Breaking/Bending the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
I'm breaking the "don't start with a flashback" rule. It's either that or the "No prologue rule".

I have a pretty good reason for it.

See, first round, people told me to cut the prologue, so I did. That meant I had to integrate the information into the plot and spread it out. That was fine, until the book's pacing ate any of the stuff that I seeded in there. (I seeded by the rule of 3, the foreshadowing over three times and no one got it.) After people asked me, "But what's the back story?" and arguing that the chapters were "not unified" I realized that the pacing was eating my unifying story (for the reader) and it simply was not working. No matter how much I tweaked the damned thing it wouldn't come together for the reader.

The one book that became two books, I re-collapsed to one book, put the chapters from book 2, which were the back story anyway, as the leading chapters and it now works better. Now people don't have to track or think about objects so much because the pacing of the novel can do it's own thing without rubbing against the main storyline and eating it. Also means I can cut dead chapters which weren't working to my satisfaction.

Works much better--just means another round of edits.

I'm not sure I can solve the gender divide the book does to readers though... for some reason it splits amongst male and female readers evenly. But I may leave that.

So what about you? What "guidelines" have you ended up breaking on purpose?

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I broke the "No Prologue Rule," and I firmly believe that my prologue needs to be there. I've had some beta readers tell me the same, so I'm going to keep it. Of course, if my book ends up selling and my agent or editor tell me I'm wrong, into the trash it will go.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are no rules.

The "no prologue" rule isn't a rule. It's a remark on a phenomenon that happens with some noticeable frequency, noting that prologues are sometimes used as crutches for less-than-competent storytelling, excuses for infodumps, or are otherwise crap. And a warning against doing that.

The "no flashbacks" rule isn't a rule. It's a remark on (repeat almost the exact thing I said about prologues).

Yet, even infodumping itself can work. I seen it. It depends on the writing and the context and a variety of unpredictable factors that does not allow for concrete things like rules.

The rules are more like warnings, I think. Be aware of such-and-such. Avoid common pitfalls. Doopy doop.

Almost all the books I've read lately "violate" one of the "rules". Too much description. Too many unfamiliar terms. Inclusion of unnecessary detail. Infodumping. Distantly-written omniscient. A glossary AND a prologue AND an epilogue. Beginning in odd or too-far-back places. Use of vampires. A character endlessly fawning over another in weirdly introspective and flowery ways. None of those things stopped me from enjoying or even loving the books. They worked in their contexts, for me. Sometimes they don't. I've read books where they don't and I've read excerpts in SYW where they don't. But it all depends...

:D Unhelpful Commentary Woman awaaayyyyy :D

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
My main WIP opens with a flashback followed by a dream followed by the MC waking up. Too bad there are no mirrors around or I could've been 4 for 4 in my rule-breaking.

WIP #2 is written in omni.

WIP #3 also starts with a character waking up.

Rules are made to be broken. Except the describing people by having them look into a mirror thing. Just don't do that.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:brit

What do we want?

Less Rules!

When do we want 'em?

We want 'em NOW!

What do we want?

Less Rules!

When do we... :rulez:deadhorse:sword

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Too bad there are no mirrors around or I could've been 4 for 4 in my rule-breaking.

:roll:I keep seeing this mirror 'rule' and go 'I'm screwed'. My book is based on mirrors: an alien scryer that lives inside one is able to do touch-screen traces of people's past, present, future (and see a lot of interesting bedroom antics in the process). He's always looking in and out of them and influencing people's moves, kind of goes with the job.

It's sold, though. So I'll put that 'rule' back where it belongs. I don't mind mirrors.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with buz. All the "rules" I read about before I first became published I ignored and focused on the ability of the story to envelope the reader. Hasn't seemed to affect the evaluators at the review sites, they've given me top reviews regardless of following the rules.

Just concentrate on what pulls the reader into your fictional world, what makes them want to come back, not put the book down until the last page. I'm also fortunate that my publisher allows me to be gritty and realistic as hell. They may correct a little author intrusion or divine voice, yet they've never altered a scene because it was beyond the PC envelope. Bottomline - stay true to your muse, write what you like, and how you like it.

Dragoro

Learning about writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah I have a short prologue on my wip (about 1000 words) and two really small flashbacks in another chapter (paragraph for each). My wip would never work without them.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
My WIP's in omni. I submitted it for critique, and the other writers hauled out their rule books, madly flipped through them, and proclaimed "You can't do that. It's against the rules!"

Me: So what I am doing wrong in the story?

Writers: You can't use omni. It's against the rules.

