American Horror Story

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I don't know why, but referring to the Black Dahlia as some "starlet from the 40s" made me chuckle a little inside. Poor Elizabeth Short. She's famous, dammit!

LOL - whoops. This is the first I'm hearing of The Black Dahlia. Silly me! Just read up on her. Neat. (Well, sick. You know what I mean.) AHS already has a mention on the Wiki page.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched.... First of all, I would like to know the brand of towel Ben was wearing during his fight with Rubber Tate. I struggle to keep mine on while I'm blow drying my hair, and his stayed during that entire wrestling match!

Also, have we heard why the maid has aged? She made that comment to Ben last week about how he's finally starting to see things as they really are, but she was Young Maid when she was killed. Why is "the way things really are" her as an older woman? And why doesn't Young Maid have a bullet hole in her eye? Tate still has his bullet holes, doesn't he?

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched.... First of all, I would like to know the brand of towel Ben was wearing during his fight with Rubber Tate. I struggle to keep mine on while I'm blow drying my hair, and his stayed during that entire wrestling match!

To be honest, I didn't notice the towel so much as that he was apparently showering while the exterminator was there. Did he get tired of waiting for the estimate and decide to go on with his routine instead of trying to find out what happened to the dude?

Also, have we heard why the maid has aged? She made that comment to Ben last week about how he's finally starting to see things as they really are, but she was Young Maid when she was killed. Why is "the way things really are" her as an older woman? And why doesn't Young Maid have a bullet hole in her eye? Tate still has his bullet holes, doesn't he?

I've been wondering that, too. It seems like it varies a bit whether or not the ghosts have visible signs of their cause of death, though. Hayden is looking better than she did initially, I thought.

Does Tate have his bullet holes? I didn't notice.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score

Re: Ben and Tate fight scene -- LMFAO. That's exactly what I was thinking. That towel stayed firmly wrapped around his body while Tate tossed him around. :roll:
Yeaaah. This is Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, they're not really known for consistency of minor details. i.e. Glee.

That's a good question about young Moira, one I've been wondering about but just went with the realm of the show. Didn't Constance discard of Moira's body? Maybe Moira's soul is an old "wiser" woman but she'll forever be this temptress of loosey-goosey to the carnal eyes and mind.

Was Tate shot in the head or in the chest? I remember the red target being aimed at his head, I think. But these ghosts can change clothes, so it's no telling about whether they have their death wounds. I haven't seen -- or noticed -- any bullet holes on Tate. Maybe it's a crossover thing; since they're stuck between two worlds unable to move on to the other side.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com

Moira previously said to Vivien that men see what they want (thus Ben sees young/seductive Moira, sans bullet) and women see the soul (thus Vivien sees the older/wiser Moira, who has been a ghost for about 35 years and whose physical appearance shows that, as well as her empty/blind eye from where the bullet entered). I think Moira is a special case because she's profoundly aware of her circumstances, down to how she died, unlike the other ghosts, who don't seem to recall how they died (unless, like Violet, they are told).

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Moira previously said to Vivien that men see what they want (thus Ben sees young/seductive Moira, sans bullet) and women see the soul (thus Vivien sees the older/wiser Moira, who has been a ghost for about 35 years and whose physical appearance shows that, as well as her empty/blind eye from where the bullet entered). I think Moira is a special case because she's profoundly aware of her circumstances, down to how she died, unlike the other ghosts, who don't seem to recall how they died (unless, like Violet, they are told).

I remember her saying that about men seeing what they want, but I didn't know how that tied in to the ghost aging. And I did notice that the older version had the blind eye, but not the young version. Hayden definitely still has the bruises from her fight with Ben, and Nora, the original wife/mother, still has the bullet wound in the back of her head, which is another reason I thought Young Maid would have a bullet hole in her eye, too, not just the older version.

You could be right about her awareness being the reason she's aged when no one else has. That does seem to be the biggest difference between her and the others. I just didn't know if they'd addressed it. Hayden seems to be very aware of what happened to her, too, so I would think that if that is the reason, we'll see her possibly change in some way?? Have we seen her in the basement with the rest of the ghosts? Where does she go when she's not cleaning the house??

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I was not already convinced, this last episode has cemented my decision to never have children. Also, that doctor is not a very good one, but I did have a chill factor moment when the nurses and the doctor appeared to help with the labor.

