Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30754443

The annual New Years Day check for how many species of UK plants are in bloom has logged in a record 368 species this year.

Normally there are between 20 and 30 species flowering at this time of year.

“This is extraordinary,” said Tim Rich, who started the New Year’s plant hunt for the Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland.

“Fifty years ago people looking for plants in flower at the start of the year found 20 species. This year the total has amazed us – we are stunned.

“During the holiday I drove along the A34 south of Newbury and saw half a mile of gorse in flower when gorse is supposed to flower in April and May. It’s bizarre.”

“We are now in our fourth mild winter. Normally flowers get frosted off by Christmas but this year it hasn’t happened.”

He said 368 species in flower is an unprecedented 15% of the flowering plants in Britain and Ireland – an “amazing” total. The high count was partly due to the growth in the number of volunteers - but mostly due to climate change, he said.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've also noticed this the last few years. My neighbour had roses in bloom in October and my wild geranium kept flowering until very late in the year. The weather has been odd for a while.