Whiny Yankee in the South

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I will admit that I don't miss my hair freezing in the morning during my short walk to the car, or bruising my palms while chipping ice, or hurting my back while shoveling slush, but it is cold here in SC.

Also, I miss the real apple cider from the cider mill in my hometown, which is made in an old wooden cider mill. You purchase a gallon or quart, and it is crisp and delicious. After a few days, it ferments and has a bite to it.

The Redd's Apple Ale or Angry Orchard just isn't the same. They are too sweet.

If anyone plans to travel South next October, and happens to pass through CT, please pm me!

imjustj

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! My born and bred Texan daughter is freezing her tail off in Pennsylvania. All she wants is to be able to wear shorts year round and eat good Mexican food with ice cold Dr. Pepper.

Relocation isn't for wimps. ;-)

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes dream that it would be awesome to live somewhere in the Northeast...land of my forefathers, my foremothers, and my foresiblings. But then I see TV news reports about the winter weather in New York, Boston, etc., and I say "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

Ellesi

Registered
Reaction score
Avonlea, Fraser's Ridge, Bon Temps, Westeros
I am in the south trying to escape to the north. :) The endless weeks of 95+ during the summer is for the birds...or maybe lizards. :) Having lived in a nordic country for several years I grew used to the ice and snow and cold, and growing up in Satan's armpit, I was used to the heat, but I've had enough.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'm in the south, having successfully escaped from the north. :hooray:

I'd much rather endure 100+ degree days than endless subzero ones. No regrets here! People sometimes ask me if I don't miss the Colorado mountains. I haul out my pictures and explain that when you're in the mountains, it looks just like the flats near the Hill Country, but without the snow and lack of oxygen. :ROFL:

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
All the Moxie in Maine couldn't get me south. I lived in Florida for a couple of months in the winter, and spent a year in Dayton TN, where the Monkey Trial (my landlord was a fellow teacher with Scopes) would play out the same as it did when it happened. I have no love of grits or chicory or anything else I can't make during a bad day in the kitchen.
The snakes, insects, and fauna are more appealing up here and northern gals can handle an axe better.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Real cider sounds wonderful! I bet that's like real maple syrup, which is so wonderful. Thomas Jefferson tried to tap maples down here, but it just doesn't work out.

I am in the south trying to escape to the north. :) The endless weeks of 95+ during the summer is for the birds...or maybe lizards. :) Having lived in a nordic country for several years I grew used to the ice and snow and cold, and growing up in Satan's armpit, I was used to the heat, but I've had enough.

The lizards! Yes! I've always been from the South except for a few years as a toddler in Chicago (which lightened my accent forever), but I didn't see all the lizards everywhere till I moved to the country. Man, they like it HOT. They sun themselves on black asphalt shingles and things when it's over 100. Crazy creatures. Cute, though :)

I don't like either extreme. I do wish we could knock off 10 degrees at least and a bunch of humidity come summer. It's pretty sweaty down here.

Ellesi

Registered
Reaction score
Avonlea, Fraser's Ridge, Bon Temps, Westeros
All the Moxie in Maine couldn't get me south. I lived in Florida for a couple of months in the winter, and spent a year in Dayton TN, where the Monkey Trial (my landlord was a fellow teacher with Scopes) would play out the same as it did when it happened. I have no love of grits or chicory or anything else I can't make during a bad day in the kitchen.
The snakes, insects, and fauna are more appealing up here and northern gals can handle an axe better.

Maine is where we are looking to move. Have to wait for our half-ling to graduate first. :)

dreamergirl

Registered
Reaction score
Relocating must be difficult for anyone, no matter where you are from. Having always lived in California (the southern part, mind you; almost never gets below 50) has left me with thin blood and I fear I'll never be able to escape the land of pretentious hipsters and shallow surfers. A winter in Minnesota could kill me, for example. I have this theory that the love of my life must be somewhere in the Midwest, or maybe the South, but how the heck will I find him if I'm living out here in the state of perpetual summer? And how could I live without tacos?!? (I ate a taco in Chicago once and it was a big regret).

But you can always look at the bright side. Perhaps property and stuffs are cheaper in your new locale. Maybe people are friendlier? Certain foods yummier? Cool music? Try to focus on what your new home has to offer.

dreamergirl

Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes dream that it would be awesome to live somewhere in the Northeast...land of my forefathers, my foremothers, and my foresiblings. But then I see TV news reports about the winter weather in New York, Boston, etc., and I say "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

It could be fun though, right? I always say that, and dream of snow days, but I am sure it must get old after about 2.5 seconds. However, there's something dreamy about a fresh coat of snow over everything. Makes you appreciate life a bit more, maybe? I think this is ignorance talking. But Christmas isn't the same without snow.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the North. I did live in Virginia for about six years and my parents lived in SC for about 25 years.

Winter makes you strong. The hardy live through winter. When you're car is stuck, neighbors and strangers help push you out. Shoveling is good exercise. There are no fire ants, poison toads, giant flying cockroaches or termites. No one has cockroaches in their homes. You appreciate your garden and the lovely summer nights on the deck.

My visits to SC got me to think that a lot of folks down there are crazy and some are crazy and dangerous. I know there are a lot of lovely people down there, too, but I moved back as far north as I could and still stay in the lower 48.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My boss is from Ohio. She explained that open-toed shoes are formal down here. I really love her!

I in no way miss chipping ice or shoveling, which I always had to do. I don't miss my wet hair freezing during the short walk between house and car in the morning, or running out of oil and having to get diesel and pour it into the side of the house during a wet, sleety snowstorm!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take the southwest, where we have some elevation and dryness.

I'll take the mountains and the cold, thank you.

I can always put on more clothes, but I can only take off so much.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Me too!!

Where are you from originally?
I grew up in New Milford, CT, bucolic home in Western CT. Adam Sandler's Mr. Deeds was filmed there, as was a double mint gum commercial. It is the largest town in the state, boasting 67 square miles. Famous residents are Mia Farrow, John Oates, Diane VonFurstenburg (I've been to her ranch once, for a job), My parents, and Harold Robbins.

Where are you from?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say, I love the title of this thread.

:D

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I miss the real apple cider from the cider mill in my hometown, which is made in an old wooden cider mill. You purchase a gallon or quart, and it is crisp and delicious. After a few days, it ferments and has a bite to it.

Awe, there now hon, you should go back. Really.
It's calling you.

*See what I did there?*

*Evil grin*

*Plays 'Sweet Home'*

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Cry me a river. I am a Californian consigned to the East Coast.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
I live in the North. I did live in Virginia for about six years and my parents lived in SC for about 25 years.

Winter makes you strong. The hardy live through winter. When you're car is stuck, neighbors and strangers help push you out. Shoveling is good exercise. There are no fire ants, poison toads, giant flying cockroaches or termites. No one has cockroaches in their homes. You appreciate your garden and the lovely summer nights on the deck.

My visits to SC got me to think that a lot of folks down there are crazy and some are crazy and dangerous. I know there are a lot of lovely people down there, too, but I moved back as far north as I could and still stay in the lower 48.

Thanks! That's part of the charm :D

quix689

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.quix689.wordpress.com
I can always put on more clothes, but I can only take off so much.

This has always been my argument against hot weather. I avoid the heat whenever I can. I don't like being freezing, but it's better than swearing all the time.

I was born in New York but raised in Georgia, and I've been trying to get back to the north ever since. I currently live in Virginia. It's still hot in the summer, but at least we've managed to get actual snow this winter. A very nice change from Georgia!