The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
Have a feeling the person posting as travis tea doesn't realize that the amazon system puts "read name" under the names of posters who are using their real names.

Kinda sad, in a way, since the cheerleaders at PA are certain this tt is real...

Laura J. Underwood (A Little Bit of Travis Tea--My ATLANTA NIGHTS can poke out your EYE OF ARGON any day!)

DRAGON'S TONGUE forthcoming from Meisha Merlin in the Summer of 2006. Preview a copy at http://www.embiid.net.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
cwgranny said:
I think his reasoning is this -- you are tagging the identity of the dialogue speaker (whose voice you are hearing) without actively pointing at him with a speech tag, thus identifying the speaker through the use of narrative action must be "passive voice." But to work out that kind of definition for a term he must never have seen in context (passive voice) reminds me of some "theories" some friends and I came up with about sex when we were about 12.

Oh, that must be what he meant. Great analogy, too, although I shudder at the memories myself... :eek:

cwgranny said:
To me, one of the most tragically painful things about the PA board ISN'T the lack of information about PA -- it's the reality that some of these folks are honestly using it as their sole source of information about writing. I try not to read it because it makes me feel like crying for some of these writers. They're actually trying to learn...but guys, it helps if you get your sex talk from someone who has had sex. Or seen sex. Or read about sex. Hey, at least wait for a guy who has had a dog fall in love with his leg.

Heck, I wish they'd just use Google. For example, if you Google "passive voice," the first site you end up with is an article from Perdue's OWL (on-line writing lab).

And I can think of many writers, not just PA writers, who should click that link. I'm sick of putting something up for critique and being told that a sentence along the lines of "He was tall." has the passive voice. :Headbang:

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
keltora said:
Have a feeling the person posting as travis tea doesn't realize that the amazon system puts "read name" under the names of posters who are using their real names.

Kinda sad, in a way, since the cheerleaders at PA are certain this tt is real...

Laura J. Underwood (A Little Bit of Travis Tea--My ATLANTA NIGHTS can poke out your EYE OF ARGON any day!)

DRAGON'S TONGUE forthcoming from Meisha Merlin in the Summer of 2006. Preview a copy at http://www.embiid.net.

What? Travis Tea isn't real?? Say it ain't so!

(If nothing else, even though I think the reviews are a terrible idea, every time someone goes on the board to talk about it, someone sees Atlanta Nights.)

Now I can add this: Jaws, you are hilarious.

...they won't let me add any more to your reputation :roll:

Kevin, in the below post, I loved the () to Larry...tried to send rep points but lost it somehow.

Last edited:

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I just thought of something. After the convention last year (I know, I'm slow sometimes) HB was saying that PA and he knew about Lynn Price's new company (Behler Publications). Well I was just thinking, if they knew about it before the convention, such as the claim, then why let her go to the convention at all? I mean, come on people. It would be way harder to try and convince people about PA on their own board then it would be to do it in person. PA can't delete live people...or not yet at least. Now, there can only be two reasons for this. 1.) they didn't know about Lynn's company and are just saying they did, or 2.) they didn't care and only wanted her money. Now both don't make them look good. #1 shows that they will lie to make themselves look smarter (hi Larry) and #2 shows how money hungry they are. Either they just wanted her money and didn't care how many people she could warn, or they are adding on to their stack of more lies (books are in all bookstores right Larry?)

I can't think of which one it would be. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

realitychuck

Hack Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
OTOH, our local paper had a glowing review of a PA book last Sunday. I'm sure the author is thrilled, but even a legtimate review is probably not enough to get his book into bookstores due to PA's policies.

If the book is as good as the reviewer indicates, it would have been picked up by a real publisher, and the writer could have had some real success. Now, he'll have a great review and sales in the low triple figures, instead of the thousands he'd have with a real publisher.

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/general/2104.htm
Because of all the recent problems, and a thought that anyone can read our boards, may I suggest a fix?

Why can't anyone wanting to read the boards have to have the same password as only PA authors have.

In that way it will stop others from reading and getting book titles and such and will also narrow down just WHOM the guilty parties are if this trashing continues after that fix.
Just trying to solve this annoyance.

Ok, the above is from the PublishAmerica Message board. PA uses that board for the public to see it's happy authors...LARRY, I'm telling you right now that if you go private with that board, everyone will think it's because of all the un-happy authors I have found, just a thought. And, will you let the bogus bogus travis tea push you around?
Am I writing that right? travis tea not capitalized is how the reviewer review's, but he is bogus, and the Travis Tea of Atlanta Nights is bogus, so would it be bogus bogus?
Good grief, am I even spelling bogus right? Guess I'll take a break from this computer for a few, it must be getting to me.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Kevin, a "publishing company" that's...

