The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Dummy copies

Canada James said:
If you gave the bookstore manager a copy of your book that was a true, edited copy not marked "not for resale", then you gave him a dummy copy. He wasn't acting in bad taste he was simply treating you the same way he would any publisher that did the same.

If I was a publisher...
(although one could argue that going with PA is little difference)
Good info to know for future use...

:hat:
Big Daddy West

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
Renee said,
"That's what bothers me more than anything..the ones who knows the truth but will not do anything about it to help themselves and other authors. Hence the cycle continues for some other could be writer."

There are people spiteful enough to joyfully lead others into the same hole they have just fallen in themselves, hence drug dealers and scam artists.

Is that what happened to the three of them way back when? They were all taken in by a scam and never got over it. Jerks.

Oh, and ...snake, snake, headless snake, kiss a snake, snake in the grass. Now am I gonna get a nasty e mail, too? I'm soooo scared.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ed Williams said:
Larry, comb those manuscripts carefully, something bigger than "Atlanta Nights" lurks out there somewhere....

Mmmmm-hmmmm. :Clap:

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Sher2 said:
Hey, I'll trade you a dead snake for some naked Vin Diesel pix.:ROFL:

Shoot, nasty e-mails are a badge of honor. If I've provoked someone, that's progress. They really ought to get more creative, though.
:sleepy:

Shoot, I'm still waiting on my Vin Diesel pics..lol..but if I get one rest assured, I'll share by sending you a copy..lol..hey I can see it now as my new avatar:faint: ..yeah!

I still holding on to the dream till morning..lol..

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Of course, the most creative I've ever seen is one individual, who shall remain nameless, who signed up for email using the email addresses of other individuals who either didn't agree with him or give him his way. Those individuals then received XXX rated emails, email from a church that specialized in saving individuals addicted to XXX emails, and a few other choice sites that would be sure to spam the poor person that one editor didn't like. Oops, did I reveal that individual was an editor?

Eowen

Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
Isn't .org still a reserved use domain?

The following is from ICANN's FAQ page (http://http://www.icann.org/faq/)

ICANN said:
What are the rules for registration of .biz, .com, .info, .name, .net, .org, and .pro names?

These un-sponsored top-level domains are open and unrestricted. Traditionally, however, most names are intended or reserved for specific use, as listed below. Please contact your registrar for more information or visit the Registry websites listed below.
Therefore, anyone can register a .org domain under the current rules. A site like Preditors and Editors would be an excellent candidate to have both the .org and .com domains registered (.com because it's the most widely used, .org because of the connotations of non-commercial, not for profit service). That's likely why Larry tried (and succeeded) getting to them first; they're the ones Dave would likely want to use for his site.

ICANN, btw, stands for the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, and they're the people overall in charge of making sure domain names don't get duplicated. More info on their FAQ page, of course.

If you're interested in seeing the information Jaws posted for yourself, I personally prefer using the Whois utility on DomainBank's site: http://www.domainbank.net/whois_gen.cfm (The sad thing is, I use this link so often at work lately, I have it memorized.)
Fill in the blanks, and see what you get back.

Your friendly local techie,
Eowen

travisjohnson

from the travis arny

this will be the only post I will ever make so if you really want the inside scoop on the travis tea army 'please take the time to read this and I will never post agin at least from this e address ! I am sorry to all the folks who worked hard bringing the book "atlanta Nights "together I will no longer and have told all in my growing army not to use travis tea as a tag line be a travis tea or a travis tea is far game2 never sent any book to publishamerica at anytime 3 do not waste your time trying to figure out who i and my growing army are you cannot none of us belong to any pro or anti publishamerica group we tell no one outside of the cell block yes i am in prison a street rep and deep pockets buy you alot on the inside only one person on the out side knows who we are and they are not talking3 our goal is to take away one of publishamerica main tools in coning future writers and the buying public 4 this is carsing mass confussion in the publishamerica camp seen a e mail sent out to all the publishamerica spies and spokes people cults cannot look like they cannot control things 5 sorry about my spelling and grammer only learned to do this a few years ago 6 will not stop until we win 6 you fight your fight i will fight mine just to refect on things you people talk a good game but see little action if you had humped thru nam in the sixties lived thru crazy joe years in the big apple went up aginst big paul and went toe to toe with john c then you would know how to fight 7 i do read many of the titles that i talk about they do send them to me the media company i have friends in publishamerica thinks every book is the next big thing 8 biker preacher gets mad about my amazon posts are they any diffrent then those fake 5 star reveiws that publishamerica puts up my /pi friend sends me much info on the publishamerica spies but that will come out in court someday i think 8 yes jamie farr is not funny9 so you folks just sit here and talk while me my boys and the growing army fight it out 9 lastly please read atlanta nights best book next to mine the story or a real bad goodfella10 thanks for the amazonslammer tag

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Well, Larry Clopper made the statement that he and PublishAmerica are about honesty and integrity. Well, I'm calling them on it at http://www.scifi.com/sfw/current/letters.html . It's time to put up or shut up, Larry.

You go, Dave!

BTW is anyone familiar with Kevin Ahearn (the guy below your letter)? He asks "Therein lies the heart of this hoax. Is there any SF & F being written by anybody worth publishing?" :Wha: He also says "Of this 'group of more than 30 SF and fantasy authors,' one wonders the last time any of them wrote anything that made a dent in the "real" publishing market." Possible suggested smiley for some of the writers --> :box:

Is this the agent Kevin Ahearn, who is with "NY Creative Management"? The guy who wrote an article about is experiences as an agent that was published at Bewildering Stories? http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue89/ahearn_letter.html

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
travisjohnson said:
do not waste your time trying to figure out who i and my growing army are you cannot none of us belong to any pro or anti publishamerica group we tell no one outside of the cell block yes i am in prison a street rep and deep pockets buy you alot on the inside only one person on the out side knows who we are and they are not talking3 our goal is to take away one of publishamerica main tools in coning future writers and the buying public 4 this is carsing mass confussion in the publishamerica camp

Ain't no Internet access in prison, dude, but I am nonetheless ROTFLMAO. :D

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Dave, let's not, I wouldn't want to treat...

...Moe-randa, Larry, and Curlem in an unethical way, after all, professionals like the New Three Stooges deserve to be treated in a manner similiar to the treatment they themselves have rendered to others.

And Renee, you good lookin' thing, re your comment about experienced PA authors luring others into the same bottomless pit and why, I think it boils down to one of these three things:

1. They made a mistake, know it down deep, but can't admit it due to self pride or vanity. If they lure others into the same trap it validates their own decision to go with PA, cause they can rationalize it like this, "Well, if all these other people are doing it, maybe I didn't make such a bad decision after all..."

2. Talent wise, they can never publish anywhere else, so they look to PA as the savior of the publishing industry, their one chance at publishing success, their one chance to prove those nasty, ole, traditional publishers wrong. These people are typically the most ardent PAvidians.

3. Some people are just stupid, if the truth be told. That's not nice to say, but it be real.

And now it's back to column writing....

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
tinasamuels said:
they did indeed ask me to apologize, sherry

Also I guess I will be sending a letter certified to them then asking for release. Sigh. I hate them ,lol

Well, we both know they won't be getting any apology. Idiots. Send the letter. I'm not sure it will do any good, but it's playing by the rules -- which is something PA doesn't do. I know one person who was told by one of the PA twits that any letters received from her would be discarded unread. I hate like hell to see you -- or anyone else, including myself -- stuck with these morons for another 7 years. :mad:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
travisjohnson said:
we tell no one outside of the cell block yes i am in prison
Hey, fake Travis, the Los Angeles Community College system isn't exactly jail (though it's all in the way you look at it, I suppose).

Yes, I can see your ISP.

- Victoria (a REAL Travis)

P.S. I TOLD y'all the fake Travis monitored this board.

Last edited:

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Harrassing e-mails

Sher2 said:
What is wrong with them that they continue reading that drivel and buying the company pap is way beyond me. Duh!

Oh, yeah -- I posted something the other day about a headless snake (referring to PA), so this morning I get an e-mail that says "F*** off." Signed, "Snake." Cute, huh?
:roll:

I hope you forwarded the e-mail to the sender's ISP (usually something like [email protected]). Most ISPs have rules against using the service to harrass others.

