Editing A Synopsis

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to sub my novel, and the submission guidelines say to include a synopsis of no more than 500 words. The thing is, the synopsis I have is 954 words. :eek:

So, basically I have to cut out 50%.

Any ideas how I should go about it? Should I go through it once more and write down main plot points first? Any other advice?

*I know SYW.* :)

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to sub my novel, and the submission guidelines say to include a synopsis of no more than 500 words. The thing is, the synopsis I have is 954 words. :eek:

I don't know how anyone can judge a novel based on 500 words, but the 'golden rule' pertains here.

Your approach is a good one. Narrative synopsis --> outline --> back to synopsis

For a 50% cut, something serious has to go, perhaps one or more subplots, however essential. (This is where the outline form helps.) Also, short character descriptions. Modifiers.

Remove individual sentences or phrases and see if you can still understand the story.

Finally, it would be an unusually OCD publisher who would boot a synopsis for being 600 wd rather than 500.

Sometimes this is better done as a team effort, if you have a team.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any ideas how I should go about it?
Take out every other word. :)

All the obvious applies. Plot synopsis, not descriptions. Not characterizations. Just plot.

Chapter 1: We meet Johnny, the protagonist, and his evil twin brother Jeremy. Johnny is good-looking, wealthy, successful and Jeremy wants it
Chapter 2: Jeremy kills Johnny and takes his place. Johnny's girlfriend, Jenny, notices differences.
Chapter 3: Jeremy drives Johnny's Ferrari and slides off a cliff, critically injuring himself.
Chapter 4: Doctors find that "Johnny" needs a new kidney and try to contact Jeremy for a donor.
Chapter 5: Jenny figures out that "Johnny" must be Jeremy and starts to hunt for Johnny
Chapter 6: Jenny finds that Jeremy hired Jason to kill Johnny. Jason is Jenny's ex.

Keep it going until you reach the end. Though don't use this synopsis, I might decide to write it myself, it's starting to sound good. :)

Jeff

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Any ideas how I should go about it? Should I go through it once more and write down main plot points first? Any other advice?

*I know SYW.* :)

Basically, it's going to be about twice as long as the pitch from the query letter, and it's going to include the ending.

Leave out subplots. Just trace the inner and outer journey of the main character(s). Including the inciting incident, a couple of major turning points, the climax, and resolution. That allows for about 100 words for each of those points.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, some great advice here.:)

That allows for about 100 words for each of those points.

Eeek! ;)

I don't have a team. My plan is to concentrate on the synopsis this weekend. I promise to post in SYW next week. :)

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Take out every other word. :)

All the obvious applies. Plot synopsis, not descriptions. Not characterizations. Just plot.

Chapter 1: We meet Johnny, the protagonist, and his evil twin brother Jeremy. Johnny is good-looking, wealthy, successful and Jeremy wants it
Chapter 2: Jeremy kills Johnny and takes his place. Johnny's girlfriend, Jenny, notices differences.
Chapter 3: Jeremy drives Johnny's Ferrari and slides off a cliff, critically injuring himself.
Chapter 4: Doctors find that "Johnny" needs a new kidney and try to contact Jeremy for a donor.
Chapter 5: Jenny figures out that "Johnny" must be Jeremy and starts to hunt for Johnny
Chapter 6: Jenny finds that Jeremy hired Jason to kill Johnny. Jason is Jenny's ex.

Keep it going until you reach the end. Though don't use this synopsis, I might decide to write it myself, it's starting to sound good. :)

Jeff

This is a great idea... except for people that don't break out their novel in to chapters. :(

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
Find the hook (which is what you're really selling), the main story beats (the major plot points and scenes, focusing on the MC's), and the conclusion and present them as a narrative in the present tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.