FebNoWriMo 2015

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Lost a weekend and more to a work trip. It will be a good 40 hours of OT, which I can't complain about. (the "losing my whole weekend" I kinda can...)

This means I got almost zero writing done, and I missed class and homework. This week was a total goal-fail, but otherwise pretty cool.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not doing super well on my goals this month...specifically my editing goals. I think I a) made a somewhat unattainable goal and b) picked an editing process that is not an exceptional fit for me. I'm using Holly Lisle's one step process. It has a lot of editing value, but I feel like there are some things it's not helping me to address. For example, Lisle asks you to consider if you've written a complete scene in your chapter...and oftentimes I have, but from the wrong viewpoint, or focusing on the wrong details. I feel like a complete neophyte at this (which I guess I am, ha ha.) Anyway, I need to come up with a solution, and figure out how to approach editing, and I'm not sure what that solution is.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
My preferred editing method is as follows:

1. Read the entire chapter as a reader, not editing anything.
2. Go back to the start of the chapter, and edit and/or rewrite entire sections that didn't seem to work quite right on the first read-through.
3. Read the chapter again, fixing up any small issues like spelling and grammar.
4. Move onto the next chapter. Repeat as necessary.

Granted, this won't help with large-scale story problems. Or rather, it can help, but you need to identify the large-scale problems before you start doing this technique.

Hope that helps. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Added about 250 words to the nonfiction book, as an author's note to start the book. Hopefully I'll find the enthusiasm to edit what was already written soon, but probably not today, as I'm going out in about an hour.

ETA: Up to page 52 of 77 in that re-read, which happens to be the start of Part Two (it's a two-part book). So quite possibly the book will wind up being about 100 pages or so, once I've finished writing it.

Last edited:

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Progress report. :)

*Keep up with schoolwork (of course) Check -- though I've had a couple close calls
*Write at least 5k of non-school anything even if it's just journaling. Or random letters. Just writing. Nope.
*Read 5 books 3/5
*Review at least 1 book Nope.
*Complete 5 DayZero goals 1/5 with a couple in progress
*Finish scholarship applications 1/3 -- I have a few more essays to write but I have more pressing schoolwork to do first
*Finish upgrading my computer so I can play games Fuck yeah! :D I even managed to PLAY said games too!

I FINALLY finished upgrading my laptop yesterday and I spent a chunk of my morning playing BioShock. Right now I'm trying to ignore my 4.5-year-old laptop that's behaving like I just bought it yesterday in order to get my homework for the week done instead. My excuse for not touching the computer is I'm attempting to download Alice: Madness Returns and it's only 2.5GB downloaded so far (out of like 6.9GB) and I'm telling myself that playing [offline] games will slow down my download. Or something. So I should do homework instead.

Anyways, not bad so far. I'm actually getting a lot done. :)

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I was just talking about Alice: Madness Returns yesterday, in another thread! It's on my "Must buy" list, though I've never played it (and couldn't get the original to work properly). Looks suitably weird. :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
:) I tested Potato-Boyfriend's PS3 version before I bought it and it was really fun. I bought it in December for $5 while Steam was having their annual holiday sale, but I didn't download it at the time because I knew I'd just be swapping my HD for an SSD within a week or so (or would at least be attempting to and then leaving my poor laptop sitting on the floor half-upgraded for a month and a half...), so I decided to wait until after I finished the upgrade because I knew with school I wouldn't have much time to play it and it'd just be another 7 GB I'd have to transfer. I'm excited for it. :) Potato has been attempting to get the original to work on my tablet in the meantime (which is kind of a joke for gaming, though I still have Steam installed so I can play a few games that are less space-consuming), but I think we're going to be trying to get it on my laptop now that it's fully functional again.

