OK Hoarders, Fess Up

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Empty wine bottles. I visited friends in Chicago Heights, Illinois a couple of summers ago--my old college roomie, her mom and sisters. They sit out by their garden on summer nights, drink wine, tell stories and smell the flowers. When they finish a bottle of wine they push the empty into the ground around the border of their many flower beds. It seemed like such a fun, quirky border that I tried to do it here in Kansas. Unfortunately the ground is a hard and unforgiving as the rest of this state. I might wedge one or two in, after a big rain, but, as you know it almost never rains here. The bottles do pile up. I keep them in boxes. Largish boxes.

At first they were on the deck but after the third box I started stashing them under the porch. There are quite a few now, waiting for the rains. I can't take them all out at once. Not in a small town like this. So I pop a few in at a time. It probably looks like I might have a problem to the termite inspection guys and the meter reader--s6

A person at the craft show here sells wine bottles they collapse - I presume melt-level heat just makes it collapse maybe - as cheese plates. Maybe you could make those if you, er, know someone who blows glass? Or you could stick candles and make old-school drip-over candle holders.

Oh, look, you just need access to a kiln.

My grandfather once came upon a store closing and offering stuff at some crazy discount. He brought home a box nearly his height, filled with toilet paper. I think it was from before I was born, but it was there into like, my high school years.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Toilet paper. You know that saying about never being too rich or too thin? My corollary is that you can't have too much toilet paper in the closet.

I also stockpile coffee beans. As long as I have TP and coffee, all is right in my world.

And I have the corks to go with Shakey's wine bottles.

MM

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I am an anti-hoader. I have ridded our home of SO MANY things I shouldn't have.

I do have a thing for shoes, however THAT, as Lavern knows, could never be considered hoarding. I need every. single. pair.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to feel so secure and cozy when I had stockpiles of extra food, toiletries, and everything else, too. But now, I really can't stand extra stuff and it makes me feel bogged down. I cleared it all out. I guess there's an emotional component to that but I don't have a clue what it is.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I don't know. I have a friend-- an old college friend, that I would call an anti-hoarder. She and her husband split up after almost thirty years of marriage. It was one of those perfect marriages that blew apart in about 6 weeks. She moved into a smaller home, asked for and received all of the furniture and then broke it up with a crowbar and a sledge hammer. The one china cabinet that she kept, she painted white.

I haven't seen her in ten years but staying with her was surreal. She only had one living room chair--white. No coffee table, no sofa. She carried the chair upstairs in the summer, downstairs in the winter. The dining room was completely empty. There was one very small kitchen table and one kitchen chair.

We ate outside, where there was one lawn chair. We took the kitchen chair out, onto the deck and then carried it back in. When she went to work I sat outside on the deck, writing and watching the birds. It was in Carpentersville, Illinois, so it wasn't as hot or dusty as Kansas. She did have a great garden--mostly white flowers and silver leaves. She couldn't stand anything variegated.

She did buy a tea mug and plate for me from a second hand store. White. Other than that there was only one bowl, one plate, one glass, one mug in the cabinet. She told me she'd decided to simplify her life. She had even completely cut off one of her three kids and pretty much alienated another.

Her father and two brothers had remodeled her basement into an office that winter. Curious, I asked her how she fed them. When my brother comes to my house to do anything for me, I cook for him or treat him to a cafe meal, have his favorite pastry and beer. (Yeah--bear claws and beer do not make for a slim physique but that is another story.)

She seemed puzzled by the question. She said they brought their own coffee and cups in a thermos, packed a lunch.

Why don't I write a story about her? She's a little spooky and I know she would over react--s6

Last edited:

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
Having to move to another country at rather short notice and cram my life in two luggages and two parcels has really solved my hoarding problem. The only thing I have in massive quantities now are my eyeshadows (300-400 of them, without counting sample bags) and books (but those don't take much room as I've gone mainly digital).

I've fortunately stopped buying new eyeshadows... can't say the same for books!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Ooo! Ooo! I've got one (thanks to The Curious One): lipstick! I can't walk into a drugstore or Walmart or Kmart without visiting the make-up area. And of course all those shades and types of lipsticks to choose from. So I buy one or two each time. My makeup drawer, bathroom cabinet, purse, are loaded with various lipsticks. Yet I hardly wear lipstick. I prefer lip balm (of which I only own about three). Go figure.

AngelaG

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up around hoarders before that term was created. I'm just the opposite . . . I'm a minimalist. I can't stand clutter. I get rid of what I don't need.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up around hoarders before that term was created. I'm just the opposite . . . I'm a minimalist. I can't stand clutter. I get rid of what I don't need.

Hooray for minimalism!

I'm heading in that direction myself. And yeah - my family tends to hoard things. Perhaps not as bad as a diagnosable hoarder, but still very cluttered. I guess we both got sick of it, huh?

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
Ooo! Ooo! I've got one (thanks to The Curious One): lipstick! I can't walk into a drugstore or Walmart or Kmart without visiting the make-up area. And of course all those shades and types of lipsticks to choose from. So I buy one or two each time. My makeup drawer, bathroom cabinet, purse, are loaded with various lipsticks. Yet I hardly wear lipstick. I prefer lip balm (of which I only own about three). Go figure.

My makeup purchasing was pretty much under control, after drugstores in the UK kept recycling the same shades in new packaging (Rimmel did that three or four times during the period I was living there - same shades, just different looking packaging and new range names - BORING!) - seems there's much more variety in the US from what blogs say - and then I discovered indie makeup. Zillions of beautiful colours available, ability to "sample" colours (I'm yet to finish a sample baggie as they last quite a few applications), and low prices. Thankfully (although I was really angry at the time) a combination of increased postage prices (I used to purchase from the US) and lower threshold for customs tax for import meant it wasn't really worth placing orders anymore because for a 25-dollar order I'd have to pay Royal Mail 8 pounds for the privilege of them passing my order through customs. Wasn't worth the cost anymore. And now that I live in Italy, there is a ban on cosmetic imports anyway, so I don't dare making a purchase only for the Italian authorities to seize and destroy my order. Thankfully there's still my mum in France, but it's not really worth the hassle (or the wait) until I go there for some holidays!

Here in Italy it's the same brands as in the UK, like L'Oreal, Maybelline and some local ones, but they're not that interesting. There's just KIKO, and while I go there every single time I go to the shopping centre, more often than not I come out empty-handed. Definitely helping!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...I do have a thing for shoes, however THAT, as Lavern knows, could never be considered hoarding. I need every. single. pair.

Indeed my friend, Indeed. ;)

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Not to be a negative nelly, but I'm not sure what's been said so far would be classified as hoarding? Most of it is either stockpiling or collecting (old collections). I mean hoarding, my mother has unpairable pieces of tupperware (I tried throwing away bits one day that was only a lid or only a container and she went in the trash and grabbed them out.... they have no matches, woman!!) or when I was recently looking through stuff as I'm packing up my room at my parents house, and there's random Pokemon stickers and notes from high school...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Hoarder? What's that? I'm a collector.

I have a Silver Age comic book collection. I have a vinyl album collection. I have a collection of fountain pens. I have a collection of beer steins. I have a collection of swords (mostly cheap wall hangers). I have a collection of Fantasy and Science Fiction magazine, along with some other digest-sized ones like Galaxy, and Worlds of If. A DVD collection of TV shows I enjoyed as a kid. And five pets.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread's title didn't mention Hoarders when I posted. I don't appreciate being associated with that. Not everyone who has collections is a hoarder. YOu can move freely in my home. I just mentioned I had some recycling to get out of my basement, but even there it isn't to hoarding level. Think before you change titles of thing.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I just found my 35-year-old Poloroid SX70 Land camera this morning. I'm going to clean it up and make a display with my other old cameras.

My MIL keeps dropping not very subtle hints that we should watch "Hoarders." That's because she's a white-gloved, OCD clean freak and because we don't vacuum every day, or sometimes have dishes in the sink, that somehow that makes us hoarders. We have seen the show and our house is nothing like that. We don't have walls of garbage, we don't trip over trash. Cleaning isn't a 24/7 priority like it is with her and we do collect the things, but if we invited people over, it wouldn't take long to get the house "party-ready" and we aren't embarrassed if unexpected company comes over.

Not hoarders, and I doubt anyone else is this thread is either.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kay and I hoard VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray feature films and series with closed captions and subtitles. Mostly mysteries, we have over 1,800 vintage to new movies and 5,500 TV programs. :D

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To me, it's been clear here that we're using the term "hoarding" playfully/informally and not talking about a clinical disorder, for the most part. But then of course there's always that fine line... Here's something about the five levels of hoarding/not hoarding:

http://hoarding.iocdf.org/tests.aspx

ETA: Since it includes "no hoarding," it would be interesting if it showed the other side of the spectrum through obsession with order and cleanliness as well.

Last edited:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Fruitbat. I admit to not being around much but I saw the thread title in my usercp and was taken aback since I know I didn't post in a thread called that. I appreciate you clearing that up. (ha -almost a pun) I do have a few stacks of mail that need clearing out and my clothes are a mess. I hate folding laundry.