The NFL 2012 Season

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose it's unpopular, but go Patriots!

After a dreadful preseason with unending questions about the O-line, they looked pretty good on Sunday. Granted, Tennessee isn't exactly a powerhouse opponent, but what could have been a close game was handled nicely with a balanced attack and much improved defense. The Pats haven't had a balanced attack in years.

And holding CJ2K to 4 rushing yards is pretty impressive, I must say.

Go Pats!

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw an interesting statistic. The Browns haven't beaten a division rival since 2010. And this weekend they go against the Bengals who'll probably want to make an example out of them after getting embarrassed by the Ravens.

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
The Ravens were excellent in that game. Granted, it was against the Bengals but I think Baltimore is going to be the best team in the AFC this year. I just hope they have an off week when the Pats go down there.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
What's the new rule on completed passes all about? That really confused me. One player caught a pass in the air, got both feet down and took two steps. Then he got hit and the ground dislodged the ball. But they called it incomplete? Eh?

By the way, when are the proper refs coming back? There have been some very strange decisions.....

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
1...the ground can not cause a fumble.

2...player must have control of the ball no matter how many steps he takes. No juggling.

Did not see the replay, so I can't really comment on if he had control.

The scab refs are doing the best they can but are obviously out of their league. There is also the fact that the games this weekend seemed to take 30-45 minutes longer than they should, without any overtime.

In other news for Red Skin fans, RG3 won NFC player of the week award. The first rookie to do so. He will be featured on the SI cover this week and if you believe in the SI curses, the Skins will lose to the Rams.

Thanksgiving is going to be real interesting in my house. We play the Cowboys at Cowpoke stadium. My son and his GF are Cowboy fans. The rest of the family are of course Redskin fans. Where did I go wrong?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The player had control of the ball. He had it tucked when he took the two steps. So I can't see why they would call it incomplete. The commentators mentioned the new rule but didn't explain it.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the first Inside The NFL last night. Anybody else religious about watching this show? I like the break downs from guys that really know what they're talking about. Last night, Bill Cowher made a good point- claims it's the season of the no huddle offense and the audible, and that because of that rookie or 2nd year QB's could have a rough season. He also claimed that the Ravens are for real. I didn't get to watch their demolition of the Bengals, but I saw the clips. Flacco is one of those students of the game that seems to get better every year. I am concerned about the Ravens- I'm always concerned about the Ravens, but I'm more concerned about the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger (can't believe I still have to google his name for spelling- must be why people choose to refer to him simply as Big Ben). Ben's the kind of QB that when he's on, he is on. Not like a Tom Brady who is dependably good. Ben, when he's on, can perform miracles. But too often he has that deer-in-the-headlights expression on his face. I thought I saw that look on him on the sidelines this past week, waiting to take the field against the Broncos, and I thought, 'Uh-oh!'

Another topic of discussion this week on Inside The NFL is the strike. They all seem to agree that the league will win, that the officials will cave, and be back within 5 or 6 weeks. It was Chris Collingsworth, I think, who expressed a hope that in the meantime, the subs (mostly retired officials) don't blow so many calls, or don't blow a pivotal call that costs a team a game. Tonight is the 49ers and the Bears. Doubt I'll see it live, but there are times when modern technology is a wonderful thing.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Bugger. That will be on the radio in the middle of the night and I've got no way of recording it! Double bugger!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Bugger. That will be on the radio in the middle of the night and I've got no way of recording it! Double bugger!

A mother-buggerin' drag! I end up missing most the Steeler games every year. In LA, I might as well be in Europe. Actually, with these freakin' triple digit days, I'd rather be anywhere but here!

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
So what is Jerry Jones take on RG3

From the Bleacher report come this news...

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d8rdg?...m=newsletter&utm_campaign=washington-redskins

Jones states...

Jerry Jones noted Tuesday that the Washington Redskins nearly beat the Cowboys twice last season, “without really acceptable quarterbacking.”

Don't forget Jerry, we did beat the NY Giants twice last year. You know, the guys that did win the Superbowl.

“Well, I was very impressed,” Jones said on 105.3 [KRLD-FM] The Fan’s New School show. “He certainly showed a lot of poise. They had him game-planned really well to do the kinds of things that he does good. His athletic ability, his speed, all of that is something that I don’t look forward to the Cowboys competing against for a lot of years.”

I see 10 years or more of head aches for Jerry and the Dallas Cowgirls...

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Picks for today's games:
Ravens beat Eagles
Bills beat Chiefs
Bengals beat Browns
Vikings beat Colts
Raiders beat Dolphins
Patriots beat Cardinals
Giants beat Buccaneers
Panthers beat Saints
Texans beat Jaguars
Redskins beat Rams
Cowboys beat Seahawks
Chargers beat Titans
49ers beat Lions

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Today's game is a prime example of why it's so damn frustrating to be a Giants fan. That's the one thing they are consistent about - driving their fans to tear their hair out.

And someone really ought to suggest to them that a pass rush might be something they'd want to try every now and again...

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
My skins are looking real shaky right now. Jeff Fisher and the Rams have a good game plan right now. Hopefully Shanny and Griffin can shake off the 1st half and give the Rams something they are not prepared for.

The officiating in this game sucks...

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Just watched 49ers v Lions. Was not impressed with the Lions QB today. 49ers defence had him all ends up in the 1st 3 quarters. But Lions D did well not to let the 9ers get too far in front.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Raven's shot themselves in the foot with bad playcalling, on offense and defense. The new defensive coordinator isn't aggressive enough and not on the same level as the one that just left to coach the Colts. The offensive coordinator for the Ravens, Cam Cameron, has been bad for years and continues to cost the Ravens. I hope they fire him and promote Caldwell to OC.

Also, the refs are horrible.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Just found out there will be a Thursday Night game every week this year.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/TNF

Steelers beat the Jets yesterday. Looked a bit tenuous at first. Every year it's the Steeler offense fans have to worry about; defense was ranked first last year. This year, at least so far, both sides of the ball make us nervous. I'm looking forward to getting James Harrison and Troy Polamalu back.

Saw part of the 49ers/Lions game yesterday. Damn, niners look good. Alex Smith, I first took notice of him last year, plays like he really wants to win.

Steelers are 1-1 coming into Oakland.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I caught part of the SF-Detroit game and it looks like Alex Smith is blossoming under Harbaugh's tutelage. He's much more confident, and it shows in his game. The way SF is playing, I'm feeling a bit nervous, especially after the Bears loss to GB last Thursday.

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
Weeeelllll, Broncos didn't do much. Manning looked like a stunned goose trying to leave a pond, receivers were far too eager and resembled more a bunch of ants swarming around chocolate...I could go on. *sigh* It's going to be a long season :(

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya - Redskins already in trouble with the loss of Orakpo & Carriker :(

On the plus side, you have the future-all-universe rookie QB back there. You at least have reason to be hopeful. I'm still scared to death of dealing with RG III twice a season for the next several years.

Last edited: