NovNoWriMo

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Day off rehearsal today and some writing squeezed in between errands and chores:

Current WIP word count: 92,002 out of 100,000
Books read: 0 out of 2
Blog posts: 0 out of 2
Beta-read friend's novel: 0 out of 1

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I was fully intending to write 2 or 3 first drafts of assignments yesterday, but instead just planned an author statement for my final assignment. Really was not in the right mood to be super busy.

In any event, this morning I wrote the (575-word-ish) first draft of a short paper, due in 2 days from now. So that's something at least. :)

I have classes today (the last on-campus day of my degree!) so I likely won't be getting much else done.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not as much accomplished on my own writing as I'd hoped; then again, I wrote 5 pages of beta crit on my friend's m/s - and that was just the first chapter.

Current WIP word count: 92,414 out of 100,000
Beta-read friend's novel: 11 pages out of 350

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm exhausted.

I've gone over 13.5k for NaNo in the past five days (though day five has barely started here), which is quite astounding since I had an essay due Monday AND Tuesday AND Wednesday, and the three of those added up to an additional 4.5k. That's a lot of words!

I'm not done with all of my homework for the week, exactly, but at the very least I feel good because any writing I do for the rest of the week can be done because I WANT to and not because I HAVE to. I need to double check but I'm pretty sure I don't have any papers due next week, and I may or may not only have one due the week after that.

I was bummed yesterday because my favorite class got cancelled due to my professor being sick. We were supposed to talk about Archie comics, which I was excited about because I read TONS of Archie as a kid -- my dad bought a lot when he was younger and my mom still buys them for us all on occasion so I've read various issues spread across 3-4 decades. And now we don't get to talk about it. Damn. The GOOD thing that came out of the cancellation is that there was a write-in at the library near my house scheduled for the exact same time as my class, so at the last minute I was able to attend that instead. That was nice. I went from 8.5k to 11,111 words in less than two hours. :tongue

And then I came home and wrote the paper that was due this morning. Cuz, you know, NaNo is far more important than graded papers. *Nods*

ETA: Yep, I have no assignments that aren't Japanese worksheets due until the 17th! Sounds good to me!

~Amber~

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not as much written today as I'd hoped, in spite of a very long dinner break. Fair amount done on the beta-read, but I wish my friend would learn how to punctuate dialogue correctly:

Current WIP word count: 92,864 out of 100,000
Beta-read friend's novel: 48 pages out of 350

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Added references to the short paper, and then edited it about 4 times. This took me just over an hour, and now I'm pretty sure I'm ready to submit it. Woo!

I don't know why I was dreading it so much, because it turned out to be really simple. (Unless I've missed a glaring problem with it...)

Anyway, I may even have time to write the first draft of my creative piece today. :)

ETA: Submitted the short paper. 2 assignments left! 1 giant one, 1 medium one.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Cliff Face! Sounds like you're feeling better, too.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, the "Feel like crap" day the other day was due to a dry heat messing up my nose and eyes, not a cold/flu. :)

So... Today I get to write 3000-3500 words for my literature review essay's first draft. Eek!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Busy day today: makeup design/experimentation session in the a.m., rehearsal following that and still more rehearsal after the dinner break. We officially begin tech tomorrow, so I should have a fair amount of sitting-around time, but there will be a lot of distractions. I got some work done today on the WIP; none at all on the friend's beta; collecting material to write a blog in the next few days and still pegging away at The Shadow of the Wind. When I finish it, I'm going to give myself credit for half a book!

Current WIP word count: 93,462 out of 100,000

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So! I've spent nearly 4.5 hours on this literature review so far today. And all I've done is collect my thoughts / figure out the order of the essay, and then write 1750 words of the body. It's meant to be a 3000-3500 word essay, so I'm at least halfway through the typing... Of course, the body only needs to be about 2400-2800 words, with the rest being introduction and conclusion. So I've got around 700-1000 words left to go on the body...

*flop* I'm exhausted already. At this rate, it'll take me another hour and a half just to finish off the body, let alone the introduction and conclusion! Seriously tempted to step away from it for a while, but I really want to get it done today. Ugh.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, took another hour and a half to finish off the body of this beast. Up to just over 2500 words, which is fine. I'll probably wind up adding to it in edits anyway, so it being a little short isn't a bad thing. Still need to write the introduction and conclusion, and reference list, but I think I'll do that tomorrow.

It's been about 5.5 to 6 hours of homework today... I'm exhausted!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Finally did some writing today. Didn't really have the time, so I only allowed myself about 30 minutes, so I only got about 100 words on my Nano story, but at least it's not at an ugly 0 now. Also got about 1,600 on the rewrite story.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally did some writing today. Didn't really have the time, so I only allowed myself about 30 minutes, so I only got about 100 words on my Nano story, but at least it's not at an ugly 0 now. Also got about 1,600 on the rewrite story.

:hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finally mustered up the enthusiasm to write the introduction and conclusion for the literature review essay. So I added about... 650 words, bringing me to 3150 for the essay total. (It's meant to be between 3000 and 3500, so I'm happy with that. :))

Also copied over my loose referencing system for about 15 references. Just need to do them properly at some point, and after that all I have to do is edit. Hooray!

ETA: Proper referencing done. It's so much easier when I've made sure to get all the relevant information the first time, so the second time I just have to make it all official and stuff. Anyway, that's all I'm doing today.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First day of tech yesterday, and as I expected, i got nothing done. Well, that's not entirely true; I wrote about fifty words of a blog draft. I guess something is better than nuffin' at all.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
So...

For NaNo today is Donation Day/Double Up Day. I took Doubling Up to the extreme and went from having 20012 words this morning to having 40024 right now. It is two hours until midnight and I started around noon and I honestly have NO idea how I pulled that off.

I felt kind of obligated to because I had to post my region's pep talk on the forum today and I encouraged everyone to try to double their word counts today. I felt that if I told everyone else to do it then I should do it too, even if I was ahead of par. Now I am WAY ahead of par, and though my fingers are tired I feel really, really proud of myself for pulling that off. :)

I'm going to rest my fingers and go do homework now...

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Vamp! 20k in one day is ridiculous! Good work. :D

I've done virtually nothing today, but in my defense, I did decide to take the day off. Got to edit the essay tomorrow, but for now, I just got my arse handed to me in a video game. I was doing alright until the level boss showed up... Not enough healing kits!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tech continues. I had a late call and could have worked on my WIP, but decided to write the first in a short series of blogs about what it takes to translate a character like Ursula the Sea Witch from an animated Disney film to the stage.* So I got something written, even if it wasn't my book.

Blog posts: 1 out of 2

*If anyone wants to read "Becoming Ursula, Part 1 - Getting A Head," you can go to my website (link in sig) and look for the link on the right of my homepage.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, today I added 2 paragraphs to my literature review essay, added a reference, and then goofed off for a long time, before doing my first editing pass. I must say, this essay is AWESOME. Like, it read as if I'd edited it 4 or 5 times already, and this was just the first draft. I'm stoked!

I shouldn't have any problem submitting it tomorrow, so I'm going to take the rest of today off. (I already wasted most of the day anyway.)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a little bit written yesterday and am finally closing in on the end of The Shadow of the Wind. Decided that, after starting off doing a line-by-line on my friend's WIP, I'm going to move forward just marking the repeated structural errors - otherwise he won't learn to recognize and correct them himself. That way I can focus on the story instead.

Current WIP word count: 93,898 out of 100,000
Blog posts: 1 out of 2

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
1) Nanowrimo novel 22,582/50000

2) Revise WIP: 57231/76146

3) Book reviews 0/3

I haven't done much revising or reading, but at least my Nano novel is ahead of schedule.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I am hoping that by tomorrow my schedule will be back to normal and I can actually spend real time working on my Nano.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
*If anyone wants to read "Becoming Ursula, Part 1 - Getting A Head," you can go to my website (link in sig) and look for the link on the right of my homepage.
Very cool! And it looks awesome. :)