...clueless enough to offer a publishing contract on "Atlanta Nights" is not one that is being run by people with razor sharp IQs. Most scam operators are not terrifically bright, or they wouldn't allow themselves to run such fraudulent operations in the first place. Typically, they luck into an idea that catches on, and no one is more surprised than they are when the money comes in. Then all they know to do is keep milking the scam for money. What brought the Deerings down was greed, they couldn't see the noose closing around them because they loved the money too much. I firmly believe that PA is cycling through the same process. PA can't change because the money is too good, and the brainpower among the New Three Stooges is such that they can't make a change. They are like the Titanic, the iceberg has been sighted but they are too stupid to tug on the rudder...

(Translation: They didn't have a clue about Behler...)

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
bikrpreacher said:
Just thought I'd throw this in too, since I started emailing, people are looking up my book, so I put a review up myself if you want to check it out...just to try to explain what in the world is going on.
Chris, I went and rated the review as a NO, not helpful, and reported both bogus reviews as inappropriate. Which they were. Those weren't reviews, and I agree, the person who's doing that needs to stop. For one thing, reading those stupid reviews makes my head hurt. Please, spelling and grammar count, even for people behaving badly. :Smack:

The other thing is karma - that person needs to stop it before life boomerangs back on them.

I hope that helps get them removed from your book listing.

Susan G.

Last edited:

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Ed Williams said:
....and it seems that Travis Tea has made his impact even there.

I was involved in two signings, one show, and had one speaking engagement whilst there. Saturday afternoon I'd just finished a signing and had about three hours to kill before doing a little speaking. I decided to just poke around the town square - Dahlonega is an old north Georgia mining town, and has lots of restaurants and shops. I hate shopping, but I didn't want to have to drive back to the mountain cabin they graciously let me use for the weekend, so I decided to just poke around. Anyway, in my wanderings I came upon a little bookstore. I walked in, looked around some, and after awhile owner of the store came over and started a conversation with me. While we talked, I mentioned PublishAmerica, just to get a reaction. The following was her verbatim response:

"PublishAmerica? Those asses. We carried one book of theirs, cause the lady that wrote it came from around here and talked us into it. We tried calling them to order some more, and could never get anybody there to answer the phone, so we had to work out something where we bought the books direct from the author. Bad mistake, big pain in the *** to have to do that. And besides, after this Travis Tea **** I wouldn't be caught dead carrying one of their books now. Too embarrassing."

I think I found the PA author who was going there, Ed -

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/general/2101.htm
I'm venting. I just returned from a weekend literary festival where the people from Barnes & Noble wouldn't even consider giving a signing in their own Atlanta stores to ANY PA author. Then I got back here and saw the same old negative crap about know-it-alls and "grammar doesn't matter" from PA authors themselves. Well, it sure as hell mattered to those B&N people who had much to say about PA and PA books, stuff that I won't repeat.
I am not wrong for wanting people to care about their writing. I myself care about their writing; otherwise, I wouldn't have spent "umpteen" hours carefully crafting and posting information to help others. I surely didn't get paid for it. Of course, now I'm getting paid in a lot of negativity that cancels out the positive.
I don't condescend, but I sometimes speak the truth for the sake of a writer's work. Those who can't take critique are usually those who have never received a rejection letter in their lives.
Yes, I will post again. These literary anarchists will not keep me away. I'm like a pot that boils over when the fire reaches a certain temperature.
And by the way, that Pulitzer stuff was brought up again as you can see. Well, I'd rather be a loser in an Olympic race than not be in the running at all.
Also, one of the Barnes & Noble reps said I should change my book cover and font type and spacing and blah-blah-blah. Then I asked her why in two seminars that none of their people mentioned one freaking word about literary quality. She was at a loss for words. She was a literary idiot.
So call me what you will, or share with me what you will. In ten years we'll see whose books are still around.
:Lecture:

and another PA author discovers the world ain't what PublishAmerica says it is...

:Headbang:

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Wow. That's all I can say. Wow. :::shakes head inabsolute consternation::: Just when you think it can't possibly get any weirder over at PA...comes this. If I was still a drinking man, I'd say this calls for a double, straight up.

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
realitychuck said:
OTOH, our local paper had a glowing review of a PA book last Sunday. I'm sure the author is thrilled, but even a legtimate review is probably not enough to get his book into bookstores due to PA's policies.

If the book is as good as the reviewer indicates, it would have been picked up by a real publisher, and the writer could have had some real success. Now, he'll have a great review and sales in the low triple figures, instead of the thousands he'd have with a real publisher.

It could be that the author didn't submit to anyone but PA. I didn't try any other publishers before them. I just landed on the site and to quote Kevin, "I found a fish on the sidewalk."

