Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
About the gentleman taking me to the show... we were undergrads at the same time and in the same fraternity*. He went off and got a PhD, but came back to the area for work.

While we don't have the *same* set of friends, our circles intersect quite a bit and I kept running into him at events and parties and stuff.

He's nice-looking, yes. :)

*We were both brothers of Alpha Phi Omega, the national co-ed service fraternity.

Get some, gina!

Last edited:

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Black-Marlin and Triceretops!

Gais,

I'm going to see Les Mis (the stage production not the movie) tomorrow night.

With a guy. Who invited me.

:gone:

Oh this sounds fun! And what a good choice he's made for the first date destination. Bodes well. :D

I listened all the way through. Not because I'm a youngster, but because I not-so-secretly love hair bands. :D

About the gentleman taking me to the show... we were undergrads at the same time and in the same fraternity*. He went off and got a PhD, but came back to the area for work.

While we don't have the *same* set of friends, our circles intersect quite a bit and I kept running into him at events and parties and stuff.

He's nice-looking, yes. :)

*We were both brothers of Alpha Phi Omega, the national co-ed service fraternity.

This bodes even better. :e2brows:

Words were had Cantina! Nearly 900!!!! :snoopy: I would have written even more but I had to make dinner.

I'm working on my Contemporary Fantasy right now. This is the only one I current have an outline for and I must say that it helps immensely. Knowing where the chapter is going helps the words to flow more easily.

Yay words! Outlining helps me a lot too.

Yay, RA, for words!

My goals tonight include: words (!) and reading friend's new words to help point her in a direction with them. So, overall, A Very Writer Tuesday.

Again, I say, yay words!

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Random question: Which do you think sounds better?

Modular Integrated Prosthesis (M.I.P)
Integrated Modular Prosthesis (I.M.P)

It's just a name for the sci-fi style prosthetic limbs in my science fiction story. I'm agonising over this incredibly minor detail, I know. But still...

If you're going to use the initial version at any point, I would suggest the first one. You probably don't want to use IMP in association with prosthesis.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
You know what is depressing? When you have a story idea -- not just an idea, but a BRILLIANT idea, one that you'd pay lots of money to read, one that you know would be a bestseller and the making of your career -- and you already know you can't pull it off.

It sucks.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Oh, no. Husband just told me he would leave me alone to write until I made my word count goal. This is lovely, except for that now I actually have to stop playing on the Internet and, you know, write.

Well played, husband. Well played.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
You know what is depressing? When you have a story idea -- not just an idea, but a BRILLIANT idea, one that you'd pay lots of money to read, one that you know would be a bestseller and the making of your career -- and you already know you can't pull it off.

It sucks.
*pats on back* I know dear, I know. Welcome to my world. Come on, let's get a drink and you can tell me all about it while I try and listen while simultaneously oggling the cute bartender. :D

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score

It sucks.

Which is why you should try anyway, and be pleasantly surprised if and when it turns out alright. It might take a few drafts, it might take a million drafts, but unless you tackle it head-on, you'll always be left wondering, "What if I had followed that plot bunny into that hole...?"

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Which is why you should try anyway, and be pleasantly surprised if and when it turns out alright. It might take a few drafts, it might take a million drafts, but unless you tackle it head-on, you'll always be left wondering, "What if I had followed that plot bunny into that hole...?"

Totally this. You might surprise yourself. (Though, not necessarily us. We already know you're awesome. ;) )

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Epic multi-quote incoming...

Evening all. I've been lurking awhiles, checking out the Cantina crowd (Cylons in the far corner, I'm watching you) and now I think I'll pull up a bar stool and ask for a shot of that Ol' Janx Spirit (leave the bottle, barkeep, leave the bottle).

Welcome to the Cantina. Watch out for the Kraken - and try not to step on any smibbles. :)

Another Scottish person, huh? I don't know whether to flee or make myself comfortable.

As long as they bring good single malt, I'm fine with more Scots.

:e2drunk:

It is almost as if the sum knowledge of Scotland has been gained from watching films and reading TV Tropes (don't make me linky)...

:popcorn:

Oddly enough, I've found that withholding tickets to comic conventions works just as well.

Which isn't limited to getting children to cooperate...

*eyes tickets for Angoulême jealously*

I'm not Scottish. I'm from God's own country psychiatric ward, Northern Ireland.

:roll:

Ah, poetry is being mentioned! *runs and hides as flashbacks of GCSE English begin*

Make it stop... *hugs teddy bear* Make it stop...

Would it be less painful if it was Ogden Nash poems being dropped into the thread? :D

So while I'm waiting for the vet to return I'm chatting to Blueberry and I just happen to notice his feathers aren't sitting right and too much skin is showing and his birdie finger looks too big for his size.

His fingers on that side are much fatter than the other side and it doesnt seem like a normal swelling :( Now I'm worried he has cancer rather than a freak injury. I'm going to see how it looks tomorrow and find another vet.

Could it merely be a skin infection of some kind? I know that rashes of various kinds are a problem in some birds (parakeets, for one), and it can be hard to tell from a visual inspection what is going on. Hopefully it is something minor. :)

I'd rather have something worse... like a haunted leg. At least a haunted leg deserves being frustrated and losing sleep over.

You are trying to get me to make a Tarot reference, aren't you?

*refuses to rise to the bait*

Star Trek: TNG, Farscape, or Babylon 5? Hmm...

B5, then Lexx, then Farscape... Save TNG for when it is raining outside. :D

Well maybe I officially belong in here since I'm writing the sequel to my supposed SF series.

Supposed? *is intrigued*

But it's awesome having a publisher as a serious, intense writing buddy. And his ideas are so accurate and dead on that I fear I wouldn't or couldn't do this without him.

While it is great that you are getting encouragement, remember that it is your book, and you are the one whose name is going to be on the book - I always have trouble when I'm meant to be gushing over publishers. The people matter, the name of the publisher on the spine... I don't really get as excited as I should. Good luck with the book. :)

Write it.

You are gonna get The Speech as well.

Seriously.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It is almost as if the sum knowledge of Scotland has been gained from watching films and reading TV Tropes (don't make me linky)...

:popcorn:

Hey, I've driven on single track B-roads in Scotland! With a standard transmission! (And survived!)

Mind you, one of the times was to get to a distillery. Which probably says more about me than Scotland.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com

Absolutely this. I'd kill for an awesome premise--something I could really take to the bank. I expend way too much energy on cliche or tired tropes, plots and themes.

tri

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
What's frustrating is that I know I could write the plot. But for it to work, the character has to be spot on perfect. And I can't get him spot on perfect.

Think Flashman in a Steampunk or Dieselpunk setting. Flashman works because, despite being a liar, a poltroon, a coward, a lech and a scoundrel, he's just so damned CHARMING you're willing to follow along.

I'm not that good a writer.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Junely, try it anyway. At least give it a first pass.

Maybe if I made him less of a scoundrel and more of a schlemazel. The idea is to go lighthearted, rather than the heavy sturm and drang of a lot of the punk genres.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
What's frustrating is that I know I could write the plot. But for it to work, the character has to be spot on perfect. And I can't get him spot on perfect.

Think Flashman in a Steampunk or Dieselpunk setting. Flashman works because, despite being a liar, a poltroon, a coward, a lech and a scoundrel, he's just so damned CHARMING you're willing to follow along.

I'm not that good a writer.

You won't ever be that good of a writer if you don't try to be that good of a writer. You won't improve if you don't push yourself, don't try to exceed what you perceive as your limits. You may not get it perfect the first time, you may not get it perfect the fifth time, but there will be a world of difference between the first and the fifth.

If you wish you could write something but don't think that you're a good enough writer, there's two things you can do: try writing it and seeing how and where you can improve, or try writing it...and prove yourself wrong.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I blame AW, and the SF/F First Line Game on the Science Fiction message board. I came up with a line for it a few months ago, and it's haunted me ever since.

"Let's just get this out into the open, so there are no surprises later: I'm a mage, a liar, a philanderer, a smuggler, an impersonator of various noble personages -- oh, and an occasional hero; do try and keep up."

This is a story that's begging to be written.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I blame AW, and the SF/F First Line Game on the Science Fiction message board. I came up with a line for it a few months ago, and it's haunted me ever since.

"Let's just get this out into the open, so there are no surprises later: I'm a mage, a liar, a philanderer, a smuggler, an impersonator of various noble personages -- oh, and an occasional hero; do try and keep up."

This is a story that's begging to be written.

Dooooooooo ieeeeeeeet!

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, I usually don't get a good night's sleep on anything but a bed or a couch. :D

I'm hitting the hay as well. Night, all!

Status
Not open for further replies.