Blogger signs deal, then self-pubs, keeps advance...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If the book was contracted to be 300 pages long but was submitted at only 46 pages long, I can see how the publishers might refuse it.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
She's lying through and through, and it's a publicity stunt. Her last sentence is to buy her book. Yep, she's got it all figured out.

"Big advance" is in the eye of the beholder. May have been $2.00 for all we know.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see how Trunk's actions might lead to smaller advances in the future; could you clarify?

She's not a big name, so her actions probably won't have much influence on anyone else, but in a general sense, when folks pull this sort of thing, it means that publisher has less money to sign other, more talented and dedicated writers.

"Big advance" is in the eye of the beholder. May have been $2.00 for all we know.

True. For some folk 5k is a Big advance, for others anything short of a 100k is cheap. Guess it depends on your circumstances, experience, following and expectations.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone heard an update on this? I stumbled across the story again on some other site, and when I went to check how the book was doing, it wasn't even for sale.

Anyone know why?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I haven't seen anything on this specific case. But it and a couple of others came up in convo with a couple of editors recently. Cited as a reason for not self-publishing until I'd made honest attempts at the Big Five. Many houses are now more cautious of self-published authors who may have 'exhausted their market'. So the self-pub to commercial-pub conveyor may not be a good strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.