FebNoWriMo 2015

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear oh dear ohdear.

Arrived in NYC after midnight Tuesday and was thrown in the deep end, so to speak, at rehearsal the next day starting at 9:20 a.m. and finishing up at 6 p.m. Moved into my temporary quarters (pleasant and largely quiet except for the muffled rumble of the subway every 20 minutes or so). Got up at 6:30 today to go over my script and attempt to sort out everything that was thrown at me yesterday. So nothing written; nothing done on any of my goals. The chorus of "oh dears" above are because I just realized I have less than two weeks to finish the short story. I have a day off on Monday; that may be when it HAS to happen.

::head explodes::

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Do Part one of the editing process on this link:
http://hollylisle.com/one-pass-manuscript-revision-from-first-draft-to-last-in-one-cycle/
Then follow part two of the editing process for Part One of the book. I don't know if it is reasonable to expect that I will finish this in February, but I would like to see some effort.
Then write a list of scenes that are missing from Part One.

I just finished the first part and figuring out my themes was harder than it really ought to have been, but I managed; and now, despite having met one of my goals, I am drowning myself in piteous mewlings. You're supposed to use this method on a completed first draft, but I know stuff is missing -- I'm just not completely clear as to what. When I made my goals, I thought it would be better to edit what I have to make it clear as to what was missing. (My failing as a writer is that I often breeze through what I ought to linger on.) But now I'm wondering if I'm being an idiot, if maybe I should focus more on writing, not editing, at this point. I feel like I'm looking for an excuse to get out of something, but I can't tell which thing -- editing or writing -- I am trying to get out of. Also I think maybe nobody is ever going to love me again, and my hair looks particularly awful today.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my life is suddenly more cartoonish than usual.

I drove to my mother's to spend her birthday week with her (she turns 94 next Sunday) and had not even been there six hours when I got a frantic call from a casting director asking me to take over a role in a show, effective IMMEDIATELY. This means I will have to get back on the road today, overnight somewhere along the way, complete the trip home Tuesday, repack and get on a train to NYC at oh-dark-thirty Wednesday morning. I'll only be in NYC for four days (the show will be performed in the DC area, where I live), so I'll actually be back home when I'd originally planned to be - but the difference is that instead of returning from a pleasant trip to a life of placid house-wifery, I'll be in the process of frantically trying to learn a role before the show goes in front of an audience. Hi-diddle-dee-dee, an actor's life for me...

It may be that all my good February intentions may be for naught - but maybe not. I'm going to leave them in place and see what happens. I got just a little written yesterday on the WIP but I really have to focus on finishing the short story since that's on deadline.

Congrats on the role, MrsMig! I'm from NY but living in New England now. I was a theater major doing internships and rehearsals- I totally get where you're coming from! I got ZERO writing done during college if it wasn't for class. Break a leg!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, last night I set up a blog, given that I already had 6 posts' worth of things to put up. (Link in sig.)

And today, I just wrote about 1000 words for my NF WIP. Hooray!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the role, MrsMig! I'm from NY but living in New England now. I was a theater major doing internships and rehearsals- I totally get where you're coming from! I got ZERO writing done during college if it wasn't for class. Break a leg!

Thanks, measure. It's an exciting project - John Kander (of Kander & Ebb) composed the score so there's a lot of interest in it, but with first preview looming ahead, my situation is less than ideal. I'm picking it up fairly quickly, but I'd still rather go home and rest (and maybe even write) at the end of an 8-hour rehearsal day than go home and study lines and music.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
REPRIEVE! REPRIEVE!

For those of us working on our Secret Solstice short stories, the deadline has been pushed to February 28th. I don't know about the rest of you, but this is like a gift straight from heaven for me.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
1. Finish my Secret Solstice story (this has to happen, no matter what by the 1428th)
2. Finish my beta read that I am delinquent on (I promised this would happen this week) - DONE!
3. Edit short and send it back out
4. Work on either H/V1 tweaking, aPB revising, or H/V3 writing.
5. Read 12 more books - 2 down

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Had dinner, and after-dinner editing time with friends yesterday. I didn't get a lot done. I'm the only one who works weekends, and the one who drove an hour to get there. My brain took a long time to engage.

I finished editing chapter 3 on paper, so yay that. I'm about a third of the way through the edit, slow because I simply haven't been doing it. Upside, after a glass of wine, I got a good talk-through on the new idea, and resolved the whodunnit aspect of the next SNI.

Regardless, there was wine, and grilled cheese with tomato soup, and writer-chat. It made for a nice night.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Up early and don't plan to do much today besides writing. Hopefully I'll get a lot done. And I REALLY hope the scenes I write will help me figure out how to fix some problems I've got.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
1. Finish my Secret Solstice story (this has to happen, no matter what by the 1428th)
2. Finish my beta read that I am delinquent on (I promised this would happen this week) - DONE!
4. Work on either H/V1 tweaking, aPB revising, or H/V3 writing. - in progress
5. Read 12 more books - 3 down

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Another chapter edited, and one book read. I feel very slow, but I have plenty of time still. I did get sick again too, which never helps.

Now I really need to throw myself at the Secret Solstice story.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I didn't make make progress last week, unfortunately. I did manage to get the short story revisions done and back to the editor, so that was a plus.

I almost didn't get my last couple of critiques done on time, as I'd confused the time frames. Fortunately I noticed on the last day for a couple of them and just squeaked it in. I really need to get them done in the first week so I don't have to worry about that :tongue

No progress on anything else, though. Hopefully I can change that this week.

measure_in_love

Registered
Reaction score
Going away this coming weekend for a wedding, so I need to get 3,000 words done since I've been slacking ^_^. God help me. Blergh.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Home at last, and with a day off I finally got the chance to do some substantive writing (even though I should have been studying my script). Still need to finish up that short story, but I was crazy to get through the current scene in my WIP, so I concentrated on that instead. Doubt I'll have much writing time as we head into tech and previews, but I'm going to keep plugging away.

Finish first draft of WIP: 113,456 out of ?????
Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 2,865 words out of ????
Read two books: 0 out of 2
Write one blog post: 0 out of 1

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
After a few days of not writing, I've just written about 850 words, bringing my NF WIP to 8.5k. Woo! Just one small section left, so probably the first draft will be under 10k. :)

measure_in_love

Registered
Reaction score
making progress! it took longer than I would like to admit, but I did push my word count up to 17,000 words today. 2,000-3,000 more words to be done by Saturday.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
4. Work on either H/V1 tweaking, aPB revising, or H/V3 writing. - finished H/V1
5. Read 12 more books - 3 down

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote 700-ish words for the NF WIP, finishing the first draft at 9.2k. Woo! :D

I started it 13 days ago, so it's about 700 words per day, though I had several days of no writing in there. Hopefully when I start in on the next project, I'll have a higher words-per-day count. :)

I'm sure I'll add words to this NF book in edits.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a really rough time. Trying to make my plot stronger, but nothing's working, for one reason or another. Of course there HAS to be something that can work, BUT I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT! :fist in the air as I roar at the clouds: Can't move forward without getting this solved.

I had an ebook that had a similar setup, but it's in the computer that died and therefore I can't use it to get ideas. :(

Last edited:

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
1. Write 1,000 words a day in my WIP until it is finished (I'm very close to the end)--I should be at 10k words by this point, and I'm only at around 7.5k, but that means I'm only 2.5k short of where I should be. I can easily make that up if I just go a little over the next few days.
2. Finish beta-ing a book I've had for months DONE
3. Read 4 books Finished one, and I'm almost done with a second

Phew! Not bad for it not even being half way through the month yet!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a scrap of writing done for the last several days as we are in tech for this show and if I'm not on stage every spare minute is spent studying script and score and trying to remember the staging for a tap number that seems to change every time we do it. I do, however, read for a bit before I go to bed, and finished a book last night. So that's some progress. I usually keep my computer at my station in the dressing room and try to work when I have down time - but down time is practically nonexistent in this show.

We rehearse through Sunday and then have a day off before we plunge into preview week, where we'll rehearse during the day and perform at night. I'm hoping to finish my short story on that day off.

Finish first draft of WIP: 113,456 out of ?????
Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 2,865 words out of ????
Read two books: 1 out of 2
Write one blog post: 0 out of 1

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Considering I finished writing that draft early in the month, I'm adding 2 new goals for February.

1. Finish re-reading The Black Book (an old half-written WIP) so that I can finish writing it soon.
2. Edit the nonfiction book.

Up to page 17 of 77 (Word, single-spaced pages) on the re-read. :)