How do I stop constant searching for c.adforge.inc

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I keep getting a message at the bottom of my screen here saying- waiting for c.adforgeinc.com

Do I just ignore it?

ETA- waited, and it's gone now - :Shrug:

Now it's back again.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
You've got a tracker installed in your system. And it's pointing to an irrelevant location.

Basically, something is trying to track where you go by having your Web browser attempt to download a 1pixel by 1pixel image (a black or white dot, basically). If that "something" no longer subscribes to adforge, the image gets removed, but the lookup continues happening. The sucker sort of "gets stuck" trying to find that 1x1 image.

The easiest answer, though it takes a little while, is to download the Malwarebytes software and run it.

Make sure you know all your Web site passwords. Malwarebytes generally does not affect sites that are supposed to remember you, but it's happened to me a time or two. Usually with certain sites that tried this same thing.

When you run Malwarebytes for this particular issue, I think their basic scan should catch it and remove it.

The other option, is to go to your browser settings and delete all those temporary files that browsers create. It's best if you check all the options there, but that means that all sites that automatically remember you will now no longer remember you, and you'll have to login again.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ran malwarebytes but 'it' is still there only it disappears and stops searching after around 15 or 20 seconds -sometimes less.

Guess I can live with that. Thanks for the help, Rob..

ETA - Nope it's still there.:rant:

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
For crap that's trying to hijack the browser, til you get the real culprit evicted you might put c.adforge.inc in your HOSTS file. Where it lives depends on your OS. Mine happens to live in F:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

HOSTS blocks the browser from connecting to listed sites, with varying degrees of success but always better than nothing. I use it mainly against ad hosts that slow a whole site's response to a crawl (I'm lookin' at you, googlesyndication.com).

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What browser are you using?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Google Chrome

ETA- Deleted temporary files and it seems to have gone. Thanks.

Last edited: