AprNoWriMo 2015 (not to be confused with the Camp thread)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The combination of busy and tired is making it hard to write. I did finish a book of short stories I started last month, so I'm giving myself half a credit for it. Feeling a bit glum but after a solid two days of no time to write, I have several hours all to myself today and MUST get busy. I'm so far behind on my Camp goals.

Write 30k words for Camp - 854 out of 30,000
Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series - 0 of 1
Write a blog post - 0 of 1
Read two books - .5 of 2

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally made some headway today. Since I finished the book of short stories, I treated myself to Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes.

Write 30k words for Camp - 2426 out of 30,000
Read two books - .5 of 2

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I loved Mr. Mercedes! :D I'm excited for Finders Keepers... I hope you're enjoying it. :)

I'm still adjusting to leaving around 7 in the morning and getting home when it's still light outside. It's really weird. I have actual time to do that homework thing AFTER I get home. And I DON'T have to sacrifice basic functions like cooking and cleaning and showering in order to do it.

I went back to my hometown over the weekend for a memorial service for one of my high school teachers who passed away over spring break. It was pretty rough. Then I spent the rest of the weekend petting my kitties and having dinner with the grandparents (which ended with Nana stating that she'll be paying for around half of my study abroad trip this summer, which was a bit of a shock...)

I finished the rather lengthy university awards application (so many essays...), and I finally finished my research so I could piece together an agenda for the honor society meeting I've been planning. Just waiting to hear back from Mr. New-President who has been busy and slow at getting back to me... There were like three of us trying to plan meetings at once and I was kind of delegated the duty of getting us all on the same page because I had the closest thing to a real meeting agenda prepared, and it's going slowly...

I want to read. I want to sleep. I'm not sure which desire is going to overpower the other just yet.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just wrote 3156 words, for a total of 12,384. :D

Still haven't begun editing Black Book, but I'm glad to be getting some real writing done again, after so many days of nothing.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
918 words tonight

ETA: Did I say 918? I did say 918. It was 927! woo!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
872 words for me. I'd really like to hit 1k words a day, but it's been a struggle just to get that much written.

Write 30k words for Camp - 3272 out of 30,000
Read two books - .5 of 2

On the up side, I'm enjoying Mr. Mercedes thus far. And I did another update to my website, although not a blog post.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
So far, a great big fat ZERO.

I'm not even really doing AprNoWriMo. I've never done NaNo because I tend to keep a pretty regular schedule anyway. I was going to use this month as a motivator to get some serious work done in both revisions and part of a new WIP.

Not good so far, but it's early. I had to deal with a job interview/offer/withdrawal and a lot of angst last week so that's finally cleared and off I go today! I'm not really doing word count goals because it's hard to match them to revisions, but basically I badly need this MS revised by the end of April, so that's my target.

Good luck to all of you, and have fun!

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
1011 words tonight! More than 100 words beyond my daily goal!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I had a lot of downtime during my holiday, but I have no idea what I did during it. I read only one book (I did start a couple of others, but they're now on the other side of the country :p). I did some writing, but not really much editing.

I'm going to have a lot of catching up to do in this second half of April!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had two very good writing days in a row but today it's going to be hard to find the time. My current show is performing in the National Cherry Blossom Festival, which means it's still dark outside but I'm already up getting ready. Then I have a 2 pm matinee, followed by dinner with a friend, followed by an 8 pm performance. I'm going to be doing a lot of waiting around at the parade but don't feel comfortable bringing my laptop with me. And naturally I'm at a place in the story where Something Crucial and Fun to Write is about to happen...

Write 30k words for Camp - 5217 out of 30,000
Read two books - .5 of 2

Still enjoying Mister Mercedes, but I think it was kind of cheap of Mr. King to work brief mentions of his previous books (including the fact that one was a mini-series) into the narrative. C'mon, Stephen, we already knowyou're a bestselling author...

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As anticipated, yesterday was a bust as far as writing went. I did get a couple hundred words written between shows, and am halfway through Mr. Mercedes (I was grateful to have my Kindle while we waited around to make our parade appearance).

Write 30k words for Camp - 5629 out of 30,000
Read two books - .5 of 2

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
Thought I'd had a better approach for the WIP than what I'd tried for NaNo last year. Got about 5000 words into it and wasn't really feeling it; went back to the NaNo version, and realized it was better. So. Well, that's over my 40,000-word goal for the month (yeah, I know it doesn't count).

NaNo version needed some serious organization, though, and even Scrivener wasn't helping me. I sat down with a pen and paper, drew a bunch of arrows, and came up with a complete storyline broken down by scene (with a "this happens, therefore the MC does this" approach, keeping in mind his personality and the end goal of the story. Bonus, about 90% of the NaNo scenes can stay, just in a very different order than they are currently). So, very little scene-writing this month (none that I'm going to keep, anyway), but now that I have a complete outline and I know what I'm doing with it, I'm much more confident about it.

So I guess my goal is to finish this draft. Should be 15k-18k words (my first drafts tend to come in around 65k words, final drafts are around 90k).

Lucid

'ello beastie
Registered
Reaction score
I want to take part! I'm pretty behind, and only just started my novel around Wednesday (I think?). I'm trying to make sure I at least write a little every single day, no matter what. I didn't realize we were already nearly halfway through April. I really thought March just ended.

I'm just going to shoot for 20k by the end of the month.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in (my writing week starts on Sunday). My week goal is 4500 words, I hope to do it in five days, at an average 900w/day. Tonight I did 659w, which is big numbers for me for a Sunday. (Previous week was about 200, the week before less than 100). We'll see. If it takes me 6 days to make my goal, that's ok.

Wishing everyone a productive week! Let the words flow!!!

ETA: After I stopped counting I wrote lots of additional words in one document. I passed my goal tonight. 920 words tonight!!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to take part! I'm pretty behind, and only just started my novel around Wednesday (I think?). I'm trying to make sure I at least write a little every single day, no matter what. I didn't realize we were already nearly halfway through April. I really thought March just ended.

I'm just going to shoot for 20k by the end of the month.

Welcome! And ain't it the truth about how fast this month is going!

I got another couple hundred words written yesterday between shows and finished Mister Mercedes late last night (like most Stephen King books, it's a fast, fun read, but I found it kind of predictable). Today is my day off and I'd love to just sit and write, but it's beautiful outside and I'd love a nice long walk with my birding binoculars and a camera...

Write 30k words for Camp - 6,103 out of 30,000
Read two books - 1.5 of 2

Lucid

'ello beastie
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! And ain't it the truth about how fast this month is going!

Thank you!

I wrote 1001 words today, putting me at 6821. I may or may not get to write more. My TV shows are on tonight. And while I still have some time before that happens (and dinner), I'm at a place requiring a big reaction from a character, so I'm taking a short break to muse on how that should go.

I might not pick it up again until after work tomorrow.

Magnificent Bastard

maybe a demon
Registered
Reaction score
Well, hi. I realised this April thing has been a thing already for a few weeks and it might be time for me to actually start writing.

My goal for April is to work on my novelettes. Adding at least 5000 words to each The Woods and Fane, and at least starting either I, the Apocalypse or Rule of the Roles.

They're all working titles. So thinking up proper ones is one of my goals this month as well.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Decent writing day - just over 1k words pecked out in between chores and a 4-mile walk (it was so beautiful outside that I just had to get out, particularly after being cooped up all week).

Since I finished the King novel, I treated myself to T.H. White's The Goshawk. Should make a nice change of pace.

And I have to add another goal to my list below - my agent has submitted my fantasy novel to a publisher who wants to see an outline of the entire series. So I've got to get that done in the next few days.

Write 30k words for Camp - 7,171 out of 30,000
Read two books - 1.5 of 2
Write outline of fantasy series for agent - 0 of 1

Lucid

'ello beastie
Registered
Reaction score
And I have to add another goal to my list below - my agent has submitted my fantasy novel to a publisher who wants to see an outline of the entire series. So I've got to get that done in the next few days.

That's a pretty nice day, even though it's Monday.