amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I got through the plot log jam in my SS story! It's flowing again!

It's going to be longer than I planned. As usual.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Star Trek: TNG, Farscape, or Babylon 5? Hmm...

Yes.

Thanks Cobra. They gave me booze and now I'm quoting Northern Irish poetry. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry...

I've stopped now...

That's SOP for this place.

So... not gay?

*crosses off list*

:D

Nope. Sorry.

CobraMrsFit is scary, yo. :(

Nah, she sweet and caring.

She's just well trained with high-caliber weapons is all.

Random question: Which do you think sounds better?

Modular Integrated Prosthesis (M.I.P)
Integrated Modular Prosthesis (I.M.P)

It's just a name for the sci-fi style prosthetic limbs in my science fiction story. I'm agonising over this incredibly minor detail, I know. But still...

If this is military-SF, military people LOVE to use nicknames. Calling their new limb an "imp" would be very accurate.

"Yeah, my imp is acting up again."

"Damn imp, always slowing me down."

"That a hell if a sexy imp, Gunny."

Etc.

Junely, try it anyway. At least give it a first pass.

This.

The only way to guarantee you won't have a best-seller is to not write it.

Junely, I'm giving you The Glare*.

*The stop-doubting-and-get-your-fingers-to-typing-and-also-we-love/support-you one. Patent Pending.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
:hi: Tri. Pull up a chair. Have a magic glass. Do watch out for the Kracken and the Raptors...

There's a map of the Cantina Pirate Ship Treehouse at the end of the Universe somewhere around here...

*points to signature*

This. It was too complicated, but I've merged some motivations (so two characters have similar motivations instead of several) and I know how it's going to go now :D

It's due on the last day of feb, no?

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I blame AW, and the SF/F First Line Game on the Science Fiction message board. I came up with a line for it a few months ago, and it's haunted me ever since.

"Let's just get this out into the open, so there are no surprises later: I'm a mage, a liar, a philanderer, a smuggler, an impersonator of various noble personages -- oh, and an occasional hero; do try and keep up."

This is a story that's begging to be written.

Fun line! Gogo story!

Yay for getting through the jam. :)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
[Adam Adamant Lives]

Love that series almost as much as The Avengers. :D

I saw (and reviewed) that when it came out on DVD a few years back. Pity that so many episodes no longer survive, including most of the second series.

You have yourself a point here. See, this is what happens when someone tries to write science fiction despite rarely, if ever, reading it. I need to find me some science fiction short stories to read.

Well, trying to write a genre you don't read is a bad idea, a lesson I learned the hard way when I wrote my now-trunked other-world fantasy novel. Don't make the mistake of thinking that media SF and written SF are the same things, delivery method apart. They're not.

Read and learn from classic SF by all means (as you'll find that modern SF is not infrequently in dialogue with it) but by all means read CURRENT SF. There are several year's best volumes about, some quite chunky, that you shouldn't have any difficulty getting hold of.

Writers read. Writers read widely. Go thou and do likewise.

Amazon trip cancelled. :(

Sorry to hear that, Max. I bet you're disappointed.

Yesterday was unavoidably only my second non-writing day since Christmas. I haven't slept very well and I'm about to go to the day job. The first meeting of the local writers' group is tonight but it looks like I'll skip it. Nice to have the excuse that you're too busy writing to attend a writers' group.

SS still being further planned in my head. I have a title now too.

And good morning Cantina.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning :Sun:

You know, as fun as it sounds, sometimes low blood pressure sucks. Just saying. At least I feel better now.

So, do you like the view? I swapped places with the computer last night. I can actually see out of the window now. Today I have a wonderful snow covered view of next doors house. At least the sun is out, even if it is minus 5 or something.

I think staying indoors may be on my agenda for today.

:Coffee:

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
About the gentleman taking me to the show... we were undergrads at the same time and in the same fraternity*. He went off and got a PhD, but came back to the area for work.

While we don't have the *same* set of friends, our circles intersect quite a bit and I kept running into him at events and parties and stuff.

