The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
PossiblyPerfect said:
I am not a great researcher but have tried to find an alternate publisher because of what I read here...however, I have no money to spend...
Patty, you aren't supposed to spend money to get published. A publisher is supposed to pay you. They take a chance that your book will make a profit for them, and they pay you royalties out of the money they get by selling the book. That's how what PA calls "traditional publishing" works.

If you pay someone to publish your book, it's a vanity press, not a regular ("traditional") publisher. If you pay someone for printing and binding, that's self-publishing, which is pretty much the same thing.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Re our departed friend...

nuthin4u2 said:
He’s here right now among the posters as a spy for PA. Why do you think he hasn’t posted at PA? He’s been posting here for months already. I don’t need to point him out either. You just have to ask yourself what would cause him to shed his name. If you think that idiot could keep quiet for this long, he has not. He’s just been on here gaining your trust. Don’t point him out or name him. You can come up with the same conclusion I have as to who he is. Just don’t share anything with him he can take back to PA.

Jim
Jim, he has no need to spy, nothing here is secret in the first place, this is a public writer's board. All Shemp could do is go back and say what? That we think PA is pond scum? That they're publishing industry jokes? No surprises there, hell, the New Three Stooges and The POD Squad probably believe that themselves down deep. The fact that he would devote time to "intrique" and "spying" just underlines what a pathetic loser he is. I agree with what's already been said, he's yesterday's news, and better out like the garbage. We're gonna worry from here on out about writing, it's a much better expenditure of time. Good riddance.

Last edited:

Crystal Rivers

Registered
Reaction score
nuthin4u2 said:
If you think that idiot could keep quiet for this long, he has not. He’s just been on here gaining your trust. Jim

You are right about him not keeping quiet for long. He's an imbecile who craves attention. I was wondering myself when he would reappear and in what life form.
eek.gif
I'll keep my eyes open, but I'm not sure I'll be able to pick him out of the crowd right away. I don't want to accuse anyone who's an innocent poster & unaware of the whole HB horror show. Then again, I don't want to be stipid
emoticoncrazy.gif
either and be taken in by his web of weirdness.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
PossiblyPerfect said:
I am currently being offered a contract on a book with PA and I appreciate the posts on AW in regards to "beware of PA"...I am not a great researcher but have tried to find an alternate publisher because of what I read here...however, I have no money to spend and what is attractive about PA is the no cost to the author bait and hook...I have tried to find suggestions of a different publisher before I sign the contract but haven't been able to! So, what other publishers offer what PA offers but go one step further? What options do broke writers have? I really appreciate the warnings but I don't know what options I have and where to go! Hope you understand and can help!

Patty

Hello Patty,

Glad to hear you found us before signing that contract. Luckily, there are a fair number of options for broke writers even though PublishAmerica likes to present themselves as your only hope. Now, which sort of publisher to choose will depend on what sort of book you have and what you hope to do with it.

If this is the sort of book that you hope will sell a fair number of copies, have mass appeal, and make you some money, remember Uncle Jim's maxim: Money flows toward the writer. Reputable publishers are in the business of selling books to the general public. Consequently, they want books to be good enough to sell, and will pay you something reasonable for it. They have no need to charge an author for anything whatsoever because they will make considerably more than what they pay you when they actually sell the books. There are hundreds of publishers who will not demand a fee. You may have difficulty getting a big outfit like Penguin Books to print your work if you send it directly, but stick around and you'll find plenty on how to find a good publisher.

If you have $30 to spare, get a copy of Writer's Market for a really, really big list of them. This list even will tell you what sort of books they publish. And if you can't afford a copy of the book, check out the listing at Preditors and Editors. Their section on Publishers has quite a long listing of normal publishers.

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/

There are a few times when you will do better by paying to publish. This is when you have a book that is on a topic that would not be found in a bookstore. There's a lot you can sell in bookstores, so paying to publish only makes sense if you are writing something like a family history, want to see Grandma's recipes in print, or are writing on an incredibly limited topic of local interest like An Illustrated Guide to the Land Snails of Fulton County. Lulu may be your best bet there. The setup fee ranges from free to $120 or so, and the individual books cost less than with PA.

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
The Condensed thread.

Just wanted to hand out some kudos to those who originated and participated in the "Why we do not recommend PA" thread.

I think that along with having a place where PA authors can go to get the facts straight up, it will also serve as a touchstone for further media interest.

All in all: Good Job People! :Clap:

PossiblyPerfect

Thanks for the advice....WOW! I am starting to trot and may soon be running! Any suggestions on agents for fiction? The book is done, edited (by someoone else of course!), formatted and ready to go! Just anxious to get it going!

Patty

ZaZ

Banned
Reaction score
Website
thebobshow.buzznet.com
Ann said:
That's how ZaZ sells his books, he said so him self! :Ssh:

Oh yes, this is the functional side of my alcoholism, marketing with slur. Just last Monday at happy hour, some intoxicated goof high on 50 cent tap beers bellowed at me as I ran to the juke box to turn off the mindless contemporary rot chosen by two women who could use a diet of more than just consuming light beer, "Hey, there's that author guy."
"My name isn't Arthur."

