I hate myself for posting this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I am using the word "smile" too much. Smile, grin, smirk, lips twitching with amusement...- these too.

Yes, I have used a thesaurus but nothing else seems to really fit. My peeps are happy to see one another though! Any thoughts as to what else I can use to convey a smile?

Stop being so damn happy all the time! :p

August Talok

Don't Eat the Grot!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tigcarson.com
Hit the nail on the head.

or simply say at the start of the book.She had a strange habit of greeting everyone or any situation with a smile.It was something she had been doing since she was a child.

This is how I would solve it as well. Establish it early on, then it's planted in the readers mind for the rest of the story.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you're using it in place of a dialogue tag, you might just want to switch to the dialogue tag.

Bob smiled. "I'd love to go."

vs.

"I'd love to go," Bob said.

Said is generally invisible, and the reader can probably infer that Bob is happy from what he's saying.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If you're using it in place of a dialogue tag, you might just want to switch to the dialogue tag.

Bob smiled. "I'd love to go."

vs.

"I'd love to go," Bob said.

Said is generally invisible, and the reader can probably infer that Bob is happy from what he's saying.

Generally, I would agree- but upon reading the two lines I got a different feeling from them. The first one was definitely more pleasant. :-S

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
or simply say at the start of the book.She had a strange habit of greeting everyone or any situation with a smile.It was something she had been doing since she was a child.

That's not her though. I can't just create an attribute to cover up my shotty writing. Know what I mean?

Jennn

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you can just show the characters eyes crinkling at the corners and the reader will get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.