Me: But what's wrong with the story?

Writers: You used omni. It's against the rules.

Can I get off the merry-go-round now? :e2seesaw:

I hate that so many of the "rules" discourage people into not trying, not experimenting.

When I picked omni, the first thing I thought was what I'd heard -- all those pesky rules. Would an agent reject me merely because I dared to use this viewpoint?

Maybe.

But I decided that was a risk I wanted to take. Because I wanted what was best for my story. It wasn't the only choice, but it was the best choice.

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
My book has a prologue. I cut it because I wasn't supposed to have one... and it didn't read as well. It is being published with a prologue :) It's not a flashback, more like a flash forward to a key scene at the end of the book (without giving away the ending of course :) )

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rules are made to be broken.
I will agree with this sentiment, but disagree with the comment as written. Rules are not meant to be broken, they are meant to be understood in terms of why they are there in the first place--they are common areas of writing that are horribly abused by novice (and sometimes experienced) writers. They are in contemporary usage because they highlight what is frequently clumsy, inexact, or overly florid writing and clumsy, inexact, and lazy/cliched storytelling. That doesn't mean they are actual rules, however. As others have mentioned, they are warnings. Breaking them because they "are meant to be broken" suggests an obstinate heel-planting "screw you" attitude toward them rather than a desire to understand why and how they came to be so they can be ignored or modified in a way that best serves the story but also avoids the most common pitfalls of setting them aside.

Do what's best for the story at all times, but at least understand why these "rules" are highlighted as story-threats by so many agents, editors, and other publishing professionals. Then they can be set aside without falling into the writing traps that brought them out as all-to-common problems in the first place.

A talented writer understands these "rules/conventions/guidelines/threats" and knows how and when to set them aside to better serve his/her story. This is an intellectual discipline. Understanding and learning about the craft are both necessary if one wants to strive for excellence.

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I will agree with this sentiment, but disagree with the comment as written. Rules are not meant to be broken, they are meant to be understood in terms of why they are there in the first place--they are common areas of writing that are horribly abused by novice (and sometimes experienced) writers. They are in contemporary usage because they highlight what is frequently clumsy, inexact, or overly florid writing and clumsy, inexact, and lazy/cliched storytelling. That doesn't mean they are actual rules, however. As others have mentioned, they are warnings. Breaking them because they "are meant to be broken" suggests an obstinate heel-planting "screw you" attitude toward them rather than a desire to understand why and how they came to be so they can be ignored or modified in a way that best serves the story but also avoids the most common pitfalls of setting them aside.

Do what's best for the story at all times, but at least understand why these "rules" are highlighted as story-threats by so many agents, editors, and other publishing professionals. Then they can be set aside without falling into the writing traps that brought them out as all-to-common problems in the first place.

A talented writer understands these "rules/conventions/guidelines/threats" and knows how and when to set them aside to better serve his/her story. This is an intellectual discipline. Understanding and learning about the craft are both necessary if one wants to strive for excellence.

:LilLove::heart::LilLove::heart::LilLove::heart:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The only rule is "don't suck". Books not starting in the middle of action re more likely to suck, but that isn't a rule--just an observation.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
No rule is universal, surely. They're suggestions more than rules, based on generalizations and commonalities.

But I have yet to read a book where the prologue was absolutely necessary. Sometimes they're well done, yes, but still superfluous, and could have been done better.

I do hope to eventually read a book where the prologue makes me go, "Well, there was no other way to do that."

Dragoro

Learning about writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
No rule is universal, surely. They're suggestions more than rules, based on generalizations and commonalities.

But I have yet to read a book where the prologue was absolutely necessary. Sometimes they're well done, yes, but still superfluous, and could have been done better.

I do hope to eventually read a book where the prologue makes me go, "Well, there was no other way to do that."

Prologue for Hitchhikers guide to galaxy. Where would that series be without the bulldozer scene?

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I actually agree that we need to understand the reasoning behind the rules in order to break them in a pleasing manner. But I've never read a really good book that followed all the rules. So I do think they're made to be broken, in the sense that if you don't have the skill to break them well, then you probably don't yet have the skill to write a really good book.

Also, once you know the rules and why they exist, the next step is often breaking them badly. It takes practice to break them effectively, and you can't practice without sucking at first. And I do feel that people getting caught up on the "rules" often makes it harder for others to learn to break them effectively. Like Linda Adams with her omni POV critiques. People just say "ZOMG, this sucks because you're breaking the RULEZ" instead of showing her how to write the POV she wanted to write more effectively. When you're trying to learn to write omni POV or well-orchestrated flashbacks or anything else that flies in the face of common writing advice, it can be ridiculously hard to get impartial critique and discussions that don't just turn into a debate over whether you can do that.

butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Since there are a ridiculous number of books on writing out there I don't feel that there are rules because if there were, those books would all be redundant.