Apparently he enjoyed the read and didn't even seem to suspect that the fifteen dollars I made him chump out last year was anything more than a good deal. Hell, I even autographed it for him.

To whatever your name is.
Don't hurt yourself.
ZaZ

I no longer sell my bars in books. *hic* I could, but I don' t have the heart to stick people for what could buy them 30 tap beers on a good night and trying to pinch the price down to 10 bucks a book leaves me hangin' when shipping is included.

I'm PO'd from having been PA'd.

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
keltora said:
Lulu.com won't cost you a red cent and you will get as much as you do (if not more) with PA...

Sorry, I meant to add more to that but got interrupted by rampant patrons and coworkers, and when I hid send accidentally and posted the server said something went wrong, so I assumed my incomplete post had not made it through.
:Shrug:

At any rate, there is no reason to pay to get published, Patty. I never paid a single red cent to any of my publishers. They foot the bill for everything *INCLUDING* copyright, promotion, etc. My books can be ordered through books stores...heck, my books are IN some stores around the country. I get pestered regularly by B&N because they want my newest novel (and it's been delayed until May 2006) which is not yet available. My books have been reviewed (you can find me listed in Book Review Index too).
:thankyou:

Point is PA is a BAD, BAD, BAD idea. If you cannot afford a copy of Writer's Market, go to the library and use theirs (shoot, if you have a bookstore in your area with a coffee shop, I dare say you can take a copy into the shop to browse and make notes from).
:idea:

But whatever you do--Do Not Sign That Contract!

You'll feel better in the long run if you heed the advice you get out here in Absolute Write.

And welcome to Absolute Write.

:welcome:

Crystal Rivers

Registered
Reaction score
PossiblyPerfect said:
Thanks for the advice....WOW! I am starting to trot and may soon be running! Any suggestions on agents for fiction? The book is done, edited (by someoone else of course!), formatted and ready to go! Just anxious to get it going! Patty

Patty, You just saved yourself 7 yrs. of headbanging
EmoteHeadbang.gif
by not signing with PA. You have other options and I'm sure the pros on this board will help you find them. We are all anxious to see our books in print and sadly many rushed into signing with PA. Most of us found out after the fact what a load of poop they were peddlin'. You're lucky you found out now about their shenanigans. I wish you success whichever route you take.
emoteThumbs.gif

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
PossiblyPerfect said:
Hope you understand and can help!

Patty

Patty, if you are sincere in your request, listen carefully to what the others are saying.

From my perspective, I've been trying to find the right words to strongly impress on you how dangerous it is to even consider signing the contract. I can't find any that seem strong enough. No one can tell you what to do, but the fact that so many are warning you adamantly NOT TO SIGN, should tell you something. We are for the authors, bottom line; our goal is to help those like you to not make the same mistakes that others have made.

PLEASE Patty, don't sign. It may take a little longer doing it the right way, but you can find a reputable publisher to deal with and it won't cost you anything but time and talent.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
My scheme involves free retail space in such shops as hairdressers,framers,opticians that would only require a decent display. The books would all be sold as collectable signed copies making PA books premium items

Because, gosh, those places would never, ever be using that space to promote their own items for sale, would they? For example, every hairdresser's shop I've ever seen displays "product" (retail-speak for shampoos, styling gels, nail polish, whatever) in their retail space. "Free" retail space? Using that space to advertise a book they don't have a stake in isn't free to them! In retail, space=money. Why would these places give you money?

Last edited:

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
I can't even imagine...

ZaZ said:
Oh yes, this is the functional side of my alcoholism, marketing with slur. Just last Monday at happy hour, some intoxicated goof high on 50 cent tap beers bellowed at me as I ran to the juke box to turn off the mindless contemporary rot chosen by two women who could use a diet of more than just consuming light beer, "Hey, there's that author guy."
"My name isn't Arthur."

Apparently he enjoyed the read and didn't even seem to suspect that the fifteen dollars I made him chump out last year was anything more than a good deal. Hell, I even autographed it for him.
...what it would be like to have an autographed copy of ZaZ's epistle sitting right here next to my Jerry Lee Lewis picture. I'd write more, but I'm starting to get emotional just thinking about it...

fart.gif

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Crystal Rivers said:
Patty, You just saved yourself 7 yrs. of headbanging
EmoteHeadbang.gif
by not signing with PA. You have other options and I'm sure the pros on this board will help you find them. We are all anxious to see our books in print and sadly many rushed into signing with PA. Most of us found out after the fact what a load of poop they were peddlin'. You're lucky you found out now about their shenanigans. I wish you success whichever route you take.
emoteThumbs.gif
Poop peddlin'! I love it, Crystal.

Geez, bust out of work and go brave the aisles of Wally World and look what I miss -- poop and last-call trysts and trolls and ... Mem's back!

Got to catch up, but first I'm off to see the wizard, feelin' bad to the bone, gonna stop first and pick a peck o' pickled PODs.;)

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Sher2 said:
Down the Yellow Brick Road, hand in hand
Butt in a sling, straight over the rainbow.

