amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Author Jacqueline Woodson won the young people’s literature prize at the National Book Awards on Wednesday night for her novel “Brown Girl Dreaming.” The day after the ceremony, the story making waves? An incredibly ill-advised joke by awards host Daniel Handler, who marveled that Woodson, who is black, is allergic to watermelon.
(From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-jacqueline-woodson-at-national-book-awards/)

The Salon article is good: http://www.salon.com/2014/11/20/thi...ny/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Especially for this bit:

Blogger David Perry eloquently summed up his thoughts on the incident: “For a powerful white author to make a watermelon joke when handing out an award to a black author, the message is –[sic] no matter what you write, no matter what you do, no matter what you accomplish, you will always be a BLACK author, not just an author.”
I'm still wrapping my mind around what possibly led Daniel Handler to think this was even remotely funny.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are no words which can properly describe my reaction. What the fuck was the man thinking, that this seemed like a good idea?

Maryn, aghast

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Fucking moronic asshole.

Period.

His apology was one half-step above useless. Are we supposed to believe the spotlight made him nervous? Um, no.

Fucking moronic asshole.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I still don't really get it. There must be some cultural context I'm missing here, about black people and watermelons. I imagine it's something like a Frenchman saying 'oh how funny, an Englishman allergic to roast beef'. Except when you say it about a PoC...

You just don't want to ram a stick in that hornet's nest, especially not when it's to prove 'I'm an ok guy, coz black people find my racist jokes funny...'

*facepalm*

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Here's what gets me. Apparently he added this, taken from the Salon article:
And I said you have to put that in a book. And she said, you put that in a book. And I said I am only writing a book about a black girl who is allergic to watermelon if I get a blurb from you, Cornell West, Toni Morrison, and Barack Obama saying,”This guy’s okay. This guy’s fine.”
So he knew it wasn't cool. I just -- That doesn't make any sense to me. If you know what you're saying isn't cool, and you also know it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, then why say it? Geez.

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
What the hell? Just... What the hell?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the Salon article yesterday.

WTF man. He already tried the joke in private and it didn't go over well, so hey, let's not take the black lady's word that it's offensive to her and (he should have been able to guess) black people in general. He's a white dude, so of course he knows funny, right?

Reminds me of the Negraph Key and Peele sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIRwGCJWPo4

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
There are times you must look at the whole package. You look at or hear the comment; you look at the person making it. Daniel Handler is not clueless, he is not moronic, and he is not unaware. The comment was mean-spirited and he is a racist asshole.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
This is very disappointing, to say the least.

I still don't really get it. There must be some cultural context I'm missing here, about black people and watermelons.
It was a common element of horribly racist caricatures, back when they were still socially acceptable. So, to intentionally make the association, as he did, is to intentionally invoke the other aspects of those incredibly offensive caricatures, as well.

Last edited:

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
I still don't really get it. There must be some cultural context I'm missing here, about black people and watermelons. I imagine it's something like a Frenchman saying 'oh how funny, an Englishman allergic to roast beef'. Except when you say it about a PoC...

You just don't want to ram a stick in that hornet's nest, especially not when it's to prove 'I'm an ok guy, coz black people find my racist jokes funny...'

*facepalm*
I live in a part of the country where you couldn't swing a sack of potatoes without hitting somebody who's at least somewhat racist, and I don't get it either. But, more to the point, he obviously understood that it was and decided to make the joke anyways. I don't think that makes him a "racist ass" (I don't really view things as so polarized as that), but it was crass.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Blogger David Perry eloquently summed up his thoughts on the incident: “For a powerful white author to make a watermelon joke when handing out an award to a black author, the message is –[sic] no matter what you write, no matter what you do, no matter what you accomplish, you will always be a BLACK author, not just an author.”

This seems like a wrong reply to me, if I understand it correctly. Based one comment the blogger is implying that racism is a prevalent attitude in society in general. Maybe it is, but such a conclusion certainly can't be drawn from one incident. Condemn the host; not the entire population at large.

Last edited:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score

Ah, ok. I didn't know there was all that racist stereotyping behind it. It makes a lot more sense to me now, and makes my analogy pretty inadequate. I just thought it was along the lines of saying that Indians love curry, or Jamaicans love rice and peas. But those stereotypes, while they can be used in an offensive way, don't carry the same connotation at all.

Yeah, even more astounded now.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Last edited:

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm arguing with my friend about this, who claims it isn't that big of a deal because "everyone's racist" and Daniel Handler meant no harm. She's under the impression Jacqueline knew ahead of time about Daniel Handler's comments and was okay with them. Daniel mentions in his quote that he told Jacqueline ahead of time he would bring it up at the ceremony, supporting my friend's point. Are there any new quotes about how Jacqueline feels about the incident?

I told her that even if Jacqueline was in on it, it's still wrong to make a racist joke at such a public event, but she said it shouldn't be a big deal if it was between friends.

My friend's a super cool person so I'm baffled at this interpretation. I understand her reluctance to accept Daniel Handler as racist because she's a big fan of his, but I think it's clear the joke itself was racist and inappropriate no matter who was telling it.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Hmm, why does this remind me a bit of the situation where a certain celebrated SF writer groped another celebrated SF writer who was hosting a highly prestigious awards ceremony (as I recall, there was a certain amount of argument at the time about whether or not it was sexist or simply a joke gone flat, and about whether she'd known about the "joke" beforehand, and about whether the recipient of the grope was really offended or not)?

Goes to show (as if we need a reminder) that being a celebrated writer doesn't endow a person with enlightenment or sensitivity, let alone social graces.

Ugh, just ugh.

I read amergina's link and saw this:

A private girls' school in Northern California wanted to incorporate Black History Month into lunch time, so it decided to serve fried chicken, watermelon, and cornbread.
This shows how a huge number of Americans don't get it either.

Last edited:

graygrammar

Registered
Reaction score

This seems like a wrong reply to me, if I understand it correctly. Based one comment the blogger is implying that racism is a prevalent attitude in society in general. Maybe it is, but such a conclusion certainly can't be drawn from one incident. Condemn the host; not the entire population at large.

The reply is meant to point out that a society that provides a racist man with that much power, provides a racist man with that much voice (as a best-selling author of children's literature--children's literature), and makes that racist man the host of a literary awards ceremony is an inherently racist society. The blogger is saying that this incident is symptomatic, just as a malignant tumor is symptomatic of cancer.

I loved the Lemony Snicket books as a kid, but I recently spotted a transmisogynistic joke in his Unauthorized Autobiography, so I'm really not surprised that he's proving himself to be a jerk.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm arguing with my friend about this, who claims it isn't that big of a deal because "everyone's racist" and Daniel Handler meant no harm.
No, not everyone is racist.

And this is 2014. You'd have to have lived in a cave for the last 50+ years to think telling a watermelon joke would be greeted by anything but a horrible, uncomfortable silence.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
The moment he uttered that 'joke' in front of an audience, it ceased to be 'between friends.'

No, not everyone is racist.

And this is 2014. You'd have to have lived in a cave for the last 50+ years to think telling a watermelon joke would be greeted by anything but a horrible, uncomfortable silence.

I agree with both of you, but I was hoping to have something from Jacqueline to show her. It's probably best for me not to speak about it with her anymore, though, because it's a point of contention between us. I don't think talking to her about it anymore will help anything.

To clarify my point, I think what Daniel Handler said was wrong and was racist under any circumstance.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
I've also heard that he referred to the two black poetry nominees as "probable cause." If that's true*, the watermelon comment isn't a standalone or a joke "between friends" but part of a pattern.

*I've seen it in a number of reports but they all seem to cite the same source.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
I've also heard that he referred to the two black poetry nominees as "probable cause." If that's true*, the watermelon comment isn't a standalone or a joke "between friends" but part of a pattern.

*I've seen it in a number of reports but they all seem to cite the same source.

I had to read the links to understand the watermelon thing. And now you're going to have to explain this one to me as well. I don't know what 'probable cause' means or why it's racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.