Do you consider this rude?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
On the Etiquette Hell website, which I browse occasionally, someone mentioned going to a birthday party hosted by the person whose birthday it was.

Apparently it's a huge no-no to host your own birthday party, something I'd never heard of before. But what really took me aback was the condemnation - "self-absorbed", "unrealistic", "narcissistic" and "entitled" were just a few of the words used.

I've hosted my own parties and never thought twice about it. In fact, I prefer to do that because I can invite whom I like, cook the food I like and so on.

The suggested alternative in the discussion was to host someone else's party, maybe so they would do the same for you when it was your birthday. But if I decided to host a party for, say, one of my friends who's got about fifteen other friends, they couldn't all fit into my tiny apartment. And none of my friends seemed to have a problem with my hosting my party, which was why it surprised me to see how strongly people felt about this.

So what do you guys think? Is it self-centered to throw your own birthday party (assuming this isn't pot luck or gifts-mandatory)?

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
It's a tad narcissistic--though if you want a party, and don't think you'll get one any other way then, go for it. Though, that would be a bit of a bummer if no one showed up.

But why wait for your birthday, do you need a reason to throw a party...? How 'bout hey it's Thursday!

ctina

Registered
Reaction score
So you only get parties if other people throw them for you? What if your friends are busy or disorganized? Or they don't all know each other?

I've definitely been to parties people have thrown for their own birthdays. But even though it's their birthday, the party is more about getting all their friends together to have fun. The host usually does all the work, getting food ready, etc. The guests just show up. And we've reached the age where you bring booze/food instead of gifts--which you usually do anyway going to a party.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, I don't think so, if it's like: I'd love to spend time with all of you on my birthday, so let me cook for you and we'll all have cake!

If you're throwing a party for your guests to enjoy everyone's company together, they'll know it, I hope :) If that's not the main reason, they'll probably know that, too ;)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
But why wait for your birthday, do you need a reason to throw a party...? How 'bout hey it's Thursday!

We were all busy college students at the time, so I thought if I said, "Come to my place for an afternoon tea because it's Thursday", it wouldn't be taken as seriously as "Come to my place because it's my birthday."

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
So you only get parties if other people throw them for you?

The impression I got from the discussion was that people shouldn't give themselves a party where they were the "guest of honor".

I didn't see myself as a guest of honor at my party, though. I saw myself as the host. I loved showing my friends my apartment (small though it is), laying the table with my best china, preparing the food, and so on. I was delighted to receive presents, but I sure as hell didn't request them, and if my friends hadn't known what to get me, I wouldn't have cared. We were there to enjoy ourselves.

What if your friends are busy or disorganized? Or they don't all know each other?
That's the part I wonder about. If I decided to host a party for my friend K, I'd have to ask her for a list of people she wants there, and what kind of food to serve.

In the discussion, another person suggested that if your friends were busy (or unaware that they should throw your party), then you could throw your own party, but it shouldn't be on the date of your birthday or referred to as your birthday party.

Which sounded silly to me. You're still throwing a party, you're just calling it a not-birthday party to placate the wrath of some strangers on the Internet.

I've definitely been to parties people have thrown for their own birthdays. But even though it's their birthday, the party is more about getting all their friends together to have fun.
That's exactly how I think of it too. "Let's get together, have some drinks and sing along to Bohemian Rhapsody!" Not "Wow, this person is on a giant ego trip!"

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I don't think it's in the least narcissistic or rude to throw your own birthday party in which you provide the food and drinks for your friends. Actually, I think that's rather nice (as long as you aren't trolling for gifts, in which case, yeah, it's rude).

Nor, for that matter, do I think it's rude to host a pot luck with close friends where you provide something substantial and they all bring something to eat as well. (Ditto on the gift thing.) I'd keep this one to very close friends, though.

And if you can afford it, I don't think it's rude to throw your own birthday party at a restaurant and treat everyone. (Ditto on the gift thing.)

Here's what I do think is narcissistic: throwing your own birthday party at a restaurant and expecting your friends to take you out. Way too many people do this nowadays.

Sorry, your friends have to initiate something like that. Moreover, even if you plan to pay for yourself, no fair getting huffy if you pick an expensive place, and some of your friends decline because they can't afford it. (I know someone who routinely picks places where the tab invariably runs past a hundred dollars a person, despite the fact that a couple of her friends make very little money. I stopped going to her "parties" long ago just because they pissed me off.)

And absolutely, if you throw your own birthday bash, wherever you do it -- you do not expect gifts. Period. You are an adult, not an 8-year-old. Make it clear you just want the joy of their company, and you are celebrating their friendship.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Apparently it's a huge no-no to host your own birthday party,

Lol whut?

Everyone I know organises their own shindig in whatever way they want

If anyone said anything else, I'd be totally non-plussed

Wouldn't it be narcissistic to expect others to do it for you?

Consider me boggled

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I am wondering if they what they meant was the type that piss me off -- the birthday person picks a restaurant, and demands her friends take her out for dinner there. Yeah, I hate those. But I don't see how it's ever rude to cook for your friends and ask for the pleasure of hosting them.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It could go either way.

Nothing rude or narcissistic about hosting a birthday party for yourself.

But expecting people to bring you gifts or pay for your dinner, yeah, no, don't do that.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, agree, that if you do throw a party for your own birthday, the tab should be on you, and that includes telling them not to bring gifts. 'Course, I don't know how you actually prevent them from doing so. And anyway, these people are supposed to be your friends, right? So any excuse to get together and party should be okay.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I am wondering if they what they meant was the type that piss me off -- the birthday person picks a restaurant, and demands her friends take her out for dinner there. Yeah, I hate those. But I don't see how it's ever rude to cook for your friends and ask for the pleasure of hosting them.

In the story submitted to the site, the host (whose birthday it was) made it clear that she expected presents in return for her hospitality.

But I don't think it's fair to lump gracious partygivers in with this, and say that whenever someone hosts their own party, they've got an ego the size of the Hindenberg.

When my landlady hosted her 70th birthday party, she cooked half the food (the rest was catered, which she paid for) and everyone got a take-home gift. No one else could have hosted this for her without going to great expense and stress, because the party was attended by well over fifty people. Some came for breakfast, then left so others could take their places for lunch, and so on around the clock.

Last edited:

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Well, maybe if you were all, "Hey it's my B-day now bring me presents." then, that might be kinda rude.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
If it were nobody would show up...right?

But seeing how people love to party, I bet they'd show.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
What's wrong with being self-absorbed etc. on that one day of the year that is about your existence?
Also, birthday parties are like everything else in life - don't rely on others fixing your kicks for you. Ever since I've grown out of children's birthdays with parents dragging their kids to my backyard, nobody was EVER, until that one time in 2013, thrown me a party. Pretty lonely.

I also don't know what country that site is managed from. Neither in Germany, nor Israel for example, is it rude for either the birthday person or someone from their entourage, to host the party, surprise or not. As long as there's a party.

Also, it depends on how much you're making it "Me, me, me". If you're gonna be like Dandy from AHS demanding everyone give you attention all the time, then yeah, you're a douche. But other than that, I don't see the issue. People need to worry less about etiquette without the belief in which less offense might actually be going around, and more ab out enjoying stuff.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I briefly lived in Germany years ago, and I was told it was a custom for the birthday person to provide a cake for her friends. I'm not sure if it really is a general German custom or not (I'm sure we have some German members who could tell us); I do know that at the school where I was student teaching in Dusseldorf, the German teachers did bring in cakes on their own birthdays. I thought it was a very nice little custom.

I have on several occasions had friends over for dinner on my birthday -- I provided everything, and made it clear it gifts were forbidden.

ETA:

On the forbidding gifts thing? It helps to remind people, really nicely, that if they do override your request and bring a gift, they'll be embarrassing the people who respect your request, and that you truly are sincere about needing and wanting nothing but their excellent company. I generally throw in a joke about being, in any case, unable to squeeze another item into my small apartment.

