NovNoWriMo

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to everyone on their progress. I'm trying to keep my pace up. Just hit 40k words... still going strong (ish)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for the A, Cliff Face!

Show is finally open and now we wait for reviews/ticket sales to see if it'll extend past our scheduled Dec. 28th closing. It would be nice to get three additional weeks' salary as my next gig isn't until March.

Needless to say, no writing was accomplished this weekend. My hopes of being able to write during the show have been dashed, since I come on about every 20-30 minutes. In addition, since my costume is ENORMOUS and I share a dressing room, I'm very much in everyone's way if I'm sitting at my dressing station. The costume also includes long gloves worn under very tight sleeves, so I can't keyboard, use a smart phone or even turn pages with any dexterity unless I partially disrobe (a pain in the butt). I can, however, use my ancient Kindle, so I downloaded C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet, found myself an out-of-the-way spot backstage and have been reading to pass the time.

We're dark today and tomorrow, though, so I'm hoping to get back to the WIP soon.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So annoyed. After getting through last week's rehearsals, previews and opening night, I was looking forward to two days off and getting reacquainted with my WIP. Of necessity, yesterday was devoted to grocery-shopping, laundry and housework, with only a little writing squeezed in, but I promised myself today would be devoted to writing. However, late yesterday I found out that I have to give a deposition this afternoon. The process will probably take up to two hours, plus the hour or more it'll take me to drive to the attorney's office, as well as the return trip in rush-hour traffic. This punches a major hole in what was supposed to be "my" day. Tomorrow I'm back at the theatre with an afternoon matinee and an evening performance, so time to write will be nil then as well.

:rant:

On the up side, reviews of the show have been uniformly good thus far, and I'm halfway through both of the books I'm reading. Enjoying Out of the Silent Planet; Tiny Beautiful Things is wearing a little thin.

Current WIP word count: 94,894 out of 100,000
Books read: .5 out of 2
Blog posts: 1 out of 2
Beta-read friend's novel: 78 pages out of 350

http://www.absolutewrite.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that sucks, mrsmig. Hopefully what time you do have will be productive and with a eager muse.

I don't have much to report. It's been a while since I've even had time to write, so my brain is still adjusting and is not cooperating. As a result my Nano word count is still suffering. It's pretty much in a coma.

In the meantime I've done a little work on my rewrite, so at least I'm making progress somewhere.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So...after an hour's drive to the attorney's office, and after waiting for an additional half-hour while the attorneys ran in and out of the conference room, texting and talking on their cell phones, I was rather sheepishly informed that the case was on the verge of settlement and they wouldn't need to take my deposition after all. So another hour's drive home, which means a sixty-mile round trip was all for nothing. There are no words...

I did get a little writing done this morning, and finished Out of The Silent Planet when I got home, so the day wasn't a total waste. I am going to treat myself to another Kindle book - I could get the next book in the Lewis series, but I'm not feeling compelled to continue on although I enjoyed the first book well enough.

Current WIP word count: 95,303 out of 100,000
Books read: 1.5 out of 2

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, I watched half a movie yesterday, bringing me to 1.5 out of 8. And today I finished reading a book. It's finally hit me that from now on, I can choose to read whatever I want to read, and whenever I want to read it. No more set readings!

I have probably a year (or more)'s worth of books to get through on my TBR pile, but I'm not going to force myself to read faster than I want.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just found out I got a B for my final Life Writing piece, which probably means a B overall. (Well, there's a sizable participation grade which could maybe boost me into A territory, but I'm doubting it.)

So that's 1 topic definitely passed, 2 topics with grades still to come.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still stuttering along on the WIP; haven't been able to settle back into a "regular" schedule yet. Internet at the theatre is still spotty, which doesn't help. I started Call The Nurse: True Stories of a Country Nurse on a Scottish Isle by Mary J. MacLeod. It has its charms (although someone should have disabled the exclamation point key on the author's computer), and it's easy enough to put down, which makes it good backstage reading. I'm a little more than halfway through it.

