Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And now I'm south of you, in St. Augustine, of St. Augustine Grass fame. We had it in Texas, and it got St. Augustine's Decline, a disease unique to this kind of lawn. It dies in rings.

Our hotel room was not ready when we got here, even though check-in wasn't until four. But we had a chatty maid share that two girls had quit in the last week, one of them no loss, and that the hotel just doesn't pay enough to get good people who'll stay a while.

Anybody need a job?

Maryn, knowing hotel maids work hard

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They forecast we'd have 2-4inches of snow today, so far just rain. There is snow north but so far just rain here. They shut down the city and itis just rain which makes me worry they won't be cautious next time and we will have snow.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
About all you can do about that is be ready to shelter in place. Do you carry a "go bag" in your car? I used to. IIRC, it held:
  • toothbrush in a sandwich bag and a sample toothpaste from the dentist
  • hairbrush and hair rubber band
  • sweatpants, or maybe it was old yoga pants; something super comfortable and minimally presentable, in which I could sleep
  • sweatshirt with a front zip, because if the power goes off where I am, it'll get cold
  • oversize T-shirt to wear with those gorgeous sweatpants
  • tiny bright flashlight and extra batteries
  • paperback
Nowadays, I'd probably add a battery-driven cell phone charger, a pint of whiskey, a book light, possibly a blanket and pillow or sleeping bag, and an old towel, washcloth, and hotel soap, because I hate feeling dirty. Plus a plastic grocery bag to hold them once they're wet.

As I recall, it was fairly easy to set aside stuff I wasn't likely to want in my day-to-day life, until one day I realized I had everything necessary. It lived in my car for years.

Maryn, who made bags for her babies and later her kids, too

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need to do that. I think of you when I think of doing it, too. :)

We finally got snow after dark. Really we could have gone to work and probably left around 330 or so but who am I to complain? I did get our taxes done.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, a day off, snow that waited, and you got your taxes done? That's a winner of a day.

We went walking despite the threat of rain, stopped to buy groceries for lunch, got cleaned up, went to a laundromat for the first time in years while it rained, then did a proper grocery run for dinner and tomorrow's breakfast and lunch, plus some fruit and yogurt and healthy stuff. What a vacation, huh?

The hotel has free breakfast, but it's mostly unhealthy stuff, so crowded you can't always find a place to sit, and very poorly served, so you wait like a half hour for coffee or spoons. Screw that. We'll make coffee and have cereal in here.

Maryn, who also bought wine

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Back to a laundromat after some decades, eh? Can you remember how few quarters it took, the last time?
I went back to the map store in Seattle to pick up a 1903 map of Olympia I ordered, adding to my quirky collection of antique state capital city map reprods. Started with a 1722 map of Boston, which I picked up back when I lived there and wash was 50 cents, a dime bought ten minutes in the dryer.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what laundromats elsewhere charge, but this was $2.25 for a top-loading home-style washer and 25 cents for 5 minutes of drying. If memory serves, I think I used to pay 50 cents to wash. I'd brought quarters, but we still had to change some singles to get done.

Unlike "normal" laundromats, this was mostly snowbirds and a few Hispanic people who tried very hard to be invisible but failed when the snowbirds insisted on being friendly and helping them fold large items.

I grew up in southern Arizona, but I have never seen so many people with serious sun damage to their skin. There are many, many people darker than my brown sandals. Maybe living much of my adulthood where there's cloud cover is not such a bad thing...

Maryn, who has seen very little sunshine here

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
On the 20th, I sent a sheaf of invoices to Problem Client for the first time since my girlfriend, who had been on staff, gave notice. The invoices covered eight months of unpaid work; they hadn't paid me at all since December. The 20th was also when I did what I expected to be my final bit of work for them. The intention was to give them until the end of the 23rd, and then file a lawsuit on the 24th.

Because of various things cropping up, I ended up postponing filing until the 26th, except that on the 25th, they paid me. Not all of it; not even close to all of it. But one reason I was suing when I did, besides the fact that they had no real avenues of retaliation anymore, was that they were near the cap for small-claims court, and after the payment there was more room there.

So I spent a couple of days trying to decide whether to resume working for them. When I made my plans, I was going to sue if they didn't pay anything, but go back to work if they did, until the amount in arrears once again got close to the small-claims cap.

But when I actually stopped doing the work, it felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I've gotten more work done on my own writing in the last week than I have in the previous two months.

Now, I have an Oblique Strategies app on my phone. So I was thinking about whether to go back to them, and I fired up the app, and drew a virtual card.

I got "simply subtract." So, decision made.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like the right call.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My friend who only heats one room of her house, has no internet or cable TV, and allows herself no more than two phone calls a day is more up to date on TV series than I, courtesy of the library's video collection. She's seen Orphan Black, Game of Thrones, Treme, etc.

Ok, I'm curious about this. Hope I'm not being too nosy ... why does she live this way? Not that it's wrong, just quite different from my assumption of what most people in the US live like. Does she read a lot? Or listen to the radio instead of watching tv? Does she live by herself?

Ok, I think I've crossed the line from "different" into "nosy." My natural curiosity can be too much sometimes.

It is 60 out here on Puget Sound and daffadils are coming up early! Too early.

I'm down the coast from you, across the state line, and we've been having the heat wave too. Until a few days ago, then it became cooler. Trees were blooming earlier than usual. Of course I had to snap a photo of a pink tree and post it to FB, just to make all my snowbound friends envious.

Stepdaughter got accepted to every college she applied to (except one of her safeties, which she hasn't heard from yet, but she got her top choice so who cares)

Wow, congratulations! :snoopy:

Moi, I'm going to a map store in Seattle today. Another passion is old maps. Google can't do the kind of cartography that tells stories.

Oh yeah. They're gorgeous. "Here be dragons." Except - that's not actually on any known map. Only on one known globe, apparently. http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/12/no-old-maps-actually-say-here-be-dragons/282267/ Spoils the romanticism of old maps a bit, but just a bit.

Almost close enough to see me! :)

I've only been in Alabama once, and that was far northeast corner, Collinsville. Drove there to see my granddaughter on her first birthday. We were visiting my brother in Atlanta at the time. Granddaughter's mom was in Iraq, or maybe Afghanistan, at the time.

What part of Alabama are you in?

~~~
I've been keeping my head down for the past few weeks. Trying to get through school and job and foot pain and all that. Foot pain pretty much gone, but last week developed a different problem area that's lingering. I swear this getting old isn't that great.

I'm taking today off work due to this issue and tomorrow too. Friday was the worst day, and my doctor said if things progress normally, I'll be better in a couple of days. Hope so! I don't like being out of sorts. I've got enough of the daily stress without adding illness.

Mostly sunny and 54 degrees here right now. Looks like another unseasonably warm week ahead. I think we're about 2 weeks ahead of our usual spring schedule, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy to talk about my friend, since she will never have the internet time to visit AW, even though she could greatly benefit. The library only gives users an hour, even if no one is waiting, and she can't go to a WiFi hotspot because she'd have to buy a cup of coffee or something.

She came to my city after a divorce something like 30 years ago. She worked for non-profits at low pay and rented two rooms and a bath plus kitchen privileges from an empty nester. Her life seemed okay, although there was no money to spare. Then the economy tightened the noose on non-profits and she drifted from job to job, not really qualified to do much, with skills which barely included computers at all. Her landlord wanted the room back, so she moved to a crappy duplex where the bedroom carpet was laid directly on dirt. (Zoning code violation, big-time.) She worked retail and got fired because she didn't like having to thank customers as she put their bag in their hands. (!) She moved to her present two-bedroom duplex, with little insulation and few windows which even open, although she couldn't really afford it. I guess she couldn't find anything better, because she's stayed through three or four landlords now. She worked under the table for a nasty, nasty man who didn't pay unemployment or taxes. She was a home aide for elderly people, some of them nice and some of them just awful, and didn't see a doctor or dentist for years. It was during this time that she started heating only her bedroom, spending as much time away from home as she could for free. Two years ago she filed for bankruptcy and it's unlikely she'd survive a credit check if she wanted a new place.

She's watching my house while I'm away, and I've all but begged her to just move there, pets and all, and live in the heat, enjoy the WiFi and cable TV, eat what she can find (and she could do pretty well), but I don't think she is.

Man, why can't I run other people's lives? I'd have made her be a better retail employee, like it or hate it, and by now she'd be a department manager pulling down a wage which lets her live like most of us.

Maryn, who went to the beach today

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what a long day in the car. It was 84 when we left, and 39 when we got here in North Carolina. Man, that big storm is a nasty one. I felt bad for Mr. Maryn, driving in the driving rain.

We're prepared to leave late if there's black ice, or even lay over a day if it's really bad. No point in taking needless risk if the driving conditions are bad.

I did more than my share of gloating over those poor people stuck on the highway in Kentucky with no supplies. We carry food, heat source, blankets, snow shovel, water, flashlights, even some old paperbacks. We'd have been fine if it happened to us, although I imagine we'd start sharing with those nearby.

The oranges around here are amazing.

Maryn, in from 36 and raining

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
The trunk of your car sounds pretty good, M. May I add what a prudent driver in Montana in the winter would add? Jumper cables, extension cord (because your car has a plug-in engine heater but your house or every motel will be a few feet from where you park the car), a bag of kitty litter or sand for the icy spots, a decent length of very sturdy rope or chain, and a thermal blanket or sleeping bag, Tho I'm on the balmy coast now, I still have the jumper cables and have had to use them a few times for stranded neighbors. Oh, chains, almost forgot to mention them.
I just reconnected with an old friend to reminisce about her wedding in Miles City at the end of December many years ago (Carter was pres.) It got to -40 (same temp F or C) by mid-morning. Even plugged-in cars wouldn't start.
"It is a nipping and an eager air."

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I should add that stuff, especially the jumper cables and chain.

I'm stuck in a North Carolina hotel until black ice melts off the highway later this morning. The joys of winter travel, huh?

Maryn, bored