~Amber~

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
1. Edit Secret Solstice Story Progress made; more needed
2. Edit four chapters of WIP 2/4
3. Edit two other stories .8/2
4. Read four books. 2/4
5. Either minimum 500 words OR two edited pages per day. Tick so far

Except... one of those books was Pride and Prejudice, so I don't think it counts. Last year, after discovering I read P&P twice in one month, I decided I had to read 25 new books before I could reread anything. I read 26; then I read P&P again :p

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished a book I started in January, so I'm only giving myself half a point for it (1913: The Year Before The Storm - quite interesting). Next up is the newest collection of Neil Gaiman short stories (Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances), which I'm excited about.

Finish first draft of WIP: 113,456 out of ?????
Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 2,865 words out of ????
Read two books: 1.5 out of 2
Write one blog post: 0 out of 1

Last edited:

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Instead of writing, I gave my computer some TLC with virus, startup, and registry cleaning, which fixed my "explorer.exe won't work" problem. It loads to desktop without going through task manager now.

But I really wish I didn't feel so guilty for time I could have spent writing.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had the day off from rehearsal today (which I desperately needed) and for most of the day was too damned tired to do anything. Later in the day I got up a little head of steam and got some words written on my short story. Progress is being made at last.

Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 3,331 words out of ????

It's been snowing lightly but steadily all day. Although we can't spare the time, part of me is hoping desperately for a day off rehearsal tomorrow.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Up to page 62 of 77 on the re-read of that old WIP. Of course, given that it's a sequel to a book I heavily edited, there's one little factoid that I need to check for consistency in book 1... Which is about 90+ pages itself. And I can't remember where, exactly, this factoid would be located.

So yeah. I need to re-read book 1 before I edit book 2, but I suppose I can finish writing book 2 before that.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the re-read. Hooray! There's probably about 18k left to go on this story, so I doubt I'll get it all done this month, but I'm hoping to start in on finishing it soon.

Still haven't edited the NF book, though. Haven't been in the right mood.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
February has not been a good month for my goals. I think I made the wrong goals, honestly.

Editing continues to be my big challenge; I feel like editor's block is a real thing. I see a page and I think, I don't even know where to begin to rescue this drivel. I think part of my problem is not that the work sucks so badly, but that I wrote about the wrong things. I have three characters (two parents and a child), one of whom is having problems with everybody (the father) but a lot of my chapters are scenes between the two that have a fine relationship. I'll keep them around in case I'm wrong about this, but I think I've neglected to write the interesting bits of the story, the real conflict that occurs.

Why did I do that? I'm so dumb!

Also I haven't been reading much because I finished Game of Thrones, and I hated it so much that I think I may never want to read again. I picked up a book that I've read before and I am dragging myself through it, and I can't talk myself into putting it down because I want to say I finished reading at least one book this month.

I hate everything.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got a wee bit done on my short story the other day, but spare time is hard to come by. We have been rehearsing five hours a day and then performing at night, so even though this is a short show and I get home considerably earlier than I did for my last production, I'm too brain-dead to do much. I have part of a day off Monday (the other part is a rehearsal for my NEXT production) and will have a bit less rehearsal for the current production during the week, so I'm praying time and inspiration will hit at the same time and I'll get the short story done by its 2/28 deadline.

Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 3,672 words out of ????

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the re-read. Hooray! There's probably about 18k left to go on this story, so I doubt I'll get it all done this month, but I'm hoping to start in on finishing it soon

Yay! Congrats on getting the reread done. Make detailed notes so you know where you're at when you come back to it. (seriously, learned that one from experience...)

February has not been a good month for my goals. I think I made the wrong goals, honestly.

Editing continues to be my big challenge; I feel like editor's block is a real thing. I see a page and I think, I don't even know where to begin to rescue this drivel. I think part of my problem is not that the work sucks so badly, but that I wrote about the wrong things. I have three characters (two parents and a child), one of whom is having problems with everybody (the father) but a lot of my chapters are scenes between the two that have a fine relationship. I'll keep them around in case I'm wrong about this, but I think I've neglected to write the interesting bits of the story, the real conflict that occurs.

Why did I do that? I'm so dumb!

I've done exactly that. A book I beta read did a fair amount of just that too. It happens to everyone at some point, I think. You have some of the book, a start, a finish, some middle, and you've read all of that through, right? You can make a big list of all the things that are supposed to be in there (also, you can sum up the scenes that you have in one or two lines) and basically plot it in reverse. It helps because you know what you're missing based on what you have.

Breathe! it's okay. You can totally fix this, and if you decide there's too much fixing, you can say you've learned from this!

(Also, I read the first three ASOIAF books, and hated each one more than the last. Took me ages to get past that hate to watch the show, and I very much enjoy that.)

My life has been work and robots. I really need to get back to my book. The closest I've gotten is in-head plotting of the SNI. This is just pathetic now.

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Update:

1. Write 1,000 words a day in my WIP until it is finished. I've been averaging about half this, so I have a little over 10k written for the month instead of 20k. Oh well. At least it's more progress than I have been making lately.
2. Finish beta-ing a book I've had for months DONE
3. Read 4 books DONE--Read 6 so far this month

So it looks like I'm doing great for goals except my writing goals, which is actually the most important. Le sigh.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Congrats on getting the reread done. Make detailed notes so you know where you're at when you come back to it. (seriously, learned that one from experience...)

Oh, I'll be diving into finishing writing it very soon, so I don't think I need copious notes. Fortunately, being a comedy, it's not actually that complicated. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
1. Finish my Secret Solstice story (this has to happen, no matter what by the 1428th) - First draft done
2. Finish my beta read that I am delinquent on - DONE!
3. Edit short and send it back out
4. Work on either H/V1 tweaking, aPB revising, or H/V3 writing. - tweaked H/V1, did 2 passes on H/V2, and am writing H/V3, BAM!
5. Read 12 more books - 7 down

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I've revised through chapter 4. That puts me right about halfway, and my goal for the month was to have them all edited and applied. That seems unlikely now. I admit, I think I might be able to make a real dent, but I'm having such a BIC issue.

CH 5 should be pretty quick (I think. I say now...) so maybe I can bang that out this weekend? I keep forgetting where the real mess starts.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I've done exactly that. A book I beta read did a fair amount of just that too. It happens to everyone at some point, I think. You have some of the book, a start, a finish, some middle, and you've read all of that through, right? You can make a big list of all the things that are supposed to be in there (also, you can sum up the scenes that you have in one or two lines) and basically plot it in reverse. It helps because you know what you're missing based on what you have.

Breathe! it's okay. You can totally fix this, and if you decide there's too much fixing, you can say you've learned from this!

Thank you!

I just freaked out because I don't want to be endlessly writing/rewriting this book, but I think I just need to accept this and move on. Also I think the scenes that need to be written are going to be harder to write, and that I've been avoiding them for that reason. Gah.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I've got to agree with Coffee here. And even if the new scenes are harder to write, they'll be worth their weight in gold if they make the book publishable. I mean, writing some hard scenes is still less work than writing an entirely new book, which is what you'd probably wind up doing if you scrapped this project because it wasn't working properly.

So yeah. Keep at it. You can do this. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Played guitar just a bit ago, and I'm improving. However, one of my month's goals (to record some guitar music that doesn't suck) might still be out of reach... I'm just not consistent enough when playing. I have moments where it sounds awesome, and these moments might even last 10 or so seconds, but then I lose the thread.

*sigh*

I'm assuming I won't actually achieve that goal. Not this month, at least.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Cliff, even if the scenes are harder to write, they're going to be worth it (regardless of publishing) because you're there and you wrote the parts of it you'd planned to.

Also, YMMV but I thought I was "avoiding" scenes too, that they were going to be much more difficult, and when I came up face to face, I'd struggle. Turns out, they were not any harder than an average scenes, and maybe a little easier, because at least I knew exactly what I wanted to see in them.

Either way, go get 'em, Tiger!