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The people I worry about are the ones who land on PA's site first when they go to Google for a publisher, and fall for the false, misleading, and deceptive advertising that they find there.

Meanwhile ... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411622987/

I know that you can get it cheaper at lulu.com, but let's get an Amazon sales number going!

(And it's still a pile cheaper than a 300-page book would be from PA....)

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, if calling a message board Eden isn't idolization, I don't know what is. That's ludicrous. I'm quite sure God would not like to be equated with the three stooges over there.:rolleyes:

I'm not making fun of the author either, but good grief, take a step BACK and look at what was posted!! I'm so glad that I'm banned from the Eden of message boards.
713.gif

I remember the boards when Lynn Price left. There was a lot of hush- hush going on. The feeling that I got was that she was a pariah and could you believe anyone would do such a thing? Cult-like behavior fits.

I truly don't mean to come off harsh. It's just that the more I read, the angrier I get.

bikrpreacher said:
I wrote to Amazon and gave them the links to all the travis tea reviews I could find and asked that they be removed because the Authors were getting upset about it and they are gone...hope I didn't miss any links.

This just in:
http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/general/2105.htm

I was thinking today that this board (and the others as
well) remind me of the question: Why did God give
mankind free will? How did it develop?

PA has the good sense to allow us to use the boards
freely, amd when we sometimes abuse the use of the
boards, disciplines us, yet only occasionally bans us
(sends us out of the garden) as punishment; but often if
we ask for a new password, they give it to us.

Have you ever thought about the similarity?

It seems to me to reflect well on the PA administration
team that allows us to use these boards to discuss,
disagree, debate (without spite or hurtful, snide remarks
we would hope) to our betterment.

The above is from the messageboard, and now I guess I'll join in the discussion I avoided...cult.
Just shoot me, for heavens sake, comparing the board to eden, please.
Ok, now I KNOW what you are thinking, and I'm not making fun of the author, this author is a sweetheart if there ever was one, but banning out of the garden? I was banned out of eden? Okay, this is like the editor in my second book who wouldn't correct an error when I was QUOTING the bible, I miss-quoted, and not only that, she did too, only HER miss-quote will be in the book...because she said she was right. :Wha:
If this isn't the darndest thing I have ever read in my life I don't know what is.
Well, I imagine she thinks it's right, but to liken the three stooges to God, and the message boards as eden...oh go ahead, just shoot me now.

Last edited:

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
I know that you can get it cheaper at lulu.com, but let's get an Amazon sales number going!
I'll be buying one from Amazon soon, and send it to my big brother, who happens to be a big fan of yours James!

Last edited:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Sheryl Nantus said:
I think I found the PA author who was going there, Ed -

and another PA author discovers the world ain't what PublishAmerica says it is...

This is truly astonishing.

And the cult-garden thing is simply appalling.

And Travis Tea? I don't see how anyone in February 2005 who seriously calls him/herself a writer could not know what Atlanta Nights is and who "Travis Tea" is.
:Shrug:

Kevin Yarbrough

Registered
Reaction score
I was banned for sticking up for Lynn during that odious time. One of the big three was posting as an author, which you can always tell who they are since these names are never on the board except for times like that, and we got into it. I told the person they were a PA employee and that was all she wrote. I was banned and the argument between me and the mystery PA employee was taken out but the thread was left. Why was the thread left? So people could bash Lynn. Like there wasn't thought put into that. Slander pure and simple.

Ed, thanks for the translation after your post to me. It was all looking greek up until the end man. I mean, you used big words like IQ's and icebergs, noose and neck. The one that really got me was brainpower. Man, I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Just messing with you man. I'm thinking that they didn't know about Behler either, just wanted to make you guys think. I know after I posted that my head hurt something bad. Had to take some advil, vicodin and midol and wash it down with some Captain Morgan. Feel better now, can't think to much in the future. Hey!? Is that fish I smell? Ohh, that's this thread about PA, nevermind.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/general/2101.htm

For over a year I've been nice on this board, but some things today make me pull no more punches. First it was the continuous snide remarks on here. Then it was that illiterate jerk who's bashing PA on Amazon. His name is supposedly "Travis Tea," and his book is supposedly _Atlanta Nights_. His publisher is Lulu. Go read his reviews on Amazon, about his book and those written by him about others.

Anyway, I'm madder than hell.

Could someone please tell this fellow that the Travis Tea who wrote Atlanta Nights has nothing whatever to do with those bogus "reviews" that have been showing up at Amazon?

The rest of his post is interesting too ... especially when you look at threads like this one, elsewhere at PA:

I would like to know if as a writer you can have a good story to tell, but because of perhaps a lack of education or a weakness in your grammar and or style write a poorly written novel. Should you then give up and STOP writing?

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/general/2093.htm

No, you shouldn't give up and stop writing ... but what's stopping you from learning how to write?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
And another lie perpetuated by the brainwashed...

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/7898.htm

While I agree that every writer should strive to make their ms's the best they can be, get rid of all the spelling and grammar errors they can.... and ffor the last poster Joyce, I'm shouting so maybe you'll get it...

AUTHORS PUBLISHED BY REPUTABLE HOUSES DO NOT, that's NOT, PAY FOR EDITING. REPUTABLE PUBLISHERS ASSIGN YOU AN EDITOR NOT JUST FOR COPY, BUT FOR CONTENT. if you have to pay for that, you've been suckered. End of story.

She says to expect the publisher to edit the story is asking alot. Not "PA" but "publisher", meaning to me all publishers. Uh, Joyce, another lie PA has fed you. You should expect your publisher to edit. If it's a reputable publisher, that is.

Maybe if I have it tattooed on my backside, take a picture and send it all over the internet, the message will sink in.

D'ya think?

Last edited:

Kevin Yarbrough

Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
And another lie perpetuated by the brainwashed...

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/7898.htm

While I agree that every writer should strive to make their ms's the best they can be, get rid of all the spelling and grammar errors they can.... and ffor the last poster Joyce, I'm shouting so maybe you'll get it...

AUTHORS PUBLISHED BY REPUTABLE HOUSES DO NOT, that's NOT, PAY FOR EDITING. REPUTABLE PUBLISHERS ASSIGN YOU AN EDITOR NOT JUST FOR COPY, BUT FOR CONTENT. if you have to pay for that, you've been suckered. End of story.

She says to expect the publisher to edit the story is asking alot. Not "PA" but "publisher", meaning to me all publishers. Uh, Joyce, another lie PA has fed you. You should expect your publisher to edit. If it's a reputable publisher, that is.

Maybe if I have it tattooed on my backside, take a picture and send it all over the internet, the message will sink in.

D'ya think?
I know if I did that and sent it out over the net there would be a mass hysteria. People would go crazy, depression would rise, and people would be killing each other. Plus my phone would be ringing off the hook and people stopping by at all times of the night. All I could say was sorry to the men for causing the depression and to the ladies that won't stop calling and coming by and killing each other to get further up in line...I'm married. I mean I know I have a nice butt, but ladies, there is only enough of me to go around.

So to save the human race and not make the other men feel inferior I will not do that. I sat on a copier at a christmas party once and sent the fliers out....I think the place shut down in less than a week.

Last edited:

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
"Just shoot me, for heavens sake, comparing the board to eden, please."

Are you kidding? It's perfect. You try to eat from the Tree of Knowledge and get kicked out, all the while being advised by a snake and wandering around with your dangly bits hanging out for everyone to gawp at. The only exception is that even Satan's apparently on your side if you're on the PA board. Travis Tea, we've finally found thee...

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Christine N. said:

D'ya think?

Yeah, and just watch that become the most popular thing you've ever written....

The amazing quote from that post is:
If you can afford an editor, great. To depend on the
publisher's editors to do the job for you, unless you are
paying for it, is asking a lot, especially since they are
overwhelmed with having to read several books a day
or week. If you can find a friend you trust and are sure
(s)he has the background or education, then you are
fortunate. I personally find it astonishing that authors
expect the editors at PA or anywhere else, after they
have sent their manuscripts, to rewrite at times their
entire manuscript and to correct every flaw. That I would
send a manuscript without perfecting it to the best of my
ability, I cannot imagine myself doing.

In my opinion, if a book is that badly written, it should be
sent back to the author by the publisher with a kind
letter letting him/her know it should be edited. At the
same time, letting misspelled words escape an editor's
notice over several hundred pages seems to me to be
sloppy editing. A real dilemma.

"Or anywhere else," she says. Listen, everywhere else (everywhere that's real), editors do edit. Not a book a day, or a book a week ... they may work with an author for months. If a book is badly written it gets sent back with a note that reads, not "hire an editor," but "this manuscript does not suit our current needs." It's called a rejection slip, and all of us have 'em. Dozens, or hundreds. All they mean is "write a new, better, book." Not "hire an editor."

Oh -- the question about "who are they?" meaning ibooks? That's Byron Preiss. Those who've been around publishing for a while know why I'm laughing.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Is that the same Byron Preiss who set up a games company? (I can't imagine there's that many of them around, but it could happen...) If so, you've got to credit someone who decides to buy some big name licenses and ends up with

(drumroll)

FORBES CORPORATE WARRIOR! The hot name that ALL the cool kids are talking about!

Status
Not open for further replies.