Do you guys hate the moment-to-moment stuff as much as I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEMartin2

Registered
Reaction score
I like to think in cinematic terms when it comes to writing mundane events. Every scene in a movie has purpose, even if it is cheap-to-film filler. So I try and describe a scene so the reader can isualize it how they want.

I dabbled with screenplays for the past two years before coming back to novels. It really helped, pacing wise.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Well, you certainly have gotten a lot of suggestions about a passage that you gave just as an example...but to answer your question, I don't mind the moment-to-moment stuff at all. My least favorite part of the process is when I get stuck while trying to outline. (E.g., I want to get from Point A to Point B but it's not clear how.)

What's an "outline"?

:tongue

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
To the OP:

I actually really enjoy the editing process--that seems to be what you're referring to. After a successful writing session, I get a good-writing high, but editing it the next day gives me real satisfaction. I've cleaned up the errors and messy sentences, and made something that I enjoy into something that's actually presentable to other people.

Also: get used to it. The words aren't the hard part; it's making them fit together (by editing) that's the hard part. /tough love

Goldenleaves

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I love writing the moment to moment stuff. Especially on the second draft.That's actually my favourite bit because it's the bit when I feel most 'there'.

It's like building a house. First you have the fun, airy fairy idea, wheee!

Then you get the pain in the butt actual nit picking plan drawing.

Then the hard graft with the plumbing, bricklaying, tiling, woodwork, electrics. plastering.

Finished? Great - then comes the moment to moment - the decorating!

(I don't like actual decorating at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.