Status
Not open for further replies.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
My work and writing laptop (the one I am using right now) has no games on it. If I felt I was being distracted by the internet I could turn the wifi off with one tiny switch.

Why do we need to buy a whole new machine to do something that we can do right now for free?

There are potential issues around the cloud storage. Would you have to be in a wifi area to use it? Then there's the tiny screen at a fixed angle to the keyboard. If anything it looks to be too flat compared with an ideal viewing angle. The lack of a mouse. Presumably non standard software.

I'll give them some marks for creativity for linking it to Hemmingway. But apart from that ... no, thanks. It's a solution looking for a problem.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
The killjoy is strong in this thread.

So it's a big, expensive alphasmart.

It also looks cool. Considering I just read the procrastination thread agonizing over finding the perfect size notebook? And how many threads have we had about finding the perfect pen to write with?

:rolleyes:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
There are potential issues around the cloud storage. Would you have to be in a wifi area to use it? Then there's the tiny screen at a fixed angle to the keyboard. If anything it looks to be too flat compared with an ideal viewing angle. The lack of a mouse. Presumably non standard software.

Again, "cloud storage" just means that stuff is saved elsewhere and can be synced across multiple devices. When cloud services do not allow you to access documents you've already used offline, that's generally an issue with the service, not with cloud storage itself, because when you use these sorts of things they do have to download to your computer to use them. This is why spotify asks to use a bunch of space on your harddrive even though you can "only" use it when you're connected to the internet. The songs are actually on your computer, but you can't listen to them because of DRM and licensing issues. Some mobile stuff will auto delete not because of licensing but because mobile devices are assumed to have storage space issues. Considering this thing is exclusively handling text documents, I'm assuming space won't be an issue. It'd be nice if it had, say, a micro-SD as well, though.

I'd guess the screen is probably a touchscreen. I'm wondering if this just runs a version of android like everything else... and if it can then be rooted.

YAzoo

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding distraction-free writing: have you ever tried this site?

http://writeordie.com/

I find it very helpful. You set your own consequences for not writing. So, you can set it to where if you stop typing for fifteen seconds, it will emit annoying sounds or songs, which will only stop if you start typing again. There is a 'buy' option, but I always just use the 'try' option (which is free) and then copy and paste whatever I wrote into word documents.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
$399??? Are they serious???

Let's see... Instead, you could get

1. Onyx Boox ($199)
2. Bluetooth keyboard ($20-40)
3. Any number of "distraction-free" writing apps for Android (many of them free)

I can imagine these things catching on if they were like, $150 or less, but with budget tablets I don't think people can afford to be "distraction-free".

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Wow! That's actually a thing? That could be a life savor when I start middle grade series books.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I don't think I can reasonably expect to be Hemingway. Even if I referred to write the Hemingway, I mean Write Like Hemingway.

I did have to look twice, cause it was not to long ago I also saw a page for "we just recently came out with a hover board!" Of course I think this is a little more honest.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. But I bet it's going to sell for a pretty penny due to having a mechanical keyboard, some engineering in the e-ink screen, the "fashionable" design, and the neat/trendy/hipster-like appeal.

I'll stick with my $20 Alphasmart Neo, thank you. I bet that thing can't touch the Neo on battery life.

Pretty cool, and I signed up. Thing is, I already have two real "Hemingwaywritees". One is a pencil, which he used for first drafts, and the other is a manual typewriter like teh one he used for final drafts. Both are distraction free, and I use them regularly.

Writing, like life, is always about what you need, it's sometimes about what you want, what you like, or what you think is cool. Life would be boring as hell is I had nothing except what I actually need.

I don't need my manual typewriter, but it's cool, and I love writing on it, so I do. I sure as anything don't need a four hundred and fifty dollar fountain pen to write with, but I love it, it's cool, it's fun, and I want it. I love it, it's cool, it's fun, and I want it justifies buying and using anything that makes you happy.

I've even been seriously thinking about buying a steampunk computer/typewriter, as soon as I can swing it. This is the one I have my eye on: https://www.etsy.com/listing/208541...puter&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
would like to buy an antique typewriter maybe just to have. an underwood from the 50's or thereabouts. they go for a pretty penny though. kinda collector's items now I believe. $200+ for one in good shape, my guess?

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Well my brain is pink and moist because there's a lot of blood in it. I don't know about yours...

Referring to the ongoing debate over the color of the human brain:

I took the liberty of looking it up on Wikipedia and here's what it said:

Although referred to as grey matter, the live cortex is pinkish-beige in color and slightly off-white in the interior.

So all those saying "the brain's pink" you can dance around the endzone and whoop it up. :tongue

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
you writers are so knowledgeable and versed in all subjects
g*d, it is intimidating at times !

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
What would that be? The brain is gray, not pink. I don't think I want anything pink and moist in my head.

It's got a pinky colour to it when it's alive

I assume you'd prefer your brain in your head rather than sucked out*? I mean, the choice is yours...

*Where I oh so subtly reveal what the hell I am referring to

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
would like to buy an antique typewriter maybe just to have. an underwood from the 50's or thereabouts. they go for a pretty penny though. kinda collector's items now I believe. $200+ for one in good shape, my guess?
I still have mine from when I first started in this here writing thing. It was my mom's and is a portable Remington from the 50s. I just need a $2 ribbon for it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Well my brain is pink and moist because there's a lot of blood in it. I don't know about yours...

Well, I assume mine looks like other brains I've seen, two at autopsies, and one freshly splattered on a wall by a bullet. Admittedly, those had very little blood left, and maybe a living brain inside the skull is pink, though I know at least part of it is gray.

As for my brain, if it needs good blood flow, it's out of luck. I have more clogged arteries that the L.A. Freeway system.

Status
Not open for further replies.