• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

lolabelle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking that I really love writing and would give almost anything to quit my current career and just do this. Also, while cutting down the draft of my manuscript, I've really struggled trying to determine what I think is good and what I think is bad. So much frustration.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to bring dramatic tension to a scene where the ant & protag are checking off a consignment of t-shirts together.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Rolling right along these days. Finished the story I've been talking about lately yesterday, so going to sit on that for a few days before I start editing. In the meantime I wrote a new article for the website in my sig and emailed it to the webmaster. Waiting on his response.

I wasn't planning on doing this today but I just started my new story as well. Same setting/main characters as the previous one. I hope there's a market for short story series. If not well I'm sure having fun writing them. Worse case, I put them on my blog, if I ever get around to updating it that is.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering how long it will take for my book to actually be ready to get...ahem...published. I'm hoping sometime this year!

ExitTheKing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started outlining a novel that I'm really excited to get to working on. Just one problem. I start a new semester on Monday, and I know this is going to be a rough one.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
The immense amount of research I am going to do for two epic fantasy novels. I normally write by the seat of my pants,but for these two books,I want everything to be just right.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I realised today that i have no scenes planned that don't include the MC.

Its third person. Not sure it matters.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Finished up the second chapter in book two last night, but need to do some research on ships used along the Danube in the 15th century. Getting some kind of an ideer, but need to find more info.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
About to start the fifth rewrite, but with no clue at all how to go about it without just repeating the same mistakes as all the other lousy drafts.

Thecla

Imagine a story
Registered
Reaction score
Starting a new book. I have people, places but no plot... In the past winging it and then rewriting has got me through but this time it's like wading through treacle.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Having a hard time sinking into the POV of one of my MCs. He's so different from most of the characters I've written -- which is fun, but also challenging. It's almost like trying to get a teenage boy to talk about his feelings to get anything at all out of this dude! :)

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to find the right words to evoke the correct emotion for my first chapter, trying not to write in a confusing manner & trying not to forget fancy words when I need to use them:crazy:

Reaction score
I don't think my desired WIP novel should be my first, yet a young, hot Molly Ringwald is tempting me from the bed with her short, yellow blouse (with a panda logo on the left breast) and panties. Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" is playing in the background, and its raining outside the window. The room is illuminated from the neon and the lights of flying cars outside. I'm fully dressed in my pants and buttoned-up shirt, and in my palm is a glass of soda water spiked with "moodies". My Ray-Ban Wayfarers are tilted slightly down over the bridge of my nose. Molly gets out of the bed and seductively meanders towards me. She adjusts the Wayfarers on my head so that my sight is darkened, yet her almost alien beauty remains. Our lips lock... and the "moodies" take effect. Darkness.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Relative to my WIP, I keep thinking, what would I want to read next, see happen next? I'm writing in fits and starts. This is totally foreign; I've never written this way before. I always knew the story, knew how it was going to unfold, how it was going to end. Not this time.

Last edited:

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
This is a much better story, but I still have no fucking clue what's going to happen next.

More fun to write though. Well, as fun as an alcoholic mother and a depressed adult daughter can be. So not much fun.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I'm in the same boat as the rest of y'all, not sure where to start chapter three and where to take it. I guess I'll just start writing and see where it goes from there. I'm starting to get into 'I have no clue territory', my MC is about to head into war and I have no idea how to go into it since I don't know that much about war. Research time.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
WIP is stuck. Damn. Well, I don't have time to work on it right now. But there it is, eating away at my brain, making me tense, while I try to concentrate on other things.

Shiloh

The Squid
Registered
Reaction score
Deciding to cut a chunk off the opening and start way later, trying to flesh out how that will effect everything.