I need to get back to my friend's beta, although I have to admit I'm kind of dreading it.

Current WIP word count: 95,671 out of 100,000

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good day today. Got a good amount of writing done, started work again on the friend's beta, still churning through Call the Nurse.

Current WIP word count: 97,240 out of 100,000
Beta-read friend's novel: 96 pages out of 350

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, I feel so lonely in here talking to myself. Where'd everyone go?

Finished Call The Nurse. Two-show day so I only got about an hour's worth of writing squeezed in.

Current WIP word count: 97,412 out of 100,000
Books read: 2.5 out of 2 COMPLETED
Beta-read friend's novel: 110 pages out of 350

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
My muse left me. Absence did not make the heart grow fonder.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
So I finally figured out what's wrong with my story. I know I've said before that I'd figured it out, but then would come back to say no, I didn't figure it out. Well, I think I truly figured it out this time. I don't have that nagging feeling I'm missing something anymore.

HOWEVER, it's back to that whole this-story-isn't-original-enough thing. I think I'm going to have to set it aside to think on how to make it more original.

In the meanwhile for Nano I guess I'm going to just work on other WIPs and combine those progress for my word count.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm just so confused on what to do now! I just heard back from a beta about this story and she really liked it so far! I'm so surprised by that. What to do, what to do...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps taking a step back is needed? Good luck with it, in any event. :)

So, I've just spent nearly an hour wrangling my resume. It's looking a bit better now. Still want to tweak it a bit, but I needed a break.

Although it's strange to see my entire adult life represented in about 4 pages. Work, study, interests, skills, contact details - no more than 4 pages, and I'm freakin' 30 years old!

If only writing an autobiography was this easy... :tongue

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chompers, I'm with Cliff Face - back off it a bit. And I wouldn't worry so much about it being "original" - there's not much new out there, but an original treatment can work wonders.

For my part, I forced myself through the rest of my friend's m/s today - so many errors (structural, grammatical, punctuational) that reading it was like trying to watch a TV show through static. I finally made myself stop correcting and just read. I need to write a cover email for the marked-up copy before I send it back to him, outlining what I think works and what doesn't. I'm still calling it finished.

Got just a little bit written of my own today, but I'll take it as well.

Current WIP word count: 97,855 out of 100,000
Beta-read friend's novel: COMPLETED

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
You're so close to completing all your goals! Woo! :D

I doubt if I'll make my goal of watching all 8 movies on my to-watch list. I'm stalled at the 2.5 mark, and I feel like I've just overdosed on movies for now.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I wrote more than five words on my WIP today, but by gum, I got that blog post written at last. Three out of four goals met, and only 2,145 words from my remaining goal! I MAY ACTUALLY DO THIS!

Current WIP word count: 97,855 out of 100,000
Blog posts: 2 out of 2 COMPLETED
Beta-read friend's novel: COMPLETED

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Chompers, I'm with Cliff Face - back off it a bit. And I wouldn't worry so much about it being "original" - there's not much new out there, but an original treatment can work wonders.
Well, at this point the only problem was the originality of the story, since I'd figured out the other elusive problem.

I MAY have figured out a way to make it more original. I just need to ponder on it and see if I can make it work, especially against what I already wrote.

And yay, you're so close to the finish line! Kudos!

And Cliff, congrats on finishing your degree!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Well, a beta told me that idea was juvenile haha. Guess I need to come up with something else.

And my other story is not going very well either. The MC is rather passive in the first half (kind of intentional) and there's not much tension. It's all in the second half. And I can't use humor to make it interesting for those parts. Blah.

This story has been such a pain in the you-know-what.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I just found out I got 90% on my literature review essay! Woo! :D:D:D

So I should be getting an A in that class overall, provided my participation grade doesn't let me down. Hell yeah! :D