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
we got half a day home yesterday due to sleet/ice. I watchedFerris Bueller's Day Off and Princess Bride and did a little crafting while hubby read his kindle. The dog's didn't much care for the sleet. But once it stopped they liked running around in the afternoon.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love Princess Bride! Now I'm jealous.

We were enjoying a Harlan Coben audio book, but it started stuttering then had a read failure. Grumble grumble.

Maryn

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, a busy afternoon. I started home brewing a Pale Ale recipe at noon, had a ticket for the opera at 3. With ice cubes, I got the wort cooled down to 72, cool enough to pitch the yeast and cap it, by 2:30. Lucky the opera, Rossini's take on Cinderella, was less than 2 miles away.
Per the program notes, there are many versions of the Cinderella story going back to the 7th century BC (Rhodopis. The French version Cendrillon dates to 1697 and introduced the glass slipper and pumpkin ideas. Rossini's version has a mean stepfather and a court magician, both baritones; the latter produces a glitter-sprayed dress sandal for the foot of the mezzo-soprano in the title role. She's a tall woman from Iowa with long feet--from the balcony looked to be size 9 or 10. Unlike Disney's tiny glass slipper that the stepsisters had no prayer of wedging their feet into.
It all comes down to comfortable shoes, right, ladies?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wore heels to the theatre last night. That and restaurants is about the only time I can. Heels seem worse and worse the older I get.

We saw a new play, a farce, which was pretty good. It's about three divorced 40-something women, one of whom is dating a dentist who may--or may not--have murdered his pretty hygienist. Like all farce, the plot depended upon a silly assumption, the women presuming his guilt, but it mostly worked. Some of the comedy was too broad for my taste, but the audience lapped it up.

During our long drive home, we stopped for lunch at a place with WiFi so we could buy an ebook of the Harlan Coben which stuttered. When the audio book got hung up, I'd read a chapter or two aloud, then we'd try the CD at the new place. It was awkward, but we found having the book really made a difference in highway hypnosis and feeling wakeful, and at least we knew what was going on.

Maryn, who has much laundry to catch up on

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
that was good idea Maryn. Hubby and I used to listen to audio books together, we haven't done that in a while. I'll bring it up to him. We ride together to work.

the doctor gave me these capsaicin patches for pain and so far they are helping. I was able to get through the weekend with less pain and more energy and I finished two scarves that have been languishing in my room for a few years and worked on my mom's blanket, plus we got out and enjoyed the 1 day of sunshine with our dogs on Saturday. the patches aren't a cure all and I think I over did things a bit because I hurt bad yesterday morning but I feel encouraged. Plus they leave a residue like bandaids do but it has capsaicin in it so it's itchy. I'll take it over debilitating pain though.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, itching is maddening but it beats the holy hell out of debilitating pain.

We've cleared our driveway and front walk as much as we can, which in places is down to packed ice. It's an adventure going out for the paper! It amuses me that the front walk is ice in the shape of what's gone there for two weeks or more: lots of deer, a cat, a lug-sole boot, a flat heel, and birds. You'd think they'd fly rather than walk on snow, huh? Silly birds.

We have several days above freezing coming up, so this will all disappear.

Last night we realized that it's time to have as many fires as we want, because it's good to use up the supply of firewood rather than letting already-aged wood sit out all summer long. Apparently that's when termites set up shop there, and it's way too close to the house for that to be a good idea. The carpenter bees are bad enough!

Maryn, making smalltalk

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have a fire place but we've never used it. The wood shelter the previous home owner built over a wood pile (which I think was a tree from the front yard) has rotted away and now the wood is too. I'm afraid to use it now without having a chimney sweep just because you never know what could be up there.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, definitely get a chimney cleaning and inspection before you use it. Our first house here, birds had nested in the chimney, and when we had it cleaned, all these old nests and dead birds fell down into the wood stove. The cleaning guy was cool, asked for a double paper grocery bag so he could get the dead things out without our young kids seeing them.

After the cleaning, we didn't use it much, and every so often a bird would fly down the chimney and get stuck in the cold wood stove, cheeping and shrilling in there. Lots of fun dealing with that!

Maryn, who doesn't miss the old house one bit

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Currently the mantle is about all we use, putting little gifts and mementos and cards on it, plus my uncles flag - since he left me his estate allowing us to buy a house - and some framed photos. We put stuffed things there because the dogs can't reach. in front of it are two dog crates. so I'm don't think we'll be using it soon. It's too warm here.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You may end up using it like we did the woodstove at the old house--only during a cold-weather power failure. We were sure glad we had it then. The rest of the time, not worth the trouble.

Maryn, who should have brought in firewood but didn't

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Happy national Pi day, everyone (pi=3.14.15). I wasn't up to baking one just for me, but the local grocery had options ranging from whole pies to single slices, and I got one of the latter. Apple (gravensteins? what are your fave baking apples, tubbers?)

Status
Not open for further replies.