End of the semester

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else in school and feeling the pressure of the end of the semester? It's crunch time with big papers to write. I have both term papers and creative work due, and classes end next week!!! Grad school is no joke, but I imagine anyone in school for anything is feeling it right now. This is when I question everything I am doing and doubt my abilities.

I love being in school, but, man, they don't make it easy. I have done so much this semester. I can't wait for this much-needed break.

What are you doing to get through this semester? And what are your writing plans over winter break?

For me, a ton of coffee and long writing session are essential for the next few days. I have no problem with the creative work that is due. I am in good shape there, but still need to put a little more work in. But term papers suck, and I suck at writing them. My goal is to finish everything (at least try) by the end of the weekend so I don't end up pulling an all-nighter the night before things are due.

Over break, I plan to work on my book and finish two short stories. I also have a stack of books that I would like to get to. What is the best way for a writer to utilize time off from school? I was thinking of taking a four-week writing class, but I think I just need time off from the classroom structure, at least for a few weeks before the next semester starts.

Matty lll

Registered
Reaction score
I'll not be getting a winter break strictly speaking, got exams and essays due in January. Not feeling much pressure yet, but then I am kind of lazy when it comes to revision until it comes to crunch time... haha

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I teach college biology for a living, and all the preparations for the end of the semester (grading, writing exams, explaining to certain students that they have all the information they need to calculate what the points they have to get on the final to pass the class, then explaining the principles of math they should have learned in grade school--seriously, a surprising number of college bio students can't grasp the principle of percentages) cut into writing time. I think it just goes with the territory in academic settings.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Oh, Roxxsmom, you have no idea how grateful I am that I don't have to mark assignments and essays ever again.

Scrub that. I'm sure you know exactly!

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
For me, it's when will I not get a day off? Joking aside, I'm looking forward to Winter Break. As strange as this sounds, Winter is actually one of my more productive months.

Nothing like the heater blowing, with the lights dim, and jamming to your surround screen of black screen with orange text. (I have a hard time seeing with black or white text.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been in college for a long time, but I remember end of semester well. Who doesn't? I loved the college environment, but not the classroom. Never the classroom. I just wanted to go somewhere quiet and get my work done.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Oh, Roxxsmom, you have no idea how grateful I am that I don't have to mark assignments and essays ever again.

Scrub that. I'm sure you know exactly!

"Grading is my favorite part of teaching," said no teacher ever. In spite of occasional mild grumbling, I actually enjoy the overwhelming majority of my students, and I'm really lucky to have a life where I get to geek out about the life sciences all day. But grading's the price I gotta pay.

Winter break is not necessarily super productive either. We're expected to visit family, and when I'm at my mom's or the In laws, I'm expected to be social rather than sequestering myself with the laptop. But life has to happen, even for writers. And honestly, I always come back with a certain amount of inspiration because of all the human interaction (and family drama) I experience during these visits.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Another who works in education, although I wasn't teaching this term. :) For me, this time of year usually means, "Oh, gosh, when do my holidays start so I can get Christmas taken care of?!?"

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If you teach, as I do, and even if you very greatly enjoy teaching, as I do, there is something about the end of every semester that makes you go:

"YESSSS. Thank you, Lord."

caw

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
caw- I couldn't have said it better myself!

I feel for you all, students and teachers. This semester in addition to teaching full time at high school, I am also teaching Adjunct at two universities. I am definitely glad to be grading instead of turning in assignments, but oh I really cannot wait to get to the moment when it is finished, and I breathe, and know I made it... Whew!

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
3rd semester of Ph.D. Coursework. I'm overwhelmed. Grumpy. I have one project to finish and one take home test to complete. No papers this semester, which I am a bit cross about. I wanted something to submit for either academic publication next semester, or, to present at a conference.

It's been a hell semester. I am so ready to finish and start the process of decompressing. :)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
My sister is in her second year at university and has 5 essays and a research proposal to submit by Friday (she has also just submitted her first ever journal submission.) Two weeks ago she was in panic mode to which I advised it was all about time management and organization (she was talking about requesting extensions). She has now submitted the proposal and two essays. She is in the final draft of two essays and the final one is in draft one stage. And I've promised her a treat once she's submitted everything.

Unfortunately, not much of a Christmas break for her. She has her reading to do for her Research Project (mini-dissertation) as well as starting to think about her Dissertation Proposal which has to be submitted in March.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Teaching is a noble profession, but I had several college professors I never saw after the first day of class.

But I'll bet we all have a teacher who made a difference. My was the reporter for the New York Times, not a professor, who taught basic Journalism 101. He agreed to teach in exchange for getting his Ph. D for free, and it was a wonderful deal for all concerned.

Being a field reporter, not a professor, he cared not for rules, for behavior, or anything else, as long as we learned, and he made damned sure we learned. He fit the stereotype of a world-weary reporter, and kept a bottle of whiskey in his desk, which he frequently broke out, and he chain smoked cigarettes in class.

