Something from your childhood that you miss

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Something very specific to my home villiage and gone by the end of the 80s, and utterly meaningless to all other posters, but it should be known that I do miss the annual Clog Trip.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
This plaything called a Tumble Tub. It was a large red metal half-sphere with rope handles. Two kids could sit in it and rock it from side to side where you'd almost spill out or one kid would sit in it while the other spun it. And we usually did this on cement (it didn't work as well on grass).

Cuts and bruises? Sure! But it was so much fun.

Thurmadir

Registered
Reaction score
Not viewing the world through cynical eyes. That and playing wiffle ball.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boyhood bounty hunting in Montana.
grasshopper.jpg

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
The bulldogs I had as a kid; Nipper and Torie.

Makeshift Bubbles

ᕕ(ツ)ᕗ
Registered
Reaction score
Going to grandma's house every Sunday after church. After dessert the adults would play a game, usually Scrabble or Rook, and I'd sit on my mother's lap and "help." And if I ever sat with my feet propped up on something, grandpa would never miss an opportunity to tickle my feet.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sunday car rides. The whole family piled in and we drove around the area for about an hour.

We would all occasionally pile in the car and go to a Drive-In Movie...Oh, what fun it was! ;)

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Joy, laughter, the thrill of discovery, innocence, boundless energy, Pizza Day, real video games, optimism, being able to watch a film without wearing the lens of a jaded and cynical realist to whom the magic of cinema is long dead, buying a new toy or video game being a joyous occasion and not just a feeble attempt to ease the pain, metabolism, guilt-free doughnut binges, being part of a special community by being a Star Wars fan instead of just another one of the sheeple buying into the latest trend...

The list goes on and on, really.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I miss when doughnuts were a special weekend treat. Oh, when my Dad would come in with the Sunday papers and a box of doughnuts on top of them :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I miss when doughnuts were a special weekend treat. Oh, when my Dad would come in with the Sunday papers and a box of doughnuts on top of them :)
Forgot about that! Once in awhile, on a Sunday, that's what my dad did. There was a great little bakery near our house and he'd surprise us with a box of doughnuts. Usually their crumb buns.

shyne

At your service
Registered
Reaction score
Big wheels and steep hills

clemency

Registered
Reaction score
Being content to have three biscuits and then put the packet away.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Big wheels and steep hills

Ha! I was just thinking about how the Big Wheel wheel would wear down in the same spot and you'd go "clunk...clunk...clunk..." down the road. Not something I miss, but remember really well.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes. Straw jumps. How Could I forget the straw jumps!

Or

Dragging a sack of coal, that marched my own body weight, across a frosty field. With the cold biting my face and hands, desperately trying to make it back in time for Dr Who. One of my best and worst memories from childhood in one.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Watching the "Peanuts" cartoon specials on TV. Some of 'em had a holiday theme, some didn't. I can't remember very many details about these brilliant little animated films, except that they were on the CBS network at night and that they always gave me a deeply serene sensation.

Tailcoat

Hugger of Kittens
Registered
Reaction score
Saturday morning cartoons, not worrying about wasting time, Nickelodeon and Sonic the Hedgehog being cool, and Santa Claus. I wish I had gotten into genealogy while my great-grandparents were still alive. However, I can go to bed whenever I want now!

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Ebinger's chocolate hard icing cake with a glass of ice cold milk.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
The Friday night TV lineup on ABC: "The Brady Bunch", "The Partridge Family", "Room 222", "The Odd Couple", and "Love American Style". I was never a big fan of the Bradys but I loved the Partridges and the Room 222 bunch. Oscar and Felix were OK, too.

I wasn't allowed to watch "Love American Style" because one of our neighbors told my mom that it was "X-Rated". :ROFL: