Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I came up with an exercise that's really helping me to keep all my characters and conflicts straight. I thought I'd share. It's called "Knows/Wants." This works for an MS where everyone seems to be on different wavelengths, and it leads to misunderstandings, crossed wires, etc;

So basically what I did was to list all of my most important characters. Then, below each, I listed first what they Know, and then what they Want. It really showed how the characters' wants were in conflict, sometimes with other wants they have, and sometimes with the wants of other characters. And their knowledge is very uneven, as well.

Just a tip to keep a story straight when things get a bit fuzzy around the midpoint!

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
So, I guess I've technically aged into this forum now. I used to occasionally creep into the College People Writing for Teens forum, but now I'm nearing my graduate school graduation, so I figure I'll start meeting some new people on here :) Hi everyone!

Hi!

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
What are some good novels spreadsheet software? The first one I thought of was pretty snowflake, I mean the snowflake software.^^ (I just love that name.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think writing from the perspective of a girl perceived to be a slut is the same as any other character, really. How does it make her feel? How does she deal with it? It's a pretty commonly tossed-around term.

That said, here's a link to a TV tropes page that might be of some help. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlutShaming

There are a lot of MCs in recent YA that are perceived to be sluts. Maybe getting some book recs would be helpful? Not sure. Some people don't like to read about the same kind of MCs while writing for fear of being influenced?

Good luck!
A recent movie that deals with this is Easy A

I'm doing a collaborative on-the-side project that's firmly in the YA category, and I was super excited that I could finally post in the writing for teens thread!

And then I realized I belonged in the Old People version of the thread. Much sadness was experienced. :( :ROFL:

Hi, everyone :D

So, I guess I've technically aged into this forum now. I used to occasionally creep into the College People Writing for Teens forum, but now I'm nearing my graduate school graduation, so I figure I'll start meeting some new people on here :) Hi everyone!
:welcome: dorky & cmtruesd
Hey guys, I came up with an exercise that's really helping me to keep all my characters and conflicts straight. I thought I'd share. It's called "Knows/Wants." This works for an MS where everyone seems to be on different wavelengths, and it leads to misunderstandings, crossed wires, etc;

So basically what I did was to list all of my most important characters. Then, below each, I listed first what they Know, and then what they Want. It really showed how the characters' wants were in conflict, sometimes with other wants they have, and sometimes with the wants of other characters. And their knowledge is very uneven, as well.

Just a tip to keep a story straight when things get a bit fuzzy around the midpoint!
That sound like a good exercise!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So an editor at Entangled (not to be confused (as I so often am) with Parump's Entranced) is looking for someone to write a 60K paranormal YA on spec with a snarky female MC, and asked for a writing sample with similar voice to help her decide.

And really I'm just like, the hardest part of that would be choosing which snarky teen female to send her ;) I'm between Tia and Evie right now. Tia is tougher, but Evie has more developed emotions, even in the first chapter. Although she is sad in the first chapter too, so that could detract from the snark.

She says the spec novel would be Buffy-esque, and I'm like, "Ooh, me, me, pick me!"

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
So an editor at Entangled (not to be confused (as I so often am) with Parump's Entranced) ...

Lol!

I know. I didn't pick the publishing name. I was confused at first too!

And I wish you lots of luck with your sub! ;)

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
So an editor at Entangled (not to be confused (as I so often am) with Parump's Entranced) is looking for someone to write a 60K paranormal YA on spec with a snarky female MC, and asked for a writing sample with similar voice to help her decide.

And really I'm just like, the hardest part of that would be choosing which snarky teen female to send her ;) I'm between Tia and Evie right now. Tia is tougher, but Evie has more developed emotions, even in the first chapter. Although she is sad in the first chapter too, so that could detract from the snark.

She says the spec novel would be Buffy-esque, and I'm like, "Ooh, me, me, pick me!"
Good luck! Sounds so interesting.
And paranormal--wow, is that a return of the hot genre?

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Wow that's a great idea! I bet it helps a lot before scenes to keep what each character wants in the forefront. I'll have to try it out :)

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a treadmill desk. Does anyone have experience with them? I figure I spend at least 2-4 hours sitting at my desk in my home office every day, so this would be a great way to fit in that exercise I don't otherwise get. *bites nails*

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! Sounds so interesting.
And paranormal--wow, is that a return of the hot genre?
I wouldn't take this as an indication of what's hot. Paranormal romance (I assume, although she doesn't say the romance part anywhere) will always sell to those who love the genre. I think when an editor sees a paranormal romance she wants, she acquires it, but it's hard to stand out in the genre thanks to the glut of them, so you have to really get the right book to the right editor. And if you're unagented, you have to get it to the right agent who knows the right editor that wants it and is convinced she can actually sell it.

In this case, the editor knows exactly what she wants to see and she's not seeing it, so she's going to hire someone to write that book for her, in theory, guaranteeing that she loves the final product.

Dorky

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a treadmill desk. Does anyone have experience with them? I figure I spend at least 2-4 hours sitting at my desk in my home office every day, so this would be a great way to fit in that exercise I don't otherwise get. *bites nails*

No experience with them myself.
I probably need one though, considering I sit all day for work, and then come home and sit some more. I'm pretty lazy :D

I worry that it’ll throw off my aim or something when I'm playing games though... :(

eta: or a bicycle desk, that would work too! And no gaming problems ;)

Last edited:

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I use a treadmill pretty regularly and wonder how someone could work while on one.

I sit a lot too, but try to get up every hour or so to move my body.

Welcome, new old people.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
HA. I find it hard trying to keep the number of subplots down! LOL I actually had to take a major one out of the novel I'm querying (though I loved it so much) because of word count. :/

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
HA. I find it hard trying to keep the number of subplots down! LOL I actually had to take a major one out of the novel I'm querying (though I loved it so much) because of word count. :/

Could you take that subplot and turn it into its own novel?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Could you take that subplot and turn it into its own novel?

Not really (I mean, I could put some of it in the sequel if there is one--I have left it open for a POSSIBLE sequel even though the book stands completely alone) but it was another twist in the thriller/who done it element of the story. But I was able to make it work without it and it cut several thousand words out.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My subplots usually develop organically, but if I need to add one after I finish, for length or character enhancement, I totally suck at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.