• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Today I vowed not to write anything relative to myself.

:roll:

Thinking about the question, Would you rather be commercially or critically successful? I answered it before. Today I'm thinking, fuck writing unique, nifty stuff. Clearly, what you write isn't gonna be widely accepted, why shoot yourself in the foot? Give the masses what they want.

ETA: That's me, prostrate with manufactured grief. I gotta hop off that pity potty. Go for a ride, maybe.

Last edited:

Violets

Registered
Reaction score
Everything I write seems good, then I read it and it's crap. I think my actual writing voice is bad, but it's not really something that's easy to change. :(
Oh well, I'll probably be all cheery about it tomorrow.

scribofelidae

New(ish) kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
scribofelidae.wordpress.com
Evening shifts in customer support are perfect for writing while at work. Don't tell my boss.

Though, one angry customer and it's hard to continue writing.

Second-last job was at a call center. Ahh, when we had availability between calls (we called it cheese) I got a lot of writing done -- wrote scenes longhand, dialogue, filled many a notebook there guilt free while on the company time.

Honestly? The ONLY way to stay sane.

I hear ya bout the angry customers. Get out if you can. Make it happen. It has to be one of the most demoralizing and dehumanizing jobs out there. The shit I've had said to me is awful. But, story rejections? Cotton candy. :tongue

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
I'm about at that point where I always seem to freeze in my tracks & I need to push past it and continue.

The 15,000 word mark is the point where I usually freeze up. It's like I'm driving with a fogged-up windshield up until then and suddenly, as I pass the 15K mile marker, it clears up and I realize that I'm headed somewhere I don't even want to go.

Frustrating, but usually those first 15K just fly by so it isn't as if I've wasted tons of writing "gas" to get there. Still, it seems to be the only way I figure out whether a story will work or not - these little "test drives" if you will.

As far as my current project goes, I'm uber-excited about it! It's a menage SFF romance and I'm having lots of fun with it so far. Doing lots of world-building and daydreaming about this or that scene, so my head is very much in the clouds these days. Gawd, I've missed this!*

*Was super-bummed about my writing for quite a long time so I'm glad to be (far as I can tell) back in the groove of things.

Last edited:

amy--amy

Registered
Reaction score
I've written almost 1500 words today, so I'm quite proud of myself.

My goal is to get at least 40 000 words on this WIP, then I'll be happy. I've never written that many words on one novel/novella. 5 000 more words and I'll be there!

Sochitelya

Crankypants
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to see I've matured enough to take harsh crit of my writing without a knee-jerk response of, 'Well, what do you know anyway?'. And thinking that I've slacked off enough, I need to actually get writing again.

pernickety

Registered
Reaction score
Happy with my progress today. Edited a chapter as planned. However am wondering how many more times I'm going to 'just' read through and change a few essentials, and when I'm going to get going on query letters and sending it off...

sadbeautifultragic

Registered
Reaction score
I love this thread oh my God can I just like join in please

I have a weird post-apocalyptic thing that may or may not get written as I really don't know if I'd do it justice. I'm really used to writing contemporary and generally lighter stuff. Won't know if I don't try I guess?

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Too many things are on my mind to condense them into a sensibly-sized post.

I just posted in SYW for the first time. I abandoned a story I've started four times in the last month and a half. I can't decide whether I want to write a bit of something random for a 48-hour novel challenge this weekend or if I just want to ignore the whole thing. I need to read over my outline and decide if I like it or if I want to stuff around with some more stuff. It's 6 days until the day I decided was going to be the starting point for the second draft of the background story for a series. I don't know what's going to happen when I start writing on March 1st, since I've struggled to write any new fiction since mid-December. I can plan, analyse and brainstorm, but the 'create actual prose' part of me seems to be blocked.

If I'd said all that out loud, I probably would have tried to do it in a single breath and ended up in all kinds of trouble.

Shenanigans!

Registered
Reaction score
I've spent the week (Reading Week) writing my essays for the term and then writing my own work. Hopefully I can replicate this burst of writing in the summer for purely my own purposes. Some days I've gotten a lot done.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I spent the evening beta-reading a really good novel and really enjoying it. As for my own novel, I sent my mom an excerpt and she wrote this:

When are you going to KILL that guy and save those poor little kids? I can’t stand it. Hurry up and HELP THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ll see you on Sunday.

I love my mom. :tongue

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I spent the evening beta-reading a really good novel and really enjoying it. As for my own novel, I sent my mom an excerpt and she wrote this:

When are you going to KILL that guy and save those poor little kids? I can’t stand it. Hurry up and HELP THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ll see you on Sunday.

Your mom and I would totally get along. Listen to her!!!

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee

I’ll see you on Sunday.

Your mom is awesome. :D

sargeorge

Learning to tie my shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
I've missplaced a dog !!!

It needs to be in my next chapter but vanished four chapters ago with no explaination. Now I have to go back and put it back in somewhere.

scribofelidae

New(ish) kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
scribofelidae.wordpress.com
I am learning (…SLOWLY…) that I can't measure my progress in editing a WIP the same way I can measure my progress in drafting a WIP and that what feels like no progress is actually a different kind of progress, so long as I follow up on it.

Which means regularly throttling the voice in my head shouting, "But you aren't dooooooing something I can quantify!" :Ssh:

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I finally have energy again, writing about Fredericksburg is about the last thing I want to be doing. I just can't seem to settle down and focus on something so boring. I'd much rather be working on my novel, but the deadline is looming. :gaah

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I love this thread oh my God can I just like join in please

I love it too. I've been dipping my toe into other parts of the forum for months now, but this is still the only thread I feel completely comfortable participating in. :)

As for my own work, I'm trying to remain calm and pretend I'm not having a blast. These are the moments that make me love writing, but every time it's come around in the last two years my life has abruptly fallen apart. So, shhhhhh! ;)