Creative Writing Teacher Gets Canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, Ken. If she taught creative writing at a college (adults rather than children), a lot of these issues wouldn't be issues so she might be happier there anyway. If she has her masters she'd qualify to teach the first two years of college. She certainly has the experience, but this publicity she's gotten herself is terrible for that. Nobody wants to hire someone who might make them the next one who's in the news! I wonder if she has a plan with all this or just got mad or what.

The thing is, regardless of what the general public thinks, to her colleagues and bosses who were actually in that field, her behavior would certainly raise eyebrows, and likely get her fired, non-renewed contract, or at least put on an improvement plan (which it sounds like is what they were doing when she quit instead of participating). There are expectations and restrictions for K-12 teachers that don't apply to people who work with adults. Teachers really can't do anything legal that they want on their off-hours, and they sign a contract agreeing to that.

For example, here is a bit about it for Texas. Note the "moral turpitude" clause:
https://community.edb.utexas.edu/socialmedia/ideassm_training_content/menu-training/4

I think just as everyone isn't a good fit for the military, retail sales, office work or whatever, some people fit into that culture and are happy within the restrictions and others just aren't really that type. I was very surprised she'd been there for several years, tbh. It could be because she was so good with her subject.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I agree, Ken. If she taught creative writing at a college (adults rather than children), a lot of these issues wouldn't be issues so she might be happier there anyway. If she has her masters she'd qualify to teach the first two years of college. She certainly has the experience, but this publicity she's gotten herself is terrible for that. Nobody wants to hire someone who might make them the next one who's in the news! I wonder if she has a plan with all this or just got mad or what.

The thing is, regardless of what the general public thinks, to her colleagues and bosses who were actually in that field, her behavior would certainly raise eyebrows, and likely get her fired, non-renewed contract, or at least put on an improvement plan (which it sounds like is what they were doing when she quit instead of participating). There are expectations and restrictions for K-12 teachers that don't apply to people who work with adults. Teachers really can't do anything legal that they want on their off-hours, and they sign a contract agreeing to that.

For example, here is a bit about it for Texas. Note the "moral turpitude" clause:
https://community.edb.utexas.edu/socialmedia/ideassm_training_content/menu-training/4

I think just as everyone isn't a good fit for the military, retail sales, office work or whatever, some people fit into that culture and are happy within the restrictions and others just aren't really that type. I was very surprised she'd been there for several years, tbh. It could be because she was so good with her subject.

More reasons I would never want to be a teacher. Come under fire for a private message sent to your girl/boyfriend? Fuck that.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
I think Fruitbat (and earlier in the thread James) have nailed this one. It's a phenomenon we have seen many times before.

Employee does X and is later fired. The employee then goes to the press and says "Look! Isn't it unfair? All I did was X and they fired me."

And then we have the usual arguments along the lines of ... No-one should be fired for doing X. Isn't the employer awful? What dreadful times we live in.

But when you learn a little more about the case you normally find that the employee didn't just do X. They also did Y and Z. Not to mention A, B and C. And a little bit of D, E and F.

The employer usually can't put their side of the story because they are - quite rightly - keeping the details confidential. So the press run a one-sided story. Teacher sacked for doing X.

It is rarely as straightforward as the scandal press would have us believe.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Scandal sells. So the media veers towards that, I guess. It does go both ways, so you can never be sure without investigating on your own as Fruitbat and others have. Sometimes it's the teacher, etc. Sometimes it's the employer: school district. Sometimes it's just a over-zealous reporter making a mountain of a molehill.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I think the teacher was probably guilty of unprofessional behavior that doesn't fit in most US high-school settings. Before the problems could be properly investigated, she flounced off and aired everything in public. School boards hate that, no matter that who is at fault. That said, this story is yet another confirmation of why I never even considered teaching public school.

Status
Not open for further replies.