heavy on suspense, light on crime

tooloo

Registered
Reaction score
I’m been struck with an idea that I’m very excited to work on, but the more I think about it, the more concerned I become that I can’t pull off exactly what I envision.

Basically, a child is abducted – but the majority of the story is about his bitterly divorced parents, and stepparents, putting aside their differences for the sake of their mutual child. While rescuing the child is the overall plot, the abduction and interactions between the child and the abductor are mostly ‘behind the scenes.’

I want to create a sense of suspense, but the main focus is about the parents coming together (while addressing common dynamics of a divorce/step/blended family).

Do you think you could still create a sense of suspense and urgency, even if the crime isn’t in the limelight? Could you recommend any authors who focus more on other’s reaction to the crime, than the actual crime itself, while still maintaining edge of your seat tension?

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. The premise sounds more like a literary mystery than suspense, to me. If most of the plot is the family getting their act together I don't really see how it could be suspenseful at all. But then in most of the MTS books I read there are usually at least two bodies, if not six or more.

Of course Agatha Christie managed to make family drama suspenseful in that literally anyone could be the criminal, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
There is a book I had to look up, 'Still Missing' by Beth Gutcheon, from the early '80's that sounds similar to what you're thinking of doing. A child is kidnapped, but most of the story is about his mother's desperate belief that he's still alive, against all the doubters.
It has the divorced parents, the suspect, etc, and an ending both suspenseful and touching. Review with some possibly-useful details here: http://karensbooksandchocolate.blogspot.ca/2010/08/still-missing-by-beth-gutcheon.html

There was a movie based on the book, called 'Without A Trace'.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
To learn to write great suspense, I suggest Dean Koontz, Elizabeth George and Hitchcock films. Don't feel discouraged if someone else had a similar plot. No plot is unique. Your storytelling will make this book, this plot, your own.

Medea

advesperascit
Registered
Reaction score
It's not modern and it has a completely different kind of premise, but when I think of great suspense without the crime being at the forefront, I think of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca.