartment. It's been about a month and a half and I fear that she's getting bored and lonely. She lived in that house her entire life, and going back is not an option.

She was used to someone nearly always being home and I'm gone more often. She had more options of rooms to explore and had a porch to go outside. Now there's only one real window that she can look out and I don't know if she leaves my bedroom much during the day. She's never been interested, even as a kitten, in playing, although every few weeks or so she might have run up and down the stairs at the house for a few minutes.

Overall she seems to be doing well but she's getting more and more aggressive about wanting attention in the middle of the night and early morning. She'll bite my nose and has even bitten and pulled on my hair, which she has never done before.

Any thoughts? She is with another cat (21!) who seems better with the change although they never did keep each other company. I'm sure she's lonely but not sure what to do about it. Ideally I will be moving to a larger place within the next six months that might have a better setup for her but even then it may not be a full solution.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Can you give her access to a window with a view of a bird feeder? One bag of birdseed keeps our Balinese occupied for days.

I've heard of DVDs you can buy to entertain your cat with birds and squirrels and other prey animals. That depends on the cat. I used to have a cat that would chase animals on the screen all the time, but the ones I have now don't seem to acknowledge the screen's existance.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm in a city so a birdfeeder is not an option. She never did pay attention to TV or other screens but I can experiment with my computer before going for DVDs; thanks for the suggestion.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
She might well be stressed by her change in circumstances.

It might be worth trying a Feliway diffuser if you haven't already; they do make a big difference to our cats. If she's still fit and well try making places where she can get up high, to watch things happening: this helps calm their stress levels too.

You could give her something to occupy her time with while you're out: I have a couple of tennis balls with smallish holes cut in them, which I fill with my cats' ration of dry food and then leave out for them to feed from. It keeps them busy, gives them exercise, and feeds them all at once. It's really good and my cats do like it. You can leave a few balls containing a bit of food dotted around the house, rather than one stuffed full.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Another possibility is the lack of human noise is worrying her, as it would have been a background sound to everything. You could try leaving a radio on quietly when you're out, so there are voices during the day.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 16-year-old cat (very healthy), whom I've just taken from our family home to my apartment. It's been about a month and a half and I fear that she's getting bored and lonely. She lived in that house her entire life, and going back is not an option.

She was used to someone nearly always being home and I'm gone more often. She had more options of rooms to explore and had a porch to go outside. Now there's only one real window that she can look out and I don't know if she leaves my bedroom much during the day. She's never been interested, even as a kitten, in playing, although every few weeks or so she might have run up and down the stairs at the house for a few minutes.

Overall she seems to be doing well but she's getting more and more aggressive about wanting attention in the middle of the night and early morning. She'll bite my nose and has even bitten and pulled on my hair, which she has never done before.

Any thoughts? She is with another cat (21!) who seems better with the change although they never did keep each other company. I'm sure she's lonely but not sure what to do about it. Ideally I will be moving to a larger place within the next six months that might have a better setup for her but even then it may not be a full solution.

I wouldn't give up on the idea of playing. I've thought the same - just not interested in toys/playing with stuff. It can take a long time to get over the stress of a move, a new house, new situation, and even if that's not the issue, as you mention her younger years, some cats just only like some specific toys. I've tried balls of every imaginable type, stuff that moves on its own, very popular stuff, puzzle boxes, etc., etc., until hitting on something.

In addition, what does she like? Does she like to knead? Does she like a good brushing session? Lap time? Does she follow you around when you're home? Does she talk to you?

I'd try to figure out what she perceives as attention and positive interaction and engage her for periods, where she's got all your attention, for the thing she likes, even for five minutes at a time.

Also seconding the Feliway diffuser - much cheaper on Amazon btw.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
If she's bothering you at night then she's either not getting enough one-on-one time with you, or needs to get her energy out. I'd experiment with playtime and see if there is anything she likes. Try a cat fishing pole with feathers on the end if you haven't already.
I'd also just give it more time. Took my babies at least a couple three months to adjust from a big apartment to a couple rooms in my folks house.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just had another thought about this - does she have places to climb? If she had more rooms and furniture, she had more spots.

You might put some of those free-floating shelves up, in a way she can hop to them from someplace she goes, a couch or chair, and travel along them (Ikea has sturdy ones for cheap - can cover the tops with cut-up sticky carpet squares or something too so she can't slide off as she jumps). Even a ladder with decently-wide rungs just set up maybe by the window, so she can climb and have new vantage points could help.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Maybe some toys would help? Or talking to an assistant at a pet store?

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Someone I knew took on two budgies in a large cage attached to the wall - out of cat reach. But that is quite a loud option.
Fishtank?

But first I'd second all the good suggestions above - simpler in the long run.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
You can try a plug in thing that gives off a nice aroma , for cats . Most pet shops have them . Keep the place warm , feed her on food she likes, five times a days, and she will settle in to her new home.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
We took on a rescue cat who initially appreciated her own clearly defined bed. I know cats tend to pick out their own beds, but when she first came she was very fond of an apple box with a blanket in it - her spot, smelling of her. After about a month she abandoned it.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Many of the cats I know go nuts for the laser pointing toys, even cats that are otherwise indifferent to toys. Jackson Galaxy also has these which can help a cat in a stressful transition, such as to a new home.

henmatth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
You can ask a Vet who specializes in cats.
They're the best persons to help you know
what are great for pets.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I had a kitty who lived to the age of 24, my baby. She was pretty independent but when she wanted something, she let us know. We gave her a lot of attention as tolerated during the day, to tucker her out a bit. She slept downstairs as she'd wake us in the middle of the night if we let her, but we had a lot of toys downstairs for her, and cozy places to curl up.

She was an indoor kitty. She liked things like empty cardboard boxes, sides low enough to jump in, and paper bags open and on their side. Balls made of rolled-up aluminum foil to bat around. Radio on when we were gone. . .

Doing much the same for our cat now, he's almost 12.

Your kitty is lucky to have you. :Hug2:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Cranberries. Seriously, my cat thinks they're the greatest things ever to chase.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
If your cat liked being outside, maybe take her for a sweet walk outside? We've been through three moves, a house (which my cat went outside in the yard and loved) to an apartment (which my cat was depressed, but held through it) then when we moved into a house again, we go in the yard together about once or twice a day (I supervise him of course) but he loves it. He's got his confidence back and acts like a little kitty again. (he's 9 right now) We also have a dog too but my cat doesn't really care for the dog. BUT since we go outside, again my cat is now fearless. It may be about your cat's confidence levels. Maybe she feels trapped.

Even if you can take your cat to a patch of grass for a while, maybe with a leash if you don't have a place that's enclosed, this might help.