Not open for further replies.

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hey guys,

So the past couple of times I've signed in to AW, I've had a supposed Java thing pop up and start to automatically install...something. My virus protection always stops it because it detects a virus.

The message is always a pop up with the following written:

The page at 69.162.91.236 says:

It is recommended that you update Java to the latest version to view this page. Please update to continue.

There's no option to say "no thanks", and even when you click on the "x" it takes you to a different page and starts the download, which my virus protection immediately stops.

I've never installed Java this way. My computer prompts me first, not a website.

Something to look into? Or is my virus protection just super sensitive?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So the past couple of times I've signed in to AW, I've had a supposed Java thing pop up and start to automatically install...something. My virus protection always stops it because it detects a virus.

The message is always a pop up with the following written:

The page at 69.162.91.236 says:

It is recommended that you update Java to the latest version to view this page. Please update to continue.

There's no option to say "no thanks", and even when you click on the "x" it takes you to a different page and starts the download, which my virus protection immediately stops.

I've never installed Java this way. My computer prompts me first, not a website.

Something to look into? Or is my virus protection just super sensitive?
I'm getting basically the same message from my AVG virus protection, only no Java messages, they seem to be blocking it, but it's very persistent. In the time I've found and typed this, it's apparently tried to do something, 3 times. All apparently blocked.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
This is floating across the internet apparently. I've heard about it three times today.

Do the usual -- clear your temp files, flush your history and caches, reboot.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
That IP belongs to a company called Limestone Networks which I would guess, from some peripheral information in the WHOIS, ultimately belongs to someone in China, by the way.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You absolutely never accept something like that popping up in your browser. 100% guarantee it's bad news. A legitimate website complaining that your browser or plugin is too old will simply declare the fact and leave you to take care of it.

"You are using an older version of IE. Please consider using a modern browser."

Deleted member 42

As williebee says, flush your browser cache, delete your History, and if you know your logins, delete your cookies, and completely shut down your browser.

This is not something residing on AW, but it will attempt to hijack the popup JavaScript used by vBulletin for PMs alerts, and / r iframes used by Google for ads.

See: FAQ: Emptying Your Browser's Cache, History, and Deleting Cookies

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.