Names for characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I use the names in the old cemeteries I wander through. True, I do see a lot of Calebs (due for a comeback) and Emmanuels, Horaces, etc., but the women's names can be quite contemporary. (Sarah, Hannah, Anna, Eliza, Amy, Emma, Sophia, etc.)

And sometimes the names just appear when the character walks onstage; he or she will simply tell me who they are. In those instances I have no clue where the names come from.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Thus far, names have either been provided (because I was writing about real people) or have come to me without much trouble. I admit that the name "Everett Everly" was inspired by Edward Everett, the famous 19th-century orator (but only the name--the character has nothing to do with the man).

I'm not too worried about being sued. My characters either are 1. real and long-dead or 2. fictional but living 150 years ago (and therefore impossible to be confused with anyone living).

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
My main characters came all set with their names, first, middle and last. I changed a few minor characters' names as I went along, but because my book is set in the early 19th century, it was mostly about changing last names because that's how those characters are referred to, mostly.

I like to explore the names on Nameberry.com.

Psychotic.Pink

Registered
Reaction score
Count me in as another fan of baby name sites.

'Behind the Name' (www.behindthename.com) is my favourite because it provides lists of names by theme, meaning, ethnicity, mythology etc.

It even lists names that are anagrams of each other, if you'd like to hide a secret clue about a connection between two characters. :)

I love that site. I use the random name generator when I don't have any preconceived notions as to what I want to call my characters (which is very often, so this is very useful)

When I'm having trouble naming fantasy characters (wherein I can name them anything) I take two words--whichever ones I want--and cross my eyes while I look at them. The two words mesh in my vision, and sometimes it helps me find something unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.