I felt like I was looking for a final bang moment at the end of the episode that I did not get. Maybe that moment will come next episode.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
A solid penultimate episode. Looks like they're angling to have Ben be committed to the same facility that recently housed Vivien.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
This series has continued to blow my mind. Still can't get the image of Violet's body out of my head. I think because I didn't see it coming. Also, last night's episode has me wondering how on earth the next season is going to carry on. Maybe with a new family in the house? The end with Violet and her mother made me tear up, though.

And Tate...how is it that I simultaneously love and detest him?

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Maybe with a new family in the house?

IIRC, Ryan Murphy envisioned a new family in the house every season. Although, given that we now have more than an inkling of how things work there (basically, you move in, you die), I'm not sure how suspenseful a second season would be. But hey, what do I know?

I think he and Violet have had phenomenal character arcs. Agreed: he's a monster, but thanks to Violet he's found his soul. That doesn't excuse anything he did -- he's no Angel from the Whedonverse, where all is forgiven because "It wasn't me, it was Angelus!" Here, Tate is responsible for his actions, no matter how much he's changed since he's performed them.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score

I'm battling the same dilemma. Not many shows do this well -- only a select handful in my list -- but they've humanized a monster somehow. Through/by love? He's literally mad for Violet and has a connection to some women he's encountered.

I cannot wait for the finale. Love the show. Tate will definitely have to be back next season (there better be one). It'll be interesting to see the ghosts interact in that snarky manner with the Harmons ghost family.

Last episode was so good, I watched the encores back to back to back and still couldn't believe the hour was over when the epi ended. I wanted more.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
This is nominated for a Golden Globe, as is Jessica Lange! I've seen all the other actresses in her category, and she blows them out of the water with her portrayal of Constance. She totally needs to win.

Now I can't wait for the finale, because how will it all end? Ben is crazy? Was he crazy the whole time and this was all in his head? It seems like they hinted at that this week.

dragonjax said:
IIRC, Ryan Murphy envisioned a new family in the house every season. Although, given that we now have more than an inkling of how things work there (basically, you move in, you die), I'm not sure how suspenseful a second season would be. But hey, what do I know?

Agreed. They'll have to seriously switch things up a bit if they go the route of another family in the house. Maybe they could have a season focused on trying to sell the house instead, with new shenanigans every week. That way, they could spend time better fleshing out the million and one ghosts they already have!

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Or having a family move in only to be spooked and leave -- without dying. There are enough ghosts in that house with a story to tell and/or be explored more.

Let the speculation begin :D

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
I think he and Violet have had phenomenal character arcs. Agreed: he's a monster, but thanks to Violet he's found his soul. That doesn't excuse anything he did -- he's no Angel from the Whedonverse, where all is forgiven because "It wasn't me, it was Angelus!" Here, Tate is responsible for his actions, no matter how much he's changed since he's performed them.
Agreed with everything you said here. With Angel/Angelus, it was one without a soul, one with one. You could separate them. And the fact that Tate is just the one twisted guy makes his character and the way it was written all the better.
And yeah, maybe if they keep Ben alive, he'll rent out rooms in the house or something? That way the first family will be there and they can bring people in and out while having some consistency.

I'm battling the same dilemma. Not many shows do this well -- only a select handful in my list -- but they've humanized a monster somehow. Through/by love? He's literally mad for Violet and has a connection to some women he's encountered.

I cannot wait for the finale. Love the show. Tate will definitely have to be back next season (there better be one). It'll be interesting to see the ghosts interact in that snarky manner with the Harmons ghost family.
He better be back next season! It's definitely his love for Violet that has me loving him. The scene where he's with her in the bath tub. And then when he shows her the body. Oh and when she tells him to go away. Love!

This is nominated for a Golden Globe, as is Jessica Lange! I've seen all the other actresses in her category, and she blows them out of the water with her portrayal of Constance. She totally needs to win.
She's another character I love. Totally wicked.

A team of amateur ghostbusters comes with videocameras and EMF readers...
LOL. That'd be great. We could get the Winchesters in.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Big finale. Can't wait. I gotta admit, I'm gonna miss not seeing this every Wednesday night.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
This episode felt and looked like it could've been the season premier for the next. I really enjoyed it. But I don't know where they're gonna go from here 3 years in the future. I'm happy Lange was nominated. Evan Peters is due a nomination for something.