AprNoWriMo 2015 (not to be confused with the Camp thread)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
... my agent has submitted my fantasy novel to a publisher who wants to see an outline of the entire series...

^ wow! That's awesome!

I wrote 1079 words today, ~600 of new fiction, ~490 transcribing information from a scholarly book into a file that is the 'backbone'/'rough draft' of a section of a non-fiction book I'm working on.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Missed the deadline on the short story contest, however I'm doing great with my revision.

64% done.

2949 words tonight.

This second half of the book is a complete rewrite, because I have to tell it from a different POV.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
^ wow! That's awesome!

Thanks. I wish I felt as enthused; the publisher specializes in YA, which my series is not, and I think as soon as they see the outline, they'll say "whoops, sorry, our mistake, no thanks." But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Lucid

'ello beastie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 7633 today - only 812 words since yesterday.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
~1290 words today, ~400 of them fiction, the rest continuing the transcription for my non-fiction book.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Had my university graduation today, so today I don't really care if I write or not. The past 4 days, I wish I'd been more productive, however... But eh. The month is only halfway through. There's still time. :)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not as much written yesterday as I'd hoped, but I did get the "outline" done for the series. I putzed around with it for an hour or so, trying to follow my agent's suggestion of a descriptive paragraph or two for each book. That proved pretty difficult - so I finally distilled each book's plot down to a single sentence (an interesting exercise) and fired that off to the agent. It may come bouncing back, but for now I'm calling it done.

Write 30k words for Camp - 7,692 out of 30,000
Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series - 0 of 1
Write a blog post - 0 of 1
Read two books - 1.5 of 2
Write outline of fantasy series for agent - 1 of 1 COMPLETED

Lucid

'ello beastie
Registered
Reaction score
Only 660 words yesterday. I'm now at 8293. I'm going to try to write 1500 after work today to make up for the two poor days in a row!

eta: I think I will just try to hit 10k today rather than 1500, as 1500 would put me just 300 short of the 10k mark!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another annoyingly unproductive day yesterday. I had an 11 AM phone conference scheduled, so I wanted to wait until that was done to begin. 11 AM came and went, so I dropped an email to the caller. Hubs wanted to go to lunch together so we did that; my conference call person called while we were driving the half-hour to the Very Special Burger place my husband had chosen, so we rescheduled for 4 PM. Conference took just under an hour and then I had to get ready for my evening show. So...day shot full of holes. I'm amazed I got anything done at all.

Write 30k words for Camp - 8,382 out of 30,000

Lucid

'ello beastie
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I made it to 10k today, just barely. Interrupted by phone calls, kids and dinner! I'm at 10,125 words, which is 1832 words today. I think the last 300 words are probably awful, but that's okay for now.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had all day to myself yesterday, but it was so beautiful outside that I just had to go for a walk. I went to our local botanical gardens, which was swarming with people taking photos, but I was able to get off the beaten track a bit and have a little quiet time. I'm behind on my Camp goals but sometimes you just gotta feed your soul a bit.

Write 30k words for Camp - 9,229 out of 30,000

Lucid

'ello beastie
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a whole 220 words yesterday, putting me at 10,345. Things were going along well enough until I wrote myself into a mini corner. Now I'm stuck pondering things, and not sure if I'll get much further over the weekend.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My show closes tonight and I have a bit of down-time coming up, so I'm hopeful the muse will be cooperative and I can get some substantive writing work done before the end of the month. I have a quick trip to visit my Mom the 25th-28th, and I have to start writing my one-woman show coming up mid-May, but those (and months of neglected housework) are the only must-do things on my calendar. I'm so far behind with Camp that I'm not sure I'll make goal, but I'm going to keep plugging.

Write 30k words for Camp - 10,689 out of 30,000

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I made my goal last week of 4500 words (beat it by a bit) but I'm less than satisfied because I 'cheated'. Only about half of it was WIP words, the other half was transcription of material for a non-fiction book. This week I hope to get closer with my WIP goals, and to keep up the transcription rate.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
mrsmig, I am in awe that you manage to do as much as you do. You never seem to have any spare time!

as for me. hm.

1. Edit 4 UF Chapters 1/4 and I've started another, so it is not 0

2. Edit 1 Short Story done some edits, got some feedback, and now I'm stuck. The feedback from 2/3 is basically 'I don't see any of this unkindness/ I don't understand why she does this/etc' - I actually deleted a lot of stuff because I felt it was too heavy-handed :s (the final person got it all, but he likes subtlety and pointed out I do tend to underwrite)

Short version: editing is hard

3. Write A Decent Amount of Contemp Romance (I'll know a decent amount when I see it). There has been an amount; will decide if decent later ;p

4. Read 6 books. 1/6. Yeah, really need to work on that. I've stared blankly out of windows instead of reading on trains of late.

5. Edit 2 pages OR 500 words a day. Have not yet failed!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
mrsmig, I am in awe that you manage to do as much as you do. You never seem to have any spare time!

