MayNoWriMo!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Beyond my proclaimed "I've been busy with other things" excuse above, I think I may be suffering from post-Camp lag. I could have made more time to write yesterday but I spent it piddling around on the interwebs.

I think all of us could use a few days of downtime. We got a lot of work done in a short period of time. :Hug2:

I finished my Beta Project crits. So much fun.

Now, I actually have to do the things on my list that are actual work...

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday, Cliff! :) (It's still your birthday over here so it counts... ;))

April was insanely busy! Pretty much the entire month got away from me, but I got a lot done at least! I didn't get everything I wanted finished completed, but I still did a lot so it's fine by me. :) I'm going to try to be a BIT more focused in May. Hopefully it won't be too difficult -- it shouldn't be since I got all of that scholarship stuff out of the way last month (finally!), but we'll see!

So... Goals for May:

*Keep up with schoolwork (duh)
*Start on some of my study abroad prep work to get it out of the way before leaving in July
*Finish filling out my grad school comparison spreadsheet
*Read 5 books
*Write 5k of not school-related stuff
*Complete 5 DayZero goals
*Not die running 5k next Saturday
*Do something fun

... Well, that was a lot of fives... Oh well. :tongue

~Amber~

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did a fair amount of yard work today, along with some other chores, and got almost to the end of my current scene. Not entirely happy with it but I'm going to keep pushing forward.

Finish draft of Book #3 in series - 142,682 out of 171,000
Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series - 0 of 1
Write a blog post - 0 of 1
Read three books - 0 of 3

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Today begins my first work week of May.
Big WIP - 1005 words
Transcription - 405
Other Wip - 175

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Finally conquered this hard-to-write scene by switching POVs mid-scene. It was impossible to write from one POV. MMC section explains motives for why he does this horrible thing. Then it switches to MFC's reaction to this horrible thing.

Both of them seem to be acting out of character according to the other's POV, but it makes sense inside their own heads. At least, I think it does. *sigh*

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Big WIP - 1000 words
Other Wips - 215
Transcription - 460

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spent more of today working on the music for my next gig, then went to the movies and dinner with my husband. Some writing done; not as much as I'd hoped. At least I'm almost to the end of this scene.

Finish draft of Book #3 in series - 143,170 out of 171,000
Read three books - 0 of 3

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
My writing goals for this month:

• Work on edits for my horror short story. It got accepted by my YA publisher, but I'm waiting to hear back on edits and such.
  • Work on edits for my lower grade chapter book, Grave Error.
  • Hopefully work on edits for another chapter book. I hope I can say more about this soon!
  • Finish first draft and edits for Ghostslayer. It's the cleanest manuscript I've written to date, and I'm editing it now before I write the final few chapters.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is doooooone! :snoopy:

In other news, omg it's so short. It's 47K, and I have no obvious adds other than one conversation with a character I ended up killing.

But, in better news, lots of good things happened during the draft. The book worked out all sorts of plot kinks in totally organic fashion, and ended with a perfect *close book* line.

Either way, I had a TON of fun with this one...

I'd like to thank coffee, Janelle Monae's first album, and Camp Nano for getting me through.

Last edited:

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I have not written a single word since Camp ended. I definitely get depleted during short bursts. I can't seem to write a little bit every day, but rather, push myself to the limit for a while and then I have to recharge. Went to a music festival all weekend, which was a nice break from all things cerebral. Back to work today, so maybe I will get some writing done now that I'm on my regular schedule again.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
1. Make some progress on edits for Black Book.
2. Get a fair bit of Little House written.
3. Get my website/business completely sorted out.
4. Get at least 1 client (I know this is mostly out of my control...).

#3 has been attacked (after putting it off for days). I'm still not entirely happy with the setup, but I'm calling it good for today. #3 is still an open-ended goal, but I've at least started it...

Link in signature.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Congrats Coffee beans!

My MMC basically said 'f-u' to my planned ending. Now I'm going one sentence at a time. :flag: I'm currently rewriting the part leading up to this final torture scene. I know what's going to happen to the person being tortured, but not sure what impact my MFC will have. She has to decide whether the lifestyle my MMC offers is worth what's left of her humanity.

This is what I get for writing from the POV of the villains. /sigh

“You would have let you own brother rot in the mid-day sun,” he said, silencing her. He pressed his hand against her chest and felt the beat of her heart against his hand. “I didn’t make you into a monster, Annika. You were one long before you ever met me. Stop trying to pretend you’re the hero of your story. We’re not heroes. We’re survivors. We’re conquers.”

1729 words written this month. 92% done with 2nd draft.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
^I hear you on that Meowzbark - I have a final scene that's a murder - well, it's a human sacrifice... slow going.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Coffee Beans!

I didn't write a single word yesterday. I had a rehearsal for my cabaret, then was stewing over songs I'll need to replace 'cause I'm not happy with how they're working in the mix. I also had to deal with booking auditions for next week, and I wasn't feeling great into the bargain - partly because I haven't slept well over the past couple of nights. Poor little me. :e2paperba

BUT - I got a good night's sleep, I feel better and I have no commitments today (except to keep stewing over those songs), so I'm hopeful I'll get some work done.