Miss Manners would say that one shouldn't mention gifts at all, but alas, I've found if you don't, nowadays everyone assumes you're trolling for gifts and acts accordingly. Damn the gift-trollers who've made this assumption so universal. I'm not just being nice -- I REALLY DON'T WANT GIFTS!

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to work for a woman who, when it was her birthday, would go around complimenting people on their possessions and saying things like "don't you want to give it to me? It's my birthday you know!" It was actually kind of cute. She both meant it, and didn't. But it gave me a good example of someone who had zero shame about asking for things just because she wanted them -- asking, mind you, not demanding or expecting.

It was refreshing.

When it's my birthday, I have no hesitation asking for stuff. :D And I might even give a party, except I don't especially like parties these days.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I actually feel rather strongly about not wanting to get into the habit of exchanging birthday gifts with friends. I have quite a few friends, and many of them know each other. It would get damn expensive and time-consuming in very short order, with everyone ending up with a pile of stuff, most of which they really don't want or need.

Call me the grinch, but I've put a firm kibosh on gift exchanges with friends. If you get married or have a baby, you'll get a gift. You might also get something spontaneous if I happen to see something I know you'll absolutely love. But the whole routine exchange every year? Yeah, I'm not into it. I don't want yours. And you won't get one from me.

ETA:

I do sometimes throw parties for close friends' birthdays. I'm always happy to provide food for people. Just ixnay on the iftsgay, please.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually feel rather strongly about not wanting to get into the habit of exchanging birthday gifts with friends. I have quite a few friends, and many of them know each other. It would get damn expensive and time-consuming in very short order, with everyone ending up with a pile of stuff, most of which they really don't want or need.

Call me the grinch, but I've put a firm kibosh on gift exchanges with friends. If you get married or have a baby, you'll get a gift. You might also get something spontaneous if I happen to see something I know you'll absolutely love. But the whole routine exchange every year? Yeah, I'm not into it. I don't want yours. And you won't get one from me.

Well, okay then. So, this one of a kind, diamond-encrusted cudgel I special ordered for you for your birthday, I'll just keep it then.

:D

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Well, okay then. So, this one of a kind, diamond-encrusted cudgel I special ordered for you for your birthday, I'll just keep it then.

:D

oooh, I do kind of want the cudgel. I could totally hurt someone with a diamond-encrusted one...

Heh. Something like that might very well fall into the special spontaneous category for me! I do often see something randomly I know someone would love, and then it's really fun to get it for them. I just don't care for the routine expectation of "it's-her-birthday-so-I've-got-to-get-something-damn-it-and-I've-no-idea-what-to-get."

My favorite "spontaneous" gift someone got for me was an umbrella. No kidding. I'd told a friend who lives in Mississippi about a see-through bubble umbrella I'd had as a kid, and how much I'd loved it. I noted that I hadn't seen one like it in years, but it would sure come in handy when traversing NYC streets. A couple months later, she mailed me one. She'd seen it in a mall in Jacksonville, and couldn't resist buying it for me. :D You should have seen the funny tube packaging she mailed it in.

Now, I freaking LOVED everything about that gift. It was thoughtful, it was funny, it was a total surprise, and it's damn useful. I mailed her some homemade cookies to thank her.

Actually, I'm big on the surprise mailing-homemade-cookies-to-people thing. I sent some to my parents recently, and tonight I'm baking a batch to send to a friends' parents (they're very kind to me and treat me like a daughter).

I think I just don't like perfunctory routines, which end up being more about feeling obligated than about the delight of giving and receiving.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have one of those see-through bubble umbrellas! It was very classy, with shiny black trim. :D

But I'm keeping this cudgel.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I used to have one of those see-through bubble umbrellas! It was very classy, with shiny black trim. :D

But I'm keeping this cudgel.

Well, you are a mod, after all. I guess you need one.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

It's rude to host your own birthday party? Really?

Amongst Sikhs, it's the height of good manners to throw a shindig on your own birthday, provide the food, and the entertainment. No gifts required. I've only done it once or twice, but only due to scheduling issues.

Seems totally reasonable to me.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal