The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back. The lady who drew my blood this time was ever so nice. It's always good to get a person who is happy with their job. *nods head*

Lily- next year- you need to be an experimental mouse for Halloween. :)

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Vandal}}} Out of curiosity, is your agent saying "no" to projects more often than "yes"? If so, there might be an issue of compatibility w/ your agent as much as an issue with the "quietness" or your stories. Or maybe not. Just a possibility :) I hate to see you getting discouraged from writing what you want to write.

All my middle grade projects have been accepted (awaiting word about one this week), so no issue there.

The adult thriller is the only non-MG I've written, so it's the odd one out. Strangely, I was offered a contract for it by three small pubs but had to turn them all down when I got my first agent (two of those pubs are no longer in the biz--I'm the pub killa!). I know it's publishable, but at what level remains to be seen.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, everyone. I'll stick with MG story lines and I'll be a-okay.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
morn' purgies. woke up with a headache and swollen eyes from too many tears. was doing fine until i looked out and saw the father sitting on his stoop with his 4 yr.old waiting for the pre-k bus. a bit of a shock. that was always the mama's spot. =( will try to organize helping hands in our hood ...

on the bright side, i have 2 knee high blue spruces that i shouldn't be planting so late in the year. but planting always makes me feel good, a nod to life, and will also be a bird salute to old man winter.

=)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Morning purgs! I am NaNofailing miserably, and we have 4 inches of snow being flattened out by freezing rain. But all is well, because the fuel company called, and they will give me a fully heated house a week from now. :p

*sigh*

Doc visit was interesting this morning: apparently I'm still not eating enough. By something like 350 calories/day. If only these calories could be halloween candy leftovers I could solve that easily, but nooo. They have to be high-protein-low-fat-very-low-carb calories.

I'm going to end up eating egg whites and tofu with every meal at this rate. :rolleyes:

I mean, he's the eldest brother, right? So he's been in Kronos' belly the longest. When he finally gets free, Zeus has already licked the mortal plane like a big biscuit, and Poseidon dives into the sea, which he knows is the largest kingdom that isn't, you know, the underworld. So that leaves the biggest fricking can of worms in the universe for him to govern, and someone has to do it.

Maybe he hoped that since it was technically full of people, being the king of the underworld wouldn't suck so much, maybe he knew. In Tartarus, he has to punish the wicked, so basically it's a bunch of whining and world-class woe. The shades in the Elysian Fields have no memory, so I can't think holding a conversation with a bubble-headed, perpetually blissed-out bunny is going to be any kind of stimulating. And can you imagine the regular shades? All they have to talk about is the living, and their own spent lives--it'd be like listening to a balding, fat, former HS football hero who never gave up his letter jacket, 24-7. He goes from one bleak, isolated belly to another.

He and his brothers are gods, so culturally, this whole rapine thing is kinda their bag. But who the hell is going to go for the king of the dead, no matter what guise he wears? Zeus is bouncing around as swans and showers of gold, dropping demi-god offspring left and right in front of Hera's nose. Poseidon's off making horses and giants, surrounded by nymphs and fucking with sailors for laughs.

What does Hades want? One girl in all the universe. One beautiful, warm, living thing. And he still doesn't get to have all of her, because he gets the one MIL in all the universe who can strip the earth of life completely.

Dude.

This is such fablulousness.

{{{LW}}}

{{{Kimmi}}}

{{Snappy}}

{{Vandal}}

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - they needed to order a new regulator for my dead zone. And the rest if my fault, really: I have heat in some rooms and I mostly still have domestic hot water, so I'm not pushing very hard. I know they're crazed this time of year, and most of the people who need service need it for things far more urgent.

I'm just avoiding spending much time on the eastern side of my house, for the nonce. :p

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm such a pantywaist--while I was pretty good about 11 days without power, having another week with power which didn't include heat would have made me pretty testy.

Go West, young woman!

Maryn, who should have left ten minutes ago

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Doc visit was interesting this morning: apparently I'm still not eating enough. By something like 350 calories/day. If only these calories could be halloween candy leftovers I could solve that easily, but nooo. They have to be high-protein-low-fat-very-low-carb calories.