He's nice-looking, yes. :)

*We were both brothers of Alpha Phi Omega, the national co-ed service fraternity.

Eeeeeeeeee! He loooooves you! Go get him, Gina! :Jump:

QFT!!!!

(there's room for him in the EZ Freeze, right?)

Always. The EZ-Freeze is like the Tardis that way.

I listened all the way through. Not because I'm a youngster, but because I not-so-secretly love hair bands. :D

Oh my God. A kindred spirit. :heart:

Think Flashman in a Steampunk or Dieselpunk setting. Flashman works because, despite being a liar, a poltroon, a coward, a lech and a scoundrel, he's just so damned CHARMING you're willing to follow along.

Thiiiiis seems like my kind of character. Yes. I would like to read about this man.

Nah, she sweet and caring.

She's just well trained with high-caliber weapons is all.

Like I said. Scary. It's always the nice ones with guns you have to look out for! :D

You know, as fun as it sounds, sometimes low blood pressure sucks. Just saying. At least I feel better now.

Yes, yes it does. :Hug2: I've had low blood pressure my entire life, and now I have to take daily meds that lower my BP even further, to hopefully decrease the frequency and severity of my migraines. Ugh. Poor Ali :(

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
*eyes tickets for Angoulême jealously*

Hey! I've been there! A few times... Why are you eyeing tickets to there jealously? Cause... I know people. People who have spare rooms within an hour's drive. But then again, you do HAVE to drive, because there's no bus or train service to the village. Hmm. It's a lovely villa, though*... going to be featured in some nifty architectural 'building of interest' thingie in the next few months. :)

* although there is the thing with the flies...

Boooo! :( *comfort*

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, yes it does. :Hug2: I've had low blood pressure my entire life, and now I have to take daily meds that lower my BP even further, to hopefully decrease the frequency and severity of my migraines. Ugh. Poor Ali :(

Goodness me 10s, how do you manage? At least my episode was self-inflicted by getting my all eating timing wrong.

ION, I am writing a plot onto a pad of post-it notes without taking the notes off. So I am kind of writing a book, it's really cool!

ETA: Can someone explain todays Google doodle please. I am confused.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
In other news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOV18WKNtgI

A minute and a half of fuzzy cuteness.

So. Much. Fluff!

Random Question: Do bunnies make good pets?

Which is why you should try anyway, and be pleasantly surprised if and when it turns out alright. It might take a few drafts, it might take a million drafts, but unless you tackle it head-on, you'll always be left wondering, "What if I had followed that plot bunny into that hole...?"

What she said.

I blame AW, and the SF/F First Line Game on the Science Fiction message board. I came up with a line for it a few months ago, and it's haunted me ever since.

"Let's just get this out into the open, so there are no surprises later: I'm a mage, a liar, a philanderer, a smuggler, an impersonator of various noble personages -- oh, and an occasional hero; do try and keep up."

This is a story that's begging to be written.

Dooooooooo ieeeeeeeet!

And what she said. :)

It's due on the last day of feb, no?

The 10th, actually. But Fen will correct me if I'm wrong.

No pressure. :D

For a second there I thought you meant Amazon like the website and I was confused. But sorry to hear that. Going to the Amazon would be awesome.

And now, back to bed with me.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, my mum just got home. :( Now I don't have the house to myself anymore, I need to act normal again.

No more dancing around the kitchen for me today...

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Max, maybe that opportunity will come up again.

ION, I am flicking through a book of apple related recipes and I have come across 'Pippin Pie'. I didn't know you could bake hobbits.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
So I was up twice last night. Once to change wet sheets and once to feed a baby. But I got to lay in bed until 8 and that's unheard of in this house.

How are y'all?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Max: :(

I'm awake. There was snow-ish stuff on the ground. I go to Les Mis tonight. Tomorrow evening, I drive to Detroit for Immortal ConFusion.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Why are you eyeing tickets to there jealously? Cause... I know people.

I am still sans passport. :( My ire at all the things I cannot do (well, one really, really important thing) is beginning to have an adverse effect on my patience and general niceness. I may bite someone if I don't get it soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.