Write 1/Sub 1 2014

art_to_words

Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to write 1 short story in May, and then 2 for each month after that. I was also going to start subbing a short story next month. As for novels, I was going to finish one by November, and start another for NaNoWriMo. So hopefully, I'll get at least 2 novels done! :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
w00t, great goals, art_to_words! Welcome to W1S1, and best of luck! :)

kamekichi

Registered
Reaction score
I know it's late in the year, but this sounds like a great idea. I'm hoping to do 2 short stories a month from here on, submitting at least one a month, and finish my current novel by mid-September.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have completed 3 novellas so far this year (20-30k words), two months apart.

I am planning to submit a novelette I wrote at the end of last year; I will run out of markets quickly, however, since it's 12k.

I had also planned to complete 2 novellas this month, but with half the month gone, and not having started one, and just 2400 words into the other, I'm guessing that turns into 1 completed novella this month (if I'm lucky)!

Side224

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like great motivation. Haven't yet finished my first story but I plan to start writing short story's for this along side my WIP novel.

goldenchicgirl

Registered
Reaction score
OK...question - do you guys have particular places you submit? And maybe short stories are different than novels (I have several short stories that could go out and 1 novel that I need to muddle through because of all the dang research I had to do before I could properly write it) when it comes to submitting?? Thanks for any advice. I can sub short stories if I understand where to sub 'em...as for the novel, my goal is to have that done by summer 2015. Because I know anything sooner than that is a pipe dream with Baby #3 showing up in 8 weeks...

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK...question - do you guys have particular places you submit? And maybe short stories are different than novels (I have several short stories that could go out and 1 novel that I need to muddle through because of all the dang research I had to do before I could properly write it) when it comes to submitting?? Thanks for any advice. I can sub short stories if I understand where to sub 'em...as for the novel, my goal is to have that done by summer 2015. Because I know anything sooner than that is a pipe dream with Baby #3 showing up in 8 weeks...

Hi Sara, and welcome.

It depends on your genre, but you can research short story markets on the following sites:

The Submissions Grinder
http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/

Ralan
www.ralan.com

Duotrope
duotrope.com

Good luck!