• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Desert Rose Literary Agency (Leann Murphy)

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
How fitting. :D

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
There's more. Desert Rose and the IILAA seem to share the same internet server down there in San Angelo, Texas.

Desert Rose is the only one among the nine "Top Ten Literary Agents" that boasts of being a member of the IILAA or links to the IILAA's page.

There's more on Desert Rose's site:

Beware of websites that insult, slander, or defame agents/agencies. Such websites are affiliated with agent association(s) and have a definite
agenda. After all, can one expect that such websites truly care for
any given person enough to spend their entire time, energy, and money in the pursuit of "protecting" you? These hosts, through the website(s) sponsored by such association(s) almost always do this to destroy independent agents/agencies. One indication of this is the fact that one such group has come up with what they call the "20 worst literary agents", a list that is included on many of this groups' websites. Of note is the fact that every single agent on the list is an independent agent, some of whom have been successful agents for 20-30+ years. There is not a single agent listed who is a member of the association associated with these individuals and their websites. Please be wary of these "hate" sites.

Wow. Who'd have thought? Not one single person on the Twenty Worst Literary Agents List is a member of the AAR (Association of Authors' Representatives) or the AAA (Association of Authors' Agents). That's probably because the AAR has a Canon of Ethics and the AAA has a Code of Practice. None of the agents on the list qualifies for membership in either organization to start with.

I do wish Leann would tell us who on the Twenty Worst list has been successful for 20-30+ years. Or what she means by "successful," for that matter. Selling books to publishers doesn't seem to be the benchmark.

At least this page on the Desert Rose site tells us who the watchdogs are supposed to be controlled by. We're all secretly in the pay of the AAR, trying to put Independent Agents (that is, agents who aren't members of AAR) out of business. Why the AAR would be interested in doing so is a mystery to me -- the "Independent Agents" on the Twenty Worst List (or who are listed on the IILAA site) aren't in competition with the real agents (members of AAR or otherwise), since they aren't selling books to anyone. No one is saying, "Drat! I almost had a deal with Random House, but Desert Rose snatched that publishing slot out from under my nose. Ha! I know what to do! I will send forth my minions to tell the world that Leann Murphy is a scammer!"

First reason that wouldn't happen -- that isn't the way publishing works. Second reason it wouldn't happen -- Leann Murphy has yet to sell a book. In order to be the competition she has to compete, doesn't she?

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
Leann Murphy has yet to sell a book. In order to be the competition she has to compete, doesn't she?

From everything I've seen, she doesn't even know how to compete.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
From Ann and Victoria's blog:
So...if you are reading this, and you are a victim of Leann Murphy's, or know someone who was scammed by Desert Rose, please contact:

Tom Green County Sheriff's Office
222 West Harris
San Angelo, TX 76901
Attn: Sgt. John Walker

His email is: [email protected]

This is an active investigation. If you want to know more, contact victoriastrauss, AC Crispin, or Good Word.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Talked to Sgt. Johnny Walker The Other Day...

...and he confirmed that the investigation of Leann Murphy is ongoing. Anyone who has been scammed by Desert Rose, they want to hear from you!

Leann, I know you're reading this. Ever considered getting out before the hammer falls? With your police record, you would probably be in worse trouble than even Janet and George.

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
Call my experiences with literary agents, "Learned the hard way" and do listen to these guys here telling you the negatives. They've done a lot more research on the subject and a lot of them are published authors with reputable publishers. I had a different agent, got the same fee fee fee spiel from her, (didn't know anything about agents, that good ones do NOT charge fees) My agent at the time was telling me she was sending the ms to different publishers etc, and that she would keep me posted on which ones she had sent them to. So... about every three months I guess, I would get a packet from her with "copies" of those. They were genuine copies, printed out by I'm sure her copy machine. On closer inspection, they looked as if the title of my book had been added to a pre-existing rejection form. The title seemed to be a little "OFF" with the rest of the type (if you know what I mean) A little over a year into our contract, and she sent my ms to Publish America, where it was immediately accepted and I was mailed a contract. "Happy" me was enthusiastic about it, signed the PA contract, got the deal working all the way up to the point of having the book in final stages for print, when I get this big envelope from PA with all this info about how "I" would have to market the book. Was too late at that point to change my mind on the contract and to this date, my book has had few sales other than those, of course, that I purchased. Soon afterwards, my "agent" disappeared off the face of the earth apparently, because not even the publisher knew where she was. I have had no contact with her since, and my book was published in 2002.
My experience with bad agents and pubs only gave me incentive to look for other people who have had the same or close to the same experiences. The people on this site know what they are talking about. As I have learned... it pays to get informed before you ever start submitting to agents.

Last edited:

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Hi tlblack, and welcome to AW.

Do you mind sharing the name of the pseudoagent?

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Leann, I know you're reading this. Ever considered getting out before the hammer falls?

Maybe she decided to take A.C.'s advice, although it's probably more likely she took down the website "on advice of counsel." :D

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
When I ping the site I get a "not found" message back. But there is no response when I ping the DNS server. Curious.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
At this rate, the publishing industry might become one of the cleanest and most respected in the business world.

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it's working for me too.

::sulks::

froggwater

disturbing things...

I have been hearing some disturbing things about my kind-of-agent, Leann Murphy of Desert Rose Agency. I did google her before submitting, but she was able to explain away most of the things I heard to my satisfaction. Skip ahead 3 months...I haven't heard anything from her after submitting and can't reach her via email or phone...anyone know anything?

froggwater

She actually clued me in on the 20 worst list, but she told me it was because big publishing houses were trying to corner the independent guys out of the market...and as I sit here typing this I'm having a great big DUH moment...sheesh, talk about your rose colored glasses!

emeraldlatina

Registered
Reaction score
Desert Rose Literary Agency- Is it Linked With Barbara Bauer?

I went onto desertroseagency.com website and they said people should be aware of websites that have literary agents on their top worst list etc. and that they are just slandering agents etc, and there was a link- AWOL. I clicked on it and it`redirected to Barbara Bauer. Is she connected to the Desert Rose Agency?

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
From that website: "What should writers TRULY be aware of?

Beware of websites that insult, slander, or defame agents/agencies. Such websites are affiliated with agent association(s) and have a definite
agenda. After all, can one expect that such websites truly care for
any given person enough to spend their entire time, energy, and money in the pursuit of "protecting" you? These hosts, through the website(s) sponsored by such association(s) almost always do this to destroy independent agents/agencies. One indication of this is the fact that one such group has come up with what they call the "20 worst literary agents", a list that is included on many of this groups' websites. Of note is the fact that every single agent on the list is an independent agent, some of whom have been successful agents for 20-30+ years. There is not a single agent listed who is a member of the association associated with these individuals and their websites. Please be wary of these "hate" sites."

Do I laugh or do I cry? This is priceless.
Agent websites aren't required to conform to any guidelines, but this is the first I've encountered that does not give the names of its literary agents nor any record of experience and sales.

Last edited:

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
From that website: Of note is the fact that every single agent on the list is an independent agent, some of whom have been successful agents for 20-30+ years.

Hmm. As I recollect, the basic question is what books have they sold? Successful for 20-30+ years and no books sold? Where's my dictionary? There must be an alternate meaning. Or maybe an alternate universe floating about... :tongue