First Person Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoBird

Banned
Reaction score
I've heard that publishers are less likely to publish a book if it's written in first person -- that they greatly prefer things written in limited third.

Is there any truth to this?

jmare

My own worst enemy
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that publishers are less likely to publish a book if it's written in first person -- that they greatly prefer things written in limited third.

I think this notion comes from the fact the first person narration is generally accepted as harder to execute well than third-person. The bottom line is if the work, regardless of POV, is well written and compelling, there is a good chance that it will be published.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Write your story the way you wish.

There isn't any advantages or disadvantages of writing in 1st person vs 3rd person (other than secretiveness). It's just what POV you're looking at and where you're truly watching.

1st POV is mostly for one POV, throughout the story without any multiple VPs.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
1. I've heard that and I've heard the opposite, too.
2. I don't think it's true.
3. First person is not more difficult to write than third, lMO

BBBurke

Along for the ride
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairbburke.com
It also depends a little on genre. In YA, for example, first person is extremely common and popular right now. Publishers like things that are popular. In other genres it's a little less common, so publishers are likely to take a little more skeptical eye to it.

But if something is good, and the publisher thinks they can sell it, they will take first, second, third, fourth, whatever.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
I think it's dependent on genre and publisher.

But... when I discussed a first person proposal (erotic romance) with my editor she told me she rarely takes first and told me she'd prefer I stick to third.

Take a peek inside a selection of books from your genre and make note of what person is used. Amazon's 'peek inside' feature is good for this. It should give you an idea of what is common for what you write.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score

No.

Nor is there any truth to any other absolutist statement about writing.

I'm a big fan of first person, both in what I read and what I write. I find characterization much easier, both for the viewpoint character and other characters. I realize that other folks' mileage differs.

Lycoplax

Registered
Reaction score

I think the popular reads of the day are evidence to the contrary. 3rd is probably the most common POV in fiction, but that hardly means a manuscript would be passed up just because it's in 1st. If the story is good enough to sell, the POV won't hold it back.

dangerousbill said:
Nor is there any truth to any other absolutist statement about writing.

It amuses me that you used an absolute statement to say that.

But I agree. JoBird, writing is an extremely subjective thing. Some rules are there for a reason, but beyond that, take any advice as you will. You are free to agree or disagree with what you hear or read.

KDDante

Registered
Reaction score
I know the point has already been made, by I just want to give a couple of examples of successful 1st POV.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
Maximum Ride by James Patterson

:)

SeanCordernay

Registered
Reaction score
I think the popular reads of the day are evidence to the contrary. 3rd is probably the most common POV in fiction, but that hardly means a manuscript would be passed up just because it's in 1st. If the story is good enough to sell, the POV won't hold it back.

It amuses me that you used an absolute statement to say that.

But I agree. JoBird, writing is an extremely subjective thing. Some rules are there for a reason, but beyond that, take any advice as you will. You are free to agree or disagree with what you hear or read.

This. I find it funny, though, that I've been having the exact same problem lately. It just feels "right" when I write in first person POV, I don't know why. Maybe it stems from my desire to place myself in the character's shoes (if that makes any sense).

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I read the op's question and thought to myself, Gosh. Golly gee. I hope and pray that isn't true because, if it is, I'm royally screwed.

Of course I thought that. I'm incredibly narcissistic. :D (Or maybe not, as I also, just this morning, wrote this. Then again, maybe that posting and this one are two sides of the same coin. . .)

In fact, my first novel had four narrators, all telling their stories via that 1st person POV stream-of-consciousness thingie, much as I'm doing right now--except their stories were so much more interesting than mine, which makes me wonder, is anyone still reading? Maybe not. In that case, I consider this a soliloquy. Honestly, I'm okay with that. I shall pretend someone is still reading and say to that person, first of all, "Hi." Second of all, I can tell you that for me, writing in first-person-whatever is very easy. Doing so allows me to slip into the head of my character, tap into that and simply transcribe what I find. . .

I explained that wrong. Hopefully, you know what I mean. Anyway, the point is, I prefer first person POV, and whether or not readers embrace that is immaterial. My take? Screw convention, screw the latest trends. Quit worrying so much about if you should or shouldn't write this way or that. Write as you wish. Be true to your uniquely amazing and non-self-effacing self.

;)

Last edited:

Lycoplax

Registered
Reaction score
This. I find it funny, though, that I've been having the exact same problem lately. It just feels "right" when I write in first person POV, I don't know why. Maybe it stems from my desire to place myself in the character's shoes (if that makes any sense).

That does make sense. I tend to prefer 3rd, because I want to cheer on a character who isn't me. I don't want to be the character.

I just met a fellow Navy wife who is the opposite of me in reading taste. She only reads in 1st, because she can't get into 3rd. She has to be able to be the character to enjoy the book. And that baffles me. I respect her preference, of course, but it's just so contrary to my own. I can't wrap my head around the idea of only reading books like that.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I suspect this is the sort of thing an editor or slush reader would say after wading through a series of manuscripts that are all a deep, uninteresting internal monologue.

The most important thing about any character is the character standing next to them. Keep that in mind, and it will be fine. Good first person narratives, like The Great Gatsby, The House on Mango Street, etc, are too numerous for there to be any real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.