Good books and lousy books sell. You never know who your book is going to appeal to so you may as well write it to please yourself and if you give it to a couple of readers be sure their comments will enhance your story - don't rewrite to please them.

I doubt Shakespeare wondered what the "rules" were when he wrote, he simply wrote about the truth of things and that is your responsiblity as a writer - to tell the truth through fiction.

edit: Veinglory makes a good point because parts of your book may possibly suck, just try not to carry the suck theme throughout. And more on the rules, do you drive? Always the speed limit? Never pass in a no-passing zone? Never run a red light? Breaking those rules can be life-altering and if you have broken one in your driving history I wouldn't be so hard on yourself as to adding a prologue, dream scene, or pulling a puffin out of a hat in a story.

Last edited:

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
For me, all it matters is if it's working i.e: am I pleasing the reader and getting my point across in a clean way? If yes, screw the guidelines and all the rules. I think those "rules" are things which usually affects the quality of writing, but everyone writes differently, so why exactly the same set of "rules" works for every single writer?

It just doesn't.

Although, I have observed, the "speech tags are the spawn of Satan" guideline does apply to my work.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, first mistake was thinking "No prologues!" was a rule. Second mistake was thinking it couldn't be broken. Third mistake was doing anything to the story that wasn't right for that story.

My only ironclad rule - Remember who the author is.

Josie Cloos

Registered
Reaction score
In my own head most of the time, but I take jaunts
I've always been an intuitive writer and wasn't even aware of the 'rules' until fairly recently. i just wrote and rewrote until it sounded the way I wanted it to sound. I still do but with the knowledge I break rules left and right. (Shrugs) If I'm to believe the feedback I've gotten on my writing over the years-it works for me. Those pesky commas, semi colons and all their friends though...

I don't think anyone should be afraid to 'go there'. It's writing; not brain surgery. If you mess up no one is going to be harmed. You just keep plugging away until you find your stride and go with it. Don't worry about doing it wrong; focus on doing it well.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My WIP's in omni. I submitted it for critique, and the other writers hauled out their rule books, madly flipped through them, and proclaimed "You can't do that. It's against the rules!"

Me: So what I am doing wrong in the story?

Writers: You can't use omni. It's against the rules.

Me: But what's wrong with the story?

Writers: You used omni. It's against the rules.

Can I get off the merry-go-round now? :e2seesaw:

I hate that so many of the "rules" discourage people into not trying, not experimenting.

When I picked omni, the first thing I thought was what I'd heard -- all those pesky rules. Would an agent reject me merely because I dared to use this viewpoint?

Maybe.

But I decided that was a risk I wanted to take. Because I wanted what was best for my story. It wasn't the only choice, but it was the best choice.
I, with my whole freakin' heart, relate to that.

In fact, that's exactly what I would've posted. Especially that I want what is best for my story. And, OPOV is that.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
What have I broken?

Prologue, epilogue. And, my prologue is chapter 1 + 2, because I broke that rule. Epilogue is used correctly, but used anyhow.

I never describe a certain power in my Fantasy WIP.

I repeat, repeat and continue to repeat themes within the writing like "through the wind" which one character uses wind to 'feel'.

My chapters don't end on some "hook" to keep the reader pinned. They keep them interested, but I don't cut and form them to make the reader continue.

My character preach a bit.

A lot of my characters have deep back story, that's never told, but still play a role in the current story, which leaves unanswered questions.

I use flashbacks, but in a unique way, to the fantasy world.

I use incomplete chekhov's guns, that are state in the first 5 pages of my first book, possibly never completed until the end of the series (whenever that is).

That said, I follow the "suggested guidelines" quite close.
In both story telling and writing. If it makes good sense, I do it. If it doesn't, screw it.

I believe you can break the "suggested guidelines", just make sure the reader doesn't point it out too easily. If it makes sense and works, go right ahead. If it's blatantly obvious, leave it out.

All in all, entertain me, in whatever way you wish.

Last edited:

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score

quoted for truth.....rules are not rules, they are guidelines. and they are made to be broken.....given those caveats, though, you can break the rules because you know enough to have a reason, and a way, or out of some sort of ignorance........so, of the two, which do you think helps a story?

Status
Not open for further replies.