I'm going to end up eating egg whites and tofu with every meal at this rate. :rolleyes:

Sounds like my diet, but add in no sugar or anything that turns to sugar. 5 meals a day, about every 3 hours. I'd cheerfully kill for candy. Even the sugar-free has too many carbs in it. Low carb ice cream isn't hideous.

I've settled into a routine on what I can and cannot have and I finally have enough variety that is doable, in spite of being boring. It's bad though, when I consider mashed potatoes and gravy a treat. I haven't had that but a couple times in 5 months, but I'm soooo going to cheat at Thanksgiving!!!

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Mnnnn, potatoes. I've about forgotten what they taste like. But I figured out the perfect mashed cauliflower recipe, and it's surprisingly close to mashed potatoes.

Go West, young woman!

Maryn, who should have left ten minutes ago

I would happily ride off toward the sunset at the moment, I'll admit. :) Snow is fine with me, but ugh, I hate "wintry mix". It's like the world's ugliest slushie spilled all over everything.

Lord, I have so much catching up to do on NaNo. But I must see Skyfall.

~*swoon*~

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
Sunna, you are a very good sport. I'm a wuss about being cold.

Today people, I swear it -- I'm throwing out the mini-snickers bag left over from Halloween. After I eat one or two more...

Off to NaNo a bit.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Snappy, I don't know what's going on, but for you to be saying something here, it's got to be tough. Sending cyberhugs.

(((Kimmi))) ((LWalker))) (((Maryn)))

Elisabetta, lovely cover.

Clovia, that lifestyle doc I often talk about has talked about using sleep cycles to treat depression. I get euphoric and nearly hypomanic if I miss a night of sleep. Unfortunately, I pay for it with fatigue for days after, but at the time, it can feel wonderful.

sunna, yikes! I'm glad you have some heat. I want to see Skyfall, too. Haven't wanted to see a movie this bad in years. Did you know DC found the director and talked B@rdem into being the villain.

Morning began with a gallon-sized pickle jar spilling in the fridge. Not sure why Mr. Haupe thought it would be appropriate to eat from it, then set it on its side. Nevertheless, soup! And a thorough fridge cleaning, which was necessary.

Now to write.

ETA: phoenix, my teenagers consumed the leftover candy last week, and since neither of them went out trick or treating, I managed not to put on 2 pounds this Halloween. I have zero discipline with junk food when I'm stressed. Can't have it in the house.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I've been really sick all week and now that I'm starting to recover, I'm absolutely craving calories. I know exactly where to find a chocolate tart and double cream. Sigh. Resist.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
We miss you too! *clings* Never leave us!!

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another beautiful cover, Elisabetta!

Blond, I thought you would have more time as a part-timer. Seems you have less. Such a busy lady and you are missed. Be sure to check your email. :)

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Power went out again last night in the nor'easter. Looks like I'm back up now. For now? IDK. This is crazy. So much more snow than I expected. Weird.

Okay, off to catch up on the interwebz.:D Hope all purgies are doing well!

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
I wish I was writing.

Hoping I can figure out some sort of schedule soon. Boss has realized within a week that she can't handle running the company by herself with me part time. But I'm not willing to put in more hours after the first couple of weeks. No idea what's going to happen.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Haupe and purgies! I'm okay. And a lot of people around me in NY/NJ have it much worse. So I really shouldn't complain. Just tired of nonsense, you know? But anyway...

Is it SnogFest time yet???? :D

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clovia, that lifestyle doc I often talk about has talked about using sleep cycles to treat depression. I get euphoric and nearly hypomanic if I miss a night of sleep. Unfortunately, I pay for it with fatigue for days after, but at the time, it can feel wonderful.

Interesting reading regarding that, Haupe. I've been a night-owl with poor sleep quality all my life. It's wearing on me a bit more the last couple of years, but I just figured that was part and parcel of getting older.

I wouldn't call it euphoria--I was just bored and dicking around earlier--but my head is a lot clearer and I'm more focused if I just don't sleep at all. It's nice feeling more than just functional sometimes, even if I have to pay for it.

I've mentioned crappy sleep to my doc several times, but other than suggesting melatonin, it seems we're pretty much relying on the antidepressants to perk me up. (Yes, and diet and exercise.) They are taking their sweet time, if they have any plans to make with the perky. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.