And oh, I did finish one thing: the Pratchett short story anthology. I didn't like all of them (he can sometimes be a bit precious for me) but really enjoyed one that involved Granny Weatherwax. I've never read the Discworld series but now I've asked for a Kindle copy of The Color of Magic for my birthday.

Finish draft of Book #3 in series - 143,170 out of 171,000
Read three books - 1 of 3

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
My WIP is doooooone! :snoopy:

In other news, omg it's so short. It's 47K, and I have no obvious adds other than one conversation with a character I ended up killing.

But, in better news, lots of good things happened during the draft. The book worked out all sorts of plot kinks in totally organic fashion, and ended with a perfect *close book* line.

Either way, I had a TON of fun with this one...

I'd like to thank coffee, Janelle Monae's first album, and Camp Nano for getting me through.

Congratulations! :D

I have not written a single word since Camp ended. I definitely get depleted during short bursts. I can't seem to write a little bit every day, but rather, push myself to the limit for a while and then I have to recharge. Went to a music festival all weekend, which was a nice break from all things cerebral. Back to work today, so maybe I will get some writing done now that I'm on my regular schedule again.

I've written a little, but dang, it's hard. I know I need to, but it's not easy to convince myself to keep going, much less write another 1k a day. But I'm only getting behind from my target...

And oh, I did finish one thing: the Pratchett short story anthology. I didn't like all of them (he can sometimes be a bit precious for me) but really enjoyed one that involved Granny Weatherwax. I've never read the Discworld series but now I've asked for a Kindle copy of The Color of Magic for my birthday.

I'll warn you, the early books aren't really the best to start on. Pratchett was still learning the world and the characters. If you liked Granny, consider going with Wyrd Sisters to start. There's no need to read them in order.

I've had a hiccup in my plans due to the discovery of an anthology that one of my messy shorts would fit well in. So I'm nixing the cover design for now and replacing it with #3: Clean up the short for submission.

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all - really, I was 5k from finished, and there was nothing but fun in the home stretch, so it's not a *huge* achievement ;)

If the Beta project hadn't come back-to-back with Camp, I'd probably be slacking harder...

MrsMig you are SO busy. I cannot imagine trying to get writing work done with everything else you have going on.

I'm back it editing land with the previous SNI today. I have 200+ pages of beta comments/changes to apply :cry: <-- *whiner*

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty pleased. The last few days I've been doing good about writing. And yesterday I got nearly 1,000 words written, which is the most in a while. And I'm just itching to write more. And I finally figured out a premise for one of my books (book 4 in a series). It's been eluding me for months, but it's finally revealed itself to me. Now I just need to finesse the premise for Book 1, as it's kind of cookie cutter right now and that's a VERY bad thing in my book.

Stress level is down, so that means more creativity. Must take advantage of this time. The only hiccup is I'm not working on the WIP I put in my goal. I haven't touched that since I turned in the opening for the Beta Swap. I'm just not feeling it.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll warn you, the early books aren't really the best to start on. Pratchett was still learning the world and the characters. If you liked Granny, consider going with Wyrd Sisters to start. There's no need to read them in order.

I've had a hiccup in my plans due to the discovery of an anthology that one of my messy shorts would fit well in. So I'm nixing the cover design for now and replacing it with #3: Clean up the short for submission.

Eh, it may be too late (I have a feeling my husband has already ordered my prezzies - birthday is next week), but I'll add Wyrd Sisters to my to-read list. Thanks for the advice.

If things ever calm down, I'd like to clean up the story I wrote for the Sekrit Solstice SF Swap and start submitting that. Maybe in the next month or so.

MrsMig you are SO busy. I cannot imagine trying to get writing work done with everything else you have going on.

It's batshit, to be sure. Every time I think things are going to slow down a bit, something happens and it's crazed again. I thought next week was going to be quiet but now I have two auditions (would've been three but I turned one down), plus a rehearsal for my cabaret act, plus I got asked to do a special event Monday at the Italian Embassy - in return for two songs, I get dinner and $150 (which will pay for a VERY nice bottle of wine when my husband and I have our anniversary dinner next Friday).

It will actually be a relief to go out of town for two months for the Alabama gig - no one will be calling me to do any auditions or special gigs or anything, and when I'm not actively doing my show, I'll have a lot of spare time. I always get a good bit done when I'm working out of town - no husband, no housework, none of the usual distractions - and writing keeps me from getting too bored or lonely.

Meanwhile, I got a bit done today. Not terribly happy with it. My MC is in a long downward spiral in this book, which means he's not much fun to write. I'll be grateful he finally gets to the breaking point so I can start building him back up again.

Finish draft of Book #3 in series - 143,659 out of 171,000
Read three books - 1 of 3

Last edited: