Are you having fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
For the most part it's fun. But, for some of it (well, a lot of it), it's elbow grease and while it's better than mowing the yard, some of it IS work and that work needs to get done. The payoff during the "rad" moments, however, make it all worthwhile.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
Fun enough to make me feel constant guilt for others. But still fun.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Yep, fun. Loads of. I'm lucky to be doing a job I love. Deadlines are hard work, frustrating, back breaking, but.... *sighs* I'm content(ish)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having an incredible amount of book-love at the moment. I made a plot discovery and it's just fitting seamlessly into my theme. I'm so happy, I'm going to stop work for the day in case I break it. :Sun:

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, this question reminds me of people who think that once they find "Their One True Love" all struggle will cease and there will be no strife or work involved in maintaining the relationship.
But writing is a lot like a real marriage: some days are wonderful! Some days you can't imagine why you married your spouse at all. As long as the good outweighs the bad, it's worth doing and remarkably rewarding. Some days are just going to be hard work.

Satsya

slow and steady
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm focusing on the craft of writing? Hell yes.

When I'm focusing on the business of writing? Hell no.

Unfortunately, worrying about the latter too much puts a damper on the former.

Ohm22

Registered
Reaction score
I have fun the most when I'm writing action scenes, or that crucial scene that ties everything together. As for when I'm not, well, I push through those times to get to the fun writing again. :)

caffeine

Registered
Reaction score
The most fun I have when writing is when I hit the right stride. It's that point where I'm no longer thinking in words or paragraphs, but I'm seeing how the scene is supposed to be playing out and I'm practically transcribing it instead. Often, I really get into it when this happens - I start pacing around my house talking to myself in my characters' voices, for instance.

And then it gets downright surreal when I'm writing an action scene.

android415

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like a terrible writer, but no, I am not having fun. I am usually not having "fun" until the novel is finished. I like brainstorming, outlining, and finishing a book. But everything in between? I'll need a drink for that.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
It's "fun", yes. In an enjoyable kind of way that's difficult to explain. I enjoy the technical writing at my job as much as I enjoy my fiction writing. But it can be an awful lot of work too. Scanning lines looking for errors until my eyes feel like they're going to bleed isn't fun. But creating usable forms, documents, databases, spreadsheets, transforming raw data into useful documents, creating characters who come alive for me and a reader on the page? There's enjoyment and a deep sense of accomplishment in that.

Seeing my work being read and enjoyed by others? There's enjoyment there too. Getting paid to write? Oh, yeah - that's a whole lot of fun.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
To paraphrase what some more gifted among us have said...

The craft and creativity are fun and rewarding in ways that may defy adequate description. However, for those of us who esteem privacy and loath self-promotion, the agent chase and the publishing game can be utterly distasteful and disheartening.

This tends to surprise those - especially among non-writers - who think money is the answer to everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.