Hey, the Yellow Brick Road runs right through Fort Scott, I wonder if I'll see the Stooges if I go sit at the side of the road. As long as there aren't any munchkins, I'm scared of them, you know. :scared: (Highway 54 was renamed the Yellow Brick Road several years ago, don't ask me why). :confused:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Sheesh! Why's everyone looking at me?

PossiblyPerfect said:
I am currently being offered a contract on a book with PA and I appreciate the posts on AW in regards to "beware of PA"...

Okay, good. "Beware of PA" is the beginning.

I am not a great researcher but have tried to find an alternate publisher because of what I read here...however, I have no money to spend

Stop right there! Do not spend money to get published. I don't pay to get published, Big Steve King doesn't pay to get published, why the hey should you pay to get published?

and what is attractive about PA is the no cost to the author bait and hook...

No cost to the author?

Other than the cost of copyright, the names and addresses of a hundred family and friends (Note: Larry cries poor-mouth about how only 18 out of those hundred buy the books direct from the orderform he sends them. Cry me a friggin' river, Larry. You and I both know that an 18% return for a direct-mail solicitation is beyond the wildest dreams of most advertisers.) and the books that you'll buy yourself. Let's not forget the cost of publicity.

What will 500 copies of your own book cost? With the very best author's discount you're looking at something over $5,000. How's that for "no cost to the author"?

You want to know something about publishing? Once you're out of the vanity/subsidy swamp, the publishers pay you. And not just one friggin' measly dollar, either.

I have tried to find suggestions of a different publisher before I sign the contract but haven't been able to!

Go into a bookstore. Find books similar to yours. Open 'em to the copyright page. You'll find the publisher's name and address right there.

So, what other publishers offer what PA offers but go one step further?

Every real publisher on land or sea or in the air. See above about finding publishers' names in the books themselves. Writer's Market is also a decent source, as is Jeff Herman's book, as is the Literary Marketplace. If you can't afford 'em or your library doesn't have 'em, go do bookstore research while standing in the aisle. Once you have the names, write to therm for their guidelines (include an SASE). Once you have the guidelines, follow those guidelines to the letter. "No unsolicited" means "send a query letter first." "No unagented" means get an agent first. "No simultaneous" means they want an exclusive look.

You probably spent months-to-years writing your book. Now's the time to spend weeks-to-months learning the business side.

This sort of information is handled more fully elsewhere on this board and in may other sources.

Three things for you to read right now:

What options do broke writers have?

Real publication with a real publisher. Stephen King was living in poverty in Maine when he sold Carrie. J. K. Rowling was on the dole in Edinburgh when she sold Harry Potter. I was active duty military when I sold my first (and military pay is not high, chums).

I really appreciate the warnings but I don't know what options I have and where to go! Hope you understand and can help!

Patty

I don't know what kind of book you've written. (Whatever kind it is, you'll probably find a board here at AW that discusses your sort of book.)

With the exceptions of a) poetry, b) specialized non-fiction, and c) niche fiction, self-publication should be your last choice, not your first. Vanity publication shouldn't even be under consideration.

Bottom line...

Here's the straight out truth: If you've written a book that a lot of peoiple want to read, you can get published by a legitimate press. If you haven't, no self-publishing or vanity-publishing scheme in the world will help you.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams said:
...Land of Poz begins. In the category of convoluted logic, we find:

I would add that I find it strange that some
(only a few!) PA authors, who sent in a
proposal for their book to PA electronically,
sent their manuscript electronically, received
their proofs electronically and returned the
same with corrections electronically and all
their communications with PA are by email
(electronically) now are disappointed that
there books are being sold electronically and
want their books to be sold mainly through
bookstores!!!

I can't imagine why your fellow authors would think that a book publishing company would want to sell books through bookstores, especially as truthful as PA has been in the advertising of their "services."

He seems quite taken with the word "electronically" doesn't he? Maybe he'll get lucky and one of those "electronically" run bookstores can do more for him than they did for the rest of us. :Headbang:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
lindylou45 said:
He seems quite taken with the word "electronically" doesn't he? Maybe he'll get lucky and one of those "electronically" run bookstores can do more for him than they did for the rest of us. :Headbang:
I've submitted electronically to one of the best, so it doesn't concern me at all. It's a total non-issue. That guy's just got a case of occipital rectitis. With a little Mazola oil, some gentle pressure, and maybe a crowbar, he can be helped.;)

Hey, Linda, I ain't scared of no steenkin' Munchkins. I'll go with you down the Yellow Brick Road. Shoot, I'll even go first. :roll:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams]What's astonishing is that an adult with reasonable intelligence and normal sensitivities would even attempt such a thing. Hmmm, maybe I just figured it all out.

Duh! :crazy:

My scheme involves free retail space in such shops as hairdressers,framers,opticians that would only require a decent display. The books would all be sold as collectable signed copies making PA books premium items

Scheme about covers it! :Smack:

Status
Not open for further replies.