Last edited:

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Just an interesting note...

I'm not pointing any fingers, but this is copied from a PA post written several weeks back:

I think what the bobbleheads want is credit for their handiwork. What we need to do is give credit to someone else. As cleaver as that last reveiw is (on my book), it is possible it is written by a ticked off cop instead of a bobblehead. So I choose to give the credit to the cop, which can't be pleasant for the bobblehead.
embarassed.gif
)

Just please don't ask anyone to delete my bad reviews. I intend to get as much milage out of this as I can.

Yours truly, the ever thinking, ever plotting Marti.

The misspelling of "clever" caught my eye....

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of Atlanta Nights, my copy finally showed up in the mail today.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I'd like to buy a clue...

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/7916.htm

I took a look at this "Travis Tea" and the book, "Atlanta Nights," through Google, and it took me to the Lulu.com website. Lulu is a POD that publishes books for free using POD technology, and charges for "special" items, such as cover art, hardcovers, etc. (Please don't mistake this for criticism of Lulu, as I believe if a book is good, it deserves to be published and there happen to be many avenues to that end, running the gamut from whopping-advance publishers to do-it-yourself vanities.)

Back to my research (which only used up about 10 minutes of my valuable time): it seems "Travis Tea" is simply a bunch of Sci-Fi/Fantasy writers who are members of the SFWA (Science Fiction/Fantasy Writers of America) and they were offended when PA "insulted" their craft by saying (and this quote is from their website): "...that SF & F authors are 'writers who erroneously believe that SciFi, because it is set in a distant future, does not require believable storylines, or that Fantasy, because it is set in conditions that have never existed, does not need believable every-day characters.'"

Therefore, these Sci-Fi/Fantasy writers concocted a scheme to "expose" the big, bad PublishAmerica for the...um...what?...publisher-that-is-willing-to-give-a-chance-to-books-that-might-have-been-passed-over-by-other-publishers...that it is. (Shame on you, PA!!)

This brilliant, mind-blowing, daring plot worthy of 007 himself consisted of...hang onto your garters here..."writing" a really bad book (what a feat of ingenuity!). This book, "Atlanta Nights," was sent to PA in the hopes of embarrassing the publisher when it was accepted for publication. (It was accepted, but not published by PA. It was published by Lulu...a POD.)

Nevertheless, the Sci-Fi/Fantasy group calling itself "Travis Tea" are trying to get whatever mileage they can out of this. They are trying to get people to buy their bad book. They are trying to call attention to their "exposé" of the wicked PA. And now, because they apparently have more time than talent, they are trying to embarrass PA by posting stupid, bad reviews of its authors on Amazon.com. This last shows the moral character that they have (or lack), because it is rude and unprofessional to attack a fellow writer. Constructive criticism regarding art is one thing, but these are personal attacks aimed, not at the writer's product, but at the writer's publisher, of all things! I find it hard to believe the SFWA, as a professional organization, continues to allow this to happen in its name.

Another thing: If you look at "Travis Tea"'s other reviews, every last one of them contains a slam against PA and a plea for people to buy this "Atlanta Nights."

So, people, let's not spend any more time on this foolishness. Those Sci-Fi/Fantasy writers can continue to try to drag us down to their level by posting garbage, and we'll just continue to have Amazon take out the trash! Once again: [email protected] (thank you, Pierrette!).

Chins up and pens poised!
:rolleyes:

obviously none of these people read the paper...

wonder how long this'll stay up.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
NancyMehl said:
I'm not pointing any fingers, but this is copied from a PA post written several weeks back:

I think what the bobbleheads want is credit for their handiwork. What we need to do is give credit to someone else. As cleaver as that last reveiw is (on my book), it is possible it is written by a ticked off cop instead of a bobblehead. So I choose to give the credit to the cop, which can't be pleasant for the bobblehead.
embarassed.gif
)

Just please don't ask anyone to delete my bad reviews. I intend to get as much milage out of this as I can.

Yours truly, the ever thinking, ever plotting Marti.

The misspelling of "clever" caught my eye....

Mmm-hmm, I knew I'd seen that eccentric spelling before. The Fearless Bobblehead Hunter. Puh-leeze.:box:

Status
Not open for further replies.