Thanks, Tamlyn. I needed to hear something encouraging, as I managed only a pitiful 79 words yesterday. I'm performing at a special event tonight and forgot we had to rehearse for it between shows yesterday, which ate up the time I usually allot to writing. And today I'm called to rehearse for the event at the venue at 2 PM and will be stuck there all day. I'm bringing my laptop in hopes that I'll be able to find a quiet nook so I can work. My Camp goal looks less and less attainable. :(

Write 30k words for Camp - 10,768 out of 30,000

Lucid

'ello beastie
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure exactly how it breaks down but I wrote about 1423 words today and yesterday (mostly today). I'm at 11,768 now. I switched from writing full sentences to writing a more script-like kind of thing. It seems to be going much faster this way. Since it will be rewritten more than once anyway, I'm just eager to get the plot out for now.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Tamlyn. I needed to hear something encouraging, as I managed only a pitiful 79 words yesterday. I'm performing at a special event tonight and forgot we had to rehearse for it between shows yesterday, which ate up the time I usually allot to writing. And today I'm called to rehearse for the event at the venue at 2 PM and will be stuck there all day. I'm bringing my laptop in hopes that I'll be able to find a quiet nook so I can work. My Camp goal looks less and less attainable. :(

Write 30k words for Camp - 10,768 out of 30,000
Still better than me! I wrote 0 words over the last three days. Sorry to my fellow cabinmates. Yikes.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still better than me! I wrote 0 words over the last three days. Sorry to my fellow cabinmates. Yikes.

I feel the same way - if it was just a personal goal I could shrug it off, but pulling down the stats for the cabin makes me feel guilty and sad.

I did get a wee bit done yesterday in spite of my whacked-out schedule, and other than having to take my car to the shop today, I have nothing else on my to-do list and my husband is out of the house at a meeting all day (he usually works from home). So my day is all mine. ::rubs hands together in glee::

Write 30k words for Camp - 10,974 out of 30,000

http://www.absolutewrite.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
My anemia took a dive this month, so I turned into a walking zombie with little work done. My energy has been quickly returning the last few days, and I'm back to my 2k days. I was too out of it to even remember what I wrote or edited earlier this month, so eff it, I'm starting fresh.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a decent writing day yesterday - finished a scene and got to an even 12k words overall. Tomorrow I'm going to be stuck on a bus most of the day (I have an audition in NYC, which will probably take all of 10 minutes, but it's a 5-hour trip each way). The upside is that the bus has WiFi and even if it doesn't, I can still write. Just means I'll have to lug my laptop all over midtown Manhattan. I swear the next one is going to be lighter.

I'm also very close to finishing The Goshawk and will probably treat myself to a new Kindle book for the long day tomorrow.

Write 30k words for Camp - 12,000 out of 30,000

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Not much progress on my CampNano novel, but I did finish some other things.

• I noticed I had a major academic writing deadline coming up on May 4, so I had to get cracking. I started on Tuesday, and I've added about 5k so far. Mind you, not all of it's good, and a lot will have to be checked and spell-checked, but I have that every time. I need to get my thoughts cleared first. It's now at roughly 27k, and I still have some things to add and some sections to expand upon.
  • I wrote 2k in a new chapter book series I'm working on. This book will probably end up being 6-8k, so I'm in one third or one fourth of the book. Heh. It needs some cleaning up though. It's still on grade level 4-5 in terms of readability, and I need to bring that down to level 3.
  • I finished the first round of edits for my chapter book "Grave Error". Waiting to hear back from the editor.
  • Finished going through the proofread document for "Reflected". It's now ready and formatted, and my author copies are already on the way from the publisher.
  • I wrote 2k in a MG Supernatural novel, and finished the outline for this book. It'll be so much fun to write.
  • I've kept up (mostly) with the Blogging A to Z Challenge this month. YAY.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good writing day. I backed up the WIP three different ways (Dropbox, hard drive, flash drive) so if for some reason I can't access the WiFi on the Bolt Bus to NYC and back tomorrow, I can still work. Also finished The Goshawk - not bad, but not one of my favorite T.H. White books. So that's another month goal completed. I bought a book of Terry Pratchett short stories and another short work for on-the-bus reading tomorrow.

Write 30k words for Camp - 13,185 out of 30,000
Read two books - 2.5 of 2 COMPLETED

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to write on the bus yesterday was harder than I anticipated. There are no seat-back trays, so I had to hold the computer in my lap. The WiFi was spotty and weak and didn't want to work with my Dropbox files, so I was glad I'd backed up the m/s on both my hard drive and a flash drive. Subsequently I fell just short of 1k words and it made me very cranky. I finished the short non-fiction book I bought (The Secrets of Carriage H by Andrew Rosenheim) and started the Pratchett short stories on the way home, but was so uncomfortable I couldn't concentrate - my seat mate kept twitching and poking me in the side with his elbow, and he stank of cologne into the bargain.

The audition went well, though - should hear something in the next week if I got it.

Write 30k words for Camp - 14,011 out of 30,000
Read two books - 2.5 of 2 COMPLETED

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I want to make a deadline for May 31. Twice this week I wrote over 1000 words in a day. I know that's not a big deal for a lot of people here, but it's totally new ground for me. I wrote over 3000 words this week. I think that's the first time I've ever done this much.