He also allowed us to drink on special occasions, and to smoke.

He was not help in high esteem by other professors, but he was loved by every student he had, and he taught us more about real world writing of every kind, and of investigative reporting, than I learned form every other source put together.

I have no doubt my life would have been very different, and much poorer, had he not been my teacher.

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CrastersBabies congratulations on getting this far!

And that stinks about no papers- I both hated but loved them when doing my Ph.D. coursework, for that exact reason. I now always require them (of my graduate students) in some form for that very reason, because presenting it a great experience for Ph.D. students.

One of my presentations, presented while still writing my dissertation, ended up accepted also in a book from the conference presentations (only some were accepted). This was my first time to publish a chapter in a book (a book for linguists) and that never would have happened if I didn't have a professor require some type of research in the first place.

But I feel for all those struggling to get papers or whatever done. Whew! I am trying to get my own book finished, but it looks like I will be doing some on break as well...

Jamesaritchie, that is a great tribute to that teacher, and extra inspiration for me, as I grade many term papers and advise students, and hope I make a special difference where I can. I believe we all do in some way.

Happy almost break everyone!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
3rd semester of Ph.D. Coursework. I'm overwhelmed. Grumpy. I have one project to finish and one take home test to complete. No papers this semester, which I am a bit cross about. I wanted something to submit for either academic publication next semester, or, to present at a conference.

It's been a hell semester. I am so ready to finish and start the process of decompressing. :)

I am in an MFA program and thinking about going onto a PhD program. Maybe we can talk through private messages. Are you going for creative writing? That's my plan. But I'm having trouble to deciding which programs would be best for me. I have my first choice school, but I know I should apply to more than one. I've looked into all of them. Some are 2 or 3 years and some are 5 or 6 years. I'm not even sure how long to go for. Some require you teach and others offer full funding. And how important is location? I would love to hear more about how you chose a school and if you are happy with your decision. I'm also not 100 percent sure I will get in, but I have already decided that I will probably be willing to apply twice before giving up. Hopefully, I get in on my first shot. Anyway, I think it's awesome that you have made it so far in your education.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
School / uni end of semesters were a mixed blessing - sometimes they were the best part, because all you had to do is study in your own room, but at the same time, you had to study properly, complete your essays, submit them and then anxiously wait for the grades. And that last part was just as stressful as the deadlines!

Ironically, my favourite times were the end of school / uni exams - I was probably too hyped up over it. Working on my bachelor thesis nearly became a welcome hobby :D

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Grading is my favorite part of teaching," said no teacher ever.
Oh, gah, yes.
Marking long-answer exams is a pain. Marking 3000 word essays is horrible. Marking doctoral theses....

I just finished marking semester exams, but have to mark essays at the end of summer semester (Jan/Feb) plus have a doctoral thesis to do over Xmas. Joy, joy, joy.

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished another semester of my post-grad degree and it's like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders (but of course, it hasn't ended). I'm also working full time at the same time, so work is still chugging along

In my... summer break (since I'm in the southern hemisphere!) I plan to finish revisions my current novel and get it ready for querying in 2015. Weirdly enough, it's always when I'm crazily busy that the writing bug strikes.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci

A WIP
Registered
Reaction score
I had several college professors I never saw after the first day of class

I've heard similar stories (dating from before my time as a student). Things have changed. They would not last long in the current system.

sayamini

i could go for another cappuccino.
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I'm definitely feeling that end-of-semester frenzy right now. I'm a Marketing major currently writing business papers and studying for a management exam. Thankfully, this round of finals won't be as bad as previous semesters (somehow), but I'm still just stressed beyond belief.

As for the how-to-make-the-best-use-of-writing-time question... I'm not really sure. I generally just write continuously until I pass out for a month over break. Seriously. It's the only time I can stay up all night writing without worrying about the next day, so I just do that every single night. Planning to make significant headway into one of two novels-in-progress. One is a sequel and one is a prequel. The one that goes in the middle is done. Whee~

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard similar stories (dating from before my time as a student). Things have changed. They would not last long in the current system.

Wel, I had a prof who told the class not to ask him or the TAs any questions about the assignments and spent class time correcting the textbook from Wikipedia, which was apparently more accurate.

At the same university, a friend had a prof whose lecture was putting the textbook on the document camera and then reading it out loud. This was after assigning the same reading for homework the night before.

The only thing I can come up with is that they must've been bringing in grant money with their research.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Stress? Oh yeah but this is only a high school. I have late papers that need to be graded before I can leave school for vacation. The principal gave the faculty a big talk about getting grades in the gradebook this week. The kids are ready for vacation and getting them to turn stuff in is like pulling teeth. I am entering zeros today but then there will be great wailing and gnashing of teeth. When the parents call the principal we'll have a big faculty meeting telling us to take the zeros out and stop being so hard nosed. Did I mention that this is my last year? --s6

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.