Series books where the killer is MC and is manhunted?

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Kind of like Jack Reacher. Are there stories where the MC is a killer who's being hunted by the cops? Not mindless killing, but perhaps complexity in terms of morals, methods of evasion, gray areas, etc. Of course, the MC would have to be a survivalist, have good general knowledge, maybe even coming from an affluent background, going after police, officials, even other criminals and killers like himself. Anything?

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Well... my series features a mostly retired mob hitman on the run from the police. He is really a good guy, but he was convicted of killing a police officer and has escaped from prison a few times. The first book, Lead Poisoning, shows him trying to settle down in rural New Hampshire and getting into trouble, because that's what he does best. The second book, Stress Fractures, is more of a classic fugitive scenario, with him freshly escaped from prison in upstate New York, and scenes of the Deputy United States Marshal chasing him. He gets into trouble in that one too. I've had trouble getting agents interested in this series because I've had difficulty making my MC likeable enough.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Such stories are pretty common in noir. There have been at least three long series where the cops were after the MC because he was killing people in the mob, or drug dealers, etc.

Dave Williams

Zappa isn't frank!
Registered
Reaction score
Lawrence Block's "Hitman" novels. Dan J. Marlowe's "Drake" series. Most of Thomas Perry's "Jane Whitefield" books.

Andrew Vachss' "Burke" and F. Paul Wilson's "Repairman Jack" series are urban, but you might find them useful.

If you look into the Western genre, it's very common.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
John Locke's Donovan Creed series.
Amsterdam Assassin from Martyn V. Halm.

-cb

mobyrick

Registered
Reaction score
Probably an obvious one, but Patricia Highsmith's "Ripley" books are great, albeit not modern.

INTPwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Although not the actual killer of his wife, The Fugitive comes to mind. He's being hunted by law enforcement